Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
#1 DONT do it!!!

But if you do: Do this.

Don't hire someone experienced.
They will come with bad habits that will drive you nuts,
Hire for attitude, you can train the rest.

this idea of working on his own without supervision for the first year is fantasy land my friend.
It isn't going to happen, so stop it while you are ahead.
He will need a season, maybe two of training,
Pay the position, not the worker.
that means don't pay him what he's worth now, pay him what you want him to become.
IF he sucks don't punish him with low pay "because he isn't worth it" just replace him.

you think you will save money by paying low wage "until he get's better"
no, you won't…you will go through a dozen guys a season and anyone who is good or getting good will go work for the competition they applied for because now they have "experience", instead of confronting you for a raise.
So effectively you will just train the competitions help.

IF you want this guy to eventually work on his own? whats that worth? $16.hr?

That's what you pay, right out of the gate… hire the attitude and willingness to learn, pay him ore than he's worth and he will stick around as long as you treat him well…

Yea yea I know Im wrong and full of it…. do it like the rest of us have for years and relearn all our mistakes, after all doing it THAT way ha worked for everyone else. hasn't it? Oh wait…. no, it hasn't.
Ease up man. I have applicants. I appreciate your enthusiasm for pessimism, but, I'm going to run my business the best way I know how. I'm not going to pay someone more than I can afford. Im hiring someone with experience because this position "REQUIRES" one to work on his own. See, I also have fert/weed control, pest control and sales to do. I will pay someone what the deserve based on local market value. You pay your guys what you want chief.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're area might be different but around me you won't find a person capable of doing a solo route for less than $16 an hour. Chances are if they're capable they're doing it on their own. Just my .02

You're better off working with him for a month or so to get him acclimated with how things are done, you could also ask Georgialawn, he's in kind of the same situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a great program in TN where the state helps with pre screening etc.. And TN is offering several diff. Financial incintives for hiring right now esp. Vets. Check and see if you have something similar ours is called TN career ans developement center and or Tn career center.
Cost 0 to use I had 40 plus apps today one has degree in landscape design and construction from UT did 6 month internship in formal gardens in Italy and is asking for 9.25 hour to start. He has been working for competitor here.
Hiring good people just comes down to looking in right spot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
We have a great program in TN where the state helps with pre screening etc.. And TN is offering several diff. Financial incintives for hiring right now esp. Vets. Check and see if you have something similar ours is called TN career ans developement center and or Tn career center.
Cost 0 to use I had 40 plus apps today one has degree in landscape design and construction from UT did 6 month internship in formal gardens in Italy and is asking for 9.25 hour to start. He has been working for competitor here.
Hiring good people just comes down to looking in right spot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Now that is a response. Thank You.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hire college aged kids May thru August. Have gotten lucky so far. Gets a little hairy in Sept and Oct as I am swinging those two months myself, but so far I have managed.

I don't think I can find post-college adults willing to work only seasonally (I do snow solo and will never hire for that).
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I hire college aged kids May thru August. Have gotten lucky so far. Gets a little hairy in Sept and Oct as I am swinging those two months myself, but so far I have managed.

I don't think I can find post-college adults willing to work only seasonally (I do snow solo and will never hire for that).
what about school teachers just starting out? young maybe doesn't have a family yet? a little older than the college kids, but same basic schedule.

this industry is actually full of adults who only work seasonally… you're one of them
Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good help is hard to find. I wouldn't personally hire the college grad. He will be gone at first better opportunity. Hire someone you like working with. We always hire people from different law cares that have been fired for reasons that won't affect them here. I got one that didn't punch the code to close the gate at a retirement home and had a Alzheimer's patient walk out and one wrecked the bosses truck while texting. They were fired. I'm the only person that drives my truck. They are very good workers. I don't have time to teach people that don't know how to start a trimmer.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
Good help is hard to find. I wouldn't personally hire the college grad. He will be gone at first better opportunity. Hire someone you like working with. We always hire people from different law cares that have been fired for reasons that won't affect them here. I got one that didn't punch the code to close the gate at a retirement home and had a Alzheimer's patient walk out and one wrecked the bosses truck while texting. They were fired. I'm the only person that drives my truck. They are very good workers. I don't have time to teach people that don't know how to start a trimmer.

You know what's funny about the whole Alzhiemer's patient thing?
The kid who didn't close the gate gets paid $12/hr. The Aide that works there watching over a dozen patients gets paid $9-10/hr and the patients that stay there pay tens and tens of thousands to stay there (either through their families, estates or insurance) and SOMEHOW…it's the LAWN MOWER KID'S fault the patient got out.

That's like trusting a $9/hr employee with the secret sauce to mcdonalds big mac recipe! Look how that turned out for Big D? Now everyone knows what the 'special sauce' is.

I wouldn't have fired a kid for that.
Even if I lost the contract.

THAT would have been MY fault.

Tell you what bruno, check all the gates, everything is done properly, take pics with your cell with a time/date stamp that all the gates are locked, and there is an EXTRA $100 in it for you.
No checks. no pics. no bucks.

but expecting a 12/hr employee to not forget something and endanger your contract?? yeeeeah…NOT the kids fault.
Give him a reason/incentive and it WILL get done.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. He has been with me for four years. I have my headaches but for 90 percent of the time he is a loyal, hard working hand. You don't pay someone 10 dollars an hr and give him responsibility that can cost you tens of thousands.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower1 View Post
Ease up man. I have applicants. I appreciate your enthusiasm for pessimism, but, I'm going to run my business the best way I know how. I'm not going to pay someone more than I can afford. Im hiring someone with experience because this position "REQUIRES" one to work on his own. See, I also have fert/weed control, pest control and sales to do. I will pay someone what the deserve based on local market value. You pay your guys what you want chief.

Curious how many of your applicants were/are still wanting interviews?

Interviewing applicants in a few weeks?
I can't even get someone to show up on time; much less a few weeks from now. Thoroughly respect that situations vary.
Please follow-up with results.