Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerway View Post
Its one thing for a grocery store to advertise it price on identical products, but like the grass cutter next door advertising $25 lawn cuts doesn't make sense cause every lawn is different. So then basically you're advertising your minimum charge which is also pointless.
right but again that's what other industries do as well and they're not identical. "as low as"..."rates starting at". go to any car dealer website. theres the bare minimum price and then when you click on it you modify and upgrade to meet your needs. phone carriers do it too. "rates starting as low as"... i understand every lawn is different but half the battle is getting them to call you first. and once they do call, you now have a lead. i just think it would generate more interest and people more likely to call.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
right but again that's what other industries do as well and they're not identical. "as low as"..."rates starting at". go to any car dealer website. theres the bare minimum price and then when you click on it you modify and upgrade to meet your needs. phone carriers do it too. "rates starting as low as"... i understand every lawn is different but half the battle is getting them to call you first. and once they do call, you now have a lead. i just think it would generate more interest and people more likely to call.
Nothing wrong with thinking "outside the box". I'm doing door-to-door, residential snow removal in target neighborhoods. I can't believe how much lawn business I've picked up, already, by doing that. It's beyond me how LCOs can let their customers fend for themselves, during the winter months. It's a great way to make winter money (more than I can mowing) and network, at the same time.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Torn on this thread.Sounds like a good marketing strategy but on the other hand it almost sounds like your trying to low ball(which I'm sure your not)?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

It wouldn't entice ME to call, but hey .. who knows .. maybe it will work for you. Try it and let us know how it works out for ya' Worst case scenario .. you lose the price of the sign, and possibly a bit of business from a few folks who are turned-off by the ploy.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Lawn ServiceLLC View Post
it almost sounds like your trying to low ball(which I'm sure your not)?
Posted via Mobile Device
oh definitely not. just choosing a starting price that's all. i don't want anyone to take the price so literally but rather look at the marketing strategy and it's effectiveness in getting phone calls. thinking about doing it on my upcoming spring mailers as well. i could put $30 but that may potentially sway someone not to call that i would otherwise cut for $25. again, it's very rare that i do charge $25 but rather display the cheaper price. in my opinion it's about getting them on the phone or even better meeting them in person. after that you can up sell them, which is always easier to do in person.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure I guess it might work but your going to have all your costumers wanting that $25 cut I know that's your starting price but I know costumers they always want to save money and your going to be the new low baller in your town but if you need more jobs try it you can always take it off if it don't work out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

hehe ... put a disclaimer on your sign in 6pt type ... "Not a typical charge .. only applies to lawns & grasses that are extremely easy to cut and can be completed in 5 minutes or less .. stated charge of $25 is an absolute minimum and the preceeding stated conditions must be met without exception to be considered for the stated rate .. your individual circumstances will cause your mileage to vary drastically. Terms & conditions subject to change without notice."

just kidding ... ... ...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you should try it and then come back here in a few months and tell us how it worked out. I read on here last spring how door hangers would have a 1-2% return. So I said the heck with it and ordered 1,000. I only put 200 out because I picked up all the lawns I could handle. (I am a part time guy with 35 accounts.) I had a return rate of 6%. So give it a try and let us know.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
oh definitely not. just choosing a starting price that's all. i don't want anyone to take the price so literally but rather look at the marketing strategy and it's effectiveness in getting phone calls. thinking about doing it on my upcoming spring mailers as well. i could put $30 but that may potentially sway someone not to call that i would otherwise cut for $25. again, it's very rare that i do charge $25 but rather display the cheaper price. in my opinion it's about getting them on the phone or even better meeting them in person. after that you can up sell them, which is always easier to do in person.
I understand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwhit81 View Post
I read on here last spring how door hangers would have a 1-2% return. So I said the heck with it and ordered 1,000. I only put 200 out because I picked up all the lawns I could handle. (I am a part time guy with 35 accounts.) I had a return rate of 6%.
I was just inquiring about those, yesterday. I have a few neighborhoods I want to target. I'm struggling with the outlay, at this point. I know a certain return is there, but, at what point does one not throw money, hoping it sticks.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer