Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Well. I'm a little t'd off. I ran this machine on the seller's property fro an hour or so. Everything looked fine. Took it home and ran if for an hour or so on my dirt pile. As I mentioned before, it had a very slight gear oil leak (just a damp spot really) coming from behind the sprocket. It's been raining or snowing since, so I really haven't been able to do too much as far as work goes. After working it a little and sitting for the last week or so, it still had no more that a damp spot back there. Today, I used the TR with the new 4n1 to cleanup some big tree limbs I chainsawed up, and the gear oil is now leaking out pretty bad. Looks like a trip to the dealer. I'm hoping for the best.
Maybe the oil gets thin when it gets warm and leaks more. If it's not a bad leak, can a heavier gear oil or Lucas be mixed in to thicken it up until you can get a proper repair or is it part of the motor drives and run off the machines hydraulic oil?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea. I may drain it and try heavier gear oil just to see if it helps. If I we get a break in the weather I need to get it to work. I'm new to these ctl's as far as how everything functions, but it's gear oil for sure, not hydraulic.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't run the drives dry. Get in to be looked over.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't be leaking at all, it must be a seal going bad and shrinking and expanding like Yellow said. I would drain it and fill back up and watch it closely. Those reservoirs only hold about 1 Qt. each, so make sure it's not leaking out too much or you'll ruin your final drives. I use Napa Premium 80-90W in mine, and they recommend you change the fluid at every oil change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You bet I will. I heard a horror story concerning the subject from a guy that was a salesman for NH.

From the parts breakdown I found online, it looks like there's a floating type seal between the motor and final drive. I'd say that looks like the problem.

Thanks dozerman. I'll be watching it closely.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spoke with the engineer that did the testing on the drives that are in the Alpha series. He stated that the Bonfiglioli drives that they put in the Alpha's lasted longer without oil than the Rexroth drives did with oil. Certainly it was somewhat in jest, but the drives in those machines are very solid. I very much doubt its any thing serious.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I spoke with the engineer that did the testing on the drives that are in the Alpha series. He stated that the Bonfiglioli drives that they put in the Alpha's lasted longer without oil than the Rexroth drives did with oil. Certainly it was somewhat in jest, but the drives in those machines are very solid. I very much doubt its any thing serious.
I don't think so either. You know how it is though when you want to get to work. I'll give ASCO a call tomorrow and check it out.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Maybe the oil gets thin when it gets warm and leaks more. If it's not a bad leak, can a heavier gear oil or Lucas be mixed in to thicken it up until you can get a proper repair or is it part of the motor drives and run off the machines hydraulic oil?
I was interested in using Lucas as an additive, but since I've heard mixed reviews in the past I decided to research it a bit. I came up with a test on Bob is the oil guy's site. http://web.archive.org/web/201009261...ucas/lucas.htm

IMHO, I don't think I'll be using Lucas in anything.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a call from the service manager today. Says they can't get the seal for the final drive and that I need a new one?!! I call BS. I need to figure out how to get in touch with the regional rep. Having to purchase an entire final drive for a machine with 760 hrs on it because of a leak is ridiculous.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
I got a call from the service manager today. Says they can't get the seal for the final drive and that I need a new one?!! I call BS. I need to figure out how to get in touch with the regional rep. Having to purchase an entire final drive for a machine with 760 hrs on it because of a leak is ridiculous.

that is pretty lame IF it is a serviceable drive. I hope you reach the regional guy and get a better answer.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing