Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

how important is business name?

I dont know what to call my lawn and landscape business. I did make my own website a couple yrs. ago for some side work. Here it is, http://greenxtreme.info/
Its nothing special, but only costs me about $35/yr. to have.
My wife goes to me the other night, why dont i just call my business by my name, Ed's Lawn and Landscape. My step father has been mowing for over 20 yrs. and his lawn business is Pete Gray's Lawn Service.
I kinda like the name GreenXTreme Lawn and Landscape, its kinda cool, imo.
I dont know, what do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends what you are trying to do with your business. If you just want to get enough work to keep you and a couple guys busy, then your own name is fine. If you want to create a multimillion dollar company, then you might want to use a more corporate type name.

Ultimately, your success is much more dependent on how you market and operate your business than what you name it.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about "Gothic Landscape" Just kidding! Besides its already taken!!

The biggest issue is that you don't duplicate, or even come close to a name of an already existing company. Lest you run into problems when you go to register with the State.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a topic that interests me greatly. I spent about 3 months coming up with my name. And ultimately, I decided on Armsden Landscaping. Armsden being my last name. Not only did I struggle with the Armsden part but the landscaping part as well. See, where I come from, which is the greater Boston area, it is very popular to name companies by the last name of the owner and then... landscaping. Traditionally, landscaping means "improving the aesthetic appearance of a piece of land by changing it's contours, adding ornamental features, or planting trees and shrubs."

Are these the only things that all the "Last Name here Landscaping" companies do? Absolutely not. And like I said, it's just kind of tradition for companies to name themselves this way. I love tradition and this plays a big part in why I chose Armsden Landscaping. You will see lots of companies using "Last Name here Land and Lawn Care" now-a-days which is a sort of all encompassing way to go about it. I like this too, it's covering all the bases. The point is, a potential customer that goes online most likely won't be as naive to skip over Armsden Landscaping if they only need lawn mowing. In my opinion, the terms : Landscaping, Lawn Care, Land Care, Grounds Management, Grounds Care, Property Management, Grounds Services, Landscape Management, can all be meant to define the list of usual suspects... lawn mowing, clean ups, plantings, pruning, aeration, patios, tree work, etc.

Now, there are also companies that do not include the above mentioned words. Companies such as Groundmasters, Early Riser, Pro Turf, Ambius, and even GreenXtreme go the opposite way with one or two word titles that sometimes include an "industry word" and sometimes not. I had about 15 titles like these in my line-up for potential company names. But, I stuck with Armsden Landscaping. Partly because I think I have a unique last name and it can be catchy. And partly because I want to remember my roots and all of those Boston based companies that had family names attached to them.

Is a business name important? In my opinion? Absolutely. It is your company's handshake, it's first impression. Sure, word of mouth is big in our industry but so is marketing and branding.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Is a business name important? In my opinion? Absolutely. It is your company's handshake, it's first impression.
Agreed.

When someone sees my company name and presentation, it's a given they're going to receive "First Class" service. Otherwise, I may as well just call my company "Hack Jobs-R-Us".

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys! We spent $75,000 on marketing for the first quarter of the year and for some reason Dewy Ruine Lawn Services has not received a single phone call so the first thing we should do is call the phone company to make sure the phone line is working properly.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHaHa!!! Dewy Ruine!!!! I am dying laughing!

Hey Ducnut, don't remember if I have gotten the chance to tell you how much I like not only your name but how professional, slick, and shiny your truck and trailer combo is..... Awesome stuff man...
Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

A Bad Name for the South

I grew up hearing the slang terms for the guys cutting grass. "lawn Ninja" "Lawn Monkey" "Lawn Jockey" "Grass Whacker" I loved the Name Lawn Jockey and chose it for my business name.

For some reason I get a few racial responses from it. People are either offended by it or they are telling me I am the coolest racist they know because I am bold enough to put it out there like that.

Before I named my company I looked up the history of the name Lawn Jockey cause I was curious. It was a statue of a slave of George Washington. George had the statue made to symbolize the Integrity, Service and Excellence of one of his slaves that lost his life in a Winter storm. So I was like slam dunk.
I just got out of the Air Force and our motto was Integrity first. Service before self. Excellence in all we do.

I guess the Lawn Jockey has a different meaning for some folks in the south. I guess I shoulda saw that coming. I don't mean to turn this into a hate or race thread. Don't go there.
I am just saying do some more research and bounce the name off a few more minds before you put it on a street sign.

Whole buncha crud
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_jockey View Post
...our motto was Integrity first. Service before self. Excellence in all we do.
Nice! Here's one for you all...

Professional
Results
In
Daily
Efforts

(read down, its PRIDE).
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Nice! Here's one for you all...