Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2015, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

gravely pro walk 36g- belt adjustment help?????

hey guys, i purchased a used gravely pro walk 36g recently at a pawn shop… the unit has 70 hours on it. the controls never felt right since i purchased it, they're very tight. it took two hands just to set the right brake. it would appear one of the arms is hitting the pulley every time i go to set the brake… could it be a stretched belt? stretched brake? i'm not sure

see the video and photos for the problem

"you can't have million dollar dreams with a minimum wage work ethic"
Old 03-07-2015, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The brake is adjusted too tight, this is the adjustment point;

Remove the clip or cotter pin holding the adjuster to the plate, twist the adjuster up off the rod. In other words make the rod longer on the bottom with less sticking out the top, back it off a few turns then put it back on and check the brake lever stiffness.

Adjust until you can latch the lever and still have braking function...... As you make this adjustment the pulley will stop hitting the rod.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
The brake is adjusted too tight, this is the adjustment point;

Remove the clip or cotter pin holding the adjuster to the plate, twist the adjuster up off the rod. In other words make the rod longer on the bottom with less sticking out the top, back it off a few turns then put it back on and check the brake lever stiffness.

Adjust until you can latch the lever and still have braking function...... As you make this adjustment the pulley will stop hitting the rod.....
thanks for the reply rob. i spent awhile looking at it today in my garage and played with the adjustments. if i adjust it so the rod doesn't hit the pulley, i've got no brake. if i adjust it to a point the brake grabs, the rod is hitting the pulley again. there is no adjustment for the band brakes, i'm thinking it could be possible that the bands stretched from sitting so long? it has 70 hours, but probably spent a good while sitting the last 3 years. i'm going to try an order new belts and brake bands to see if that will solve it.

two of the pulleys need replaced already, previous owner/ company probably never touched any of the grease fittings. found that out today when i was looking over things.

"you can't have million dollar dreams with a minimum wage work ethic"
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247chevy View Post
thanks for the reply rob. i spent awhile looking at it today in my garage and played with the adjustments. if i adjust it so the rod doesn't hit the pulley, i've got no brake. if i adjust it to a point the brake grabs, the rod is hitting the pulley again. there is no adjustment for the band brakes, i'm thinking it could be possible that the bands stretched from sitting so long? it has 70 hours, but probably spent a good while sitting the last 3 years. i'm going to try an order new belts and brake bands to see if that will solve it.

two of the pulleys need replaced already, previous owner/ company probably never touched any of the grease fittings. found that out today when i was looking over things.
GRAVELY has a website, ya know.
Seems to me If I spent good money on a mower, of any make, first thing I'd do is hit the mfg. website up for a manual.
I know they have owners manuals for downloadin', cause I snagged one last year for a wiring diagram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

......AMF!