Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hiring my first employee

I will be hiring my first employee this season. Looking for suggestions on how to find the best possible employee. Where to advertise, what to put in the ad, etc. I need someone who can be trusted to work on their own, take care of equipment, etc. We will be very busy so no time for slackers, alcoholics or drug addicts.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

References will get good employees
Place add at local nurseries
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"slackers, alcoholics or drug addicts"

That's usually all you'll find willing to apply for physical labor. lol If you find one that is none of the above, treat him/her very, very well! They are few and far between.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Got a promising response to my ad last night. College graduate. Was a school teacher, then worked for state government agency before being laid off due to budget cuts. No prior experience mowing and prolly overqualified. Is this the kind of applicant that bolts for more money leaving me hanging mid season? Possibly tears up equipment or lawns due to inexperience?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a guy in a rough spot, as soon as he finds a better opportunity he'll be gone for. I had some issues hiring our first couple of guys last year. Try to keep a business relationship especially if its just you and your guy in the truck, it's easy for him to get confused and think he can make decisions for your company or that you two are friends of some kind. You want him to like you, but at the same time he needs to respect you, and that's the biggest issue I've run into. They think we're friends and try to push more and more. It's best to be up front with their expectations from the beginning and as soon as they step out of line even a little call them out on it, and make sure they realize that it will not be tolerated. Good luck
Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck on finding some good help. But sometimes it can be real hard to find the right person.

My best guy just started going to school during the day time and has a part time job at night. Now I'm in search for another person like him or better. But he's thinking about switching from days to night for school and coming back with me. But I'll see how it works out though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkler buddy View Post
"slackers, alcoholics or drug addicts"

that's usually all you'll find willing to apply for physical labor. Lol if you find one that is none of the above, treat him/her very, very well! They are few and far between.
i 110% agree !
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 5 or 6 applicants. Im going to be interviewing in a few weeks. Hopefully someone pans out.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower1 View Post
I have 5 or 6 applicants. Im going to be interviewing in a few weeks. Hopefully someone pans out.
GOODLUCK!!! 👍
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#1 DONT do it!!!

But if you do: Do this.

Don't hire someone experienced.
They will come with bad habits that will drive you nuts,
Hire for attitude, you can train the rest.

this idea of working on his own without supervision for the first year is fantasy land my friend.
It isn't going to happen, so stop it while you are ahead.
He will need a season, maybe two of training,
Pay the position, not the worker.
that means don't pay him what he's worth now, pay him what you want him to become.
IF he sucks don't punish him with low pay "because he isn't worth it" just replace him.

you think you will save money by paying low wage "until he get's better"
no, you won't…you will go through a dozen guys a season and anyone who is good or getting good will go work for the competition they applied for because now they have "experience", instead of confronting you for a raise.
So effectively you will just train the competitions help.

IF you want this guy to eventually work on his own? whats that worth? $16.hr?

That's what you pay, right out of the gate… hire the attitude and willingness to learn, pay him ore than he's worth and he will stick around as long as you treat him well…

Yea yea I know Im wrong and full of it…. do it like the rest of us have for years and relearn all our mistakes, after all doing it THAT way ha worked for everyone else. hasn't it? Oh wait…. no, it hasn't.