Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've spoken with Loader Parts Source (thanks Construct'O) and ConEquip regarding the purchase of a remanufactured drive motor. Anyone have dealings with either one of them?

YellowDog - Good tip on the Lucas, I was wrong. I'm using their heavy hub oil. It's the only one that they suggest for planetaries. It didn't fix the leak, but it did slow it down a tad. The BIG plus is that it doesn't smell like gear oil!

Edit: Lucas does also suggest their trans oil for planetaries, but I didn't want to go that direction.

Last edited by JNB Construction; 04-01-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So...an update is in order. On the job, my hydraulic lines to to the defective drivemotor rubbed through, stranding the machine. CASE is well aware of this problem but had not initiated a recall or helped with replacement costs. I decided that while the lines were being replaced (which required track and drivemotor removal) that the drivemotor should be replaced. Cost including towing of a dead machine...over $7k.

An update
Unloaded my CASE TR320 from the trailer after the drivemotor/hydraulic hose repair, hooked up the bucket and parked it last week. It's been sitting there ever since. The total cost for the repair including the service tech call and towing of the dead machine... a shade over $7k.

This afternoon I walk out to the shop and hear the hydraulic cooling fan on the engine lid of my CASE TR320 CTL running. Since it rained last night, I thought that maybe the connector at the fan motor had gotten wet. When I opened the cab door I found the HVAC motor running and smelled burning electrical. At that moment smoke started pouring from behind the cup holder! I grabbed my fire extinguisher from the shop and shot it in there and removed the cup holder panel. The smoke was coming from the front (accessory) fuse/relay distribution block. When I removed the cover flames started coming out of the distribution block!

While I'm trying to pull out the burning relays, my wife's grandfather was trying to get the positive battery cable unhooked. After burning the heck out of my fingers removing the relays and dosing the area with fire extinguisher contents, he gets the battery disconnected and I get the fire under control.

#1 My fuse blocks are both mounted upside down, so it took me awhile to figure out which relays had fried. Turns out it was the EH (electric/hydraulic) Control Module relay and Option Relay. In the upside down configuration, the relays are mounted directly underneath the door seal.

#2 The accessory fuse box melted. The dealer tells me that to repair it they have to replace the entire harness, which includes removing the engine. $5000 minimum for the repair!!

I'm so ******* ****** off right now I could eat bricks! My lungs are full of fire extinguisher crud and smoke. If it was water that shorted something out, wouldn't a fuse blow? What about all of the machines without a cab? Those fuse boxes have no protection at all from the elements. Did the dealer pinch off wires somewhere when they had the cab up for two weeks? And just how do I prove that?

I'll call CASE once again to start an incident number, but them saying that they will help out is very unlikely. From my prior conversations with them they're about as helpful as **** on a ****.

This is a freaking 2012 machine with less than 850 hrs on it! One drivemotor/final and two electrical panel replacements under warranty...Now a blown hydraulic hose to the drivemotor, one more drivemotor/final drive replaced AND an electrical fire!

Sorry...had to vent.

I'm a one man show with a New Holland tractor and a CASE CTL, and I've been a faithful CNH customer since they became CNH. Ford before that. The expenses I've incurred to repair my CASE machine have already put my plans for building a new home for my family on hold. If they don't step up to the plate this time...they will have lost me as a customer forever. Whatever the outcome, I will document it right here.

The only reason I was near my CASE today is because I was going to take photos of the paint for another thread I have going on elsewhere on the net. If I hadn't gone out there right then...this could have been a major disaster for me and my family. The machine is parked less than 5 feet from my shop and less than 10 feet from our PROPANE TANK!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! Glad you caught it before it got too bad. I may have let it go and get the insurance to cover it, let them duke it out with Case and get a different machine. Please do not take this comment as brand bashing, but that's more trouble than I have had with my machine in nearly 5,000 hours...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just glad that nobody was hurt or your property damaged.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So sorry to read of your troubles. That has to suck big time, especially since you're a one-man-band (I am too).
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

That is a disgusting and disheartening story. If you don't get the proper answers from Case it might not be a bad idea to consult an Attorney (even though its more money out of pocket). Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There has to be insurance coverage on that fire. I think there is a problem with that machine.. obviously. It's very likely there was a problem created while they worked on it.

I had to replace my motor a couple of years ago after a small fire. I got the machine back without the oil or fuel filters being changed (fuel tank had burned a hole in it and was full of soot and water which plugged the filter.
I got it back with loose wires, bolts, and a loose muffler.
I recently had it in the shop for something minor and got it back only to have the formerly ice-cold AC not working and it turns out they may have damaged an A/C line while they were working on something else and it's been down almost 3 weeks.

It happens but i would get insurance involved on that fire asap and either total that machine or get it completely repaired. My insurance was great and responsive and let dealer replace everything they needed to for a $500 deductible.

Sorry you are going through this.. I've been there more than a few times with trucks and machines.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-11-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a fire in my 465 while mulching. 12K worth of damage and insurance picked it up. Runs like a champ.

After kicking some dirt, I have been unable to find another example of this happening. It is certainly not a frequent problem, that leads me to believe that something was pinched or dicked with while it was being worked on in such a way as to start the fire.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.