Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help on this one

Guy brought me a makita bhx2500 4 stroke handheld blower. It has robin eh025 engine on it. This thing is giving me fits.Compression test on this thing is right at 200. Guy said it lost power. Found out the choke lever was broke and was sitting on full choke all the time. Cranked the engine after got off choke smoked little bit. Only runs on idle. Won't go to full speed. It try's too but eventually cuts off. Carb is a walbro wyl. Cleaned real good. Took jet out in middle with O oring and shot it out good. Gaskets are so so. Took cover off to take exhaust off and it had dirt buildup around valve cover gasket oily dirt that is on the fins. Cleaned this. I know I need to do leakdown test. Haven't done this yet. Maybe the filter cover gasket is bad it is hard. Do you think the valve cover gasket would be my problem with the high compression or just too much carbon buildup. Fixing blower for old guy my aunts father inlaw. Not for this I wouldn't even want to look at. Would just tell them to buy new blower. Thanks for any help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

put a new plug in it then try. because after full choke being stuck you know its fouled
Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like the Makita RBL500(backpack) that I had in the shop recently, your BHX2500 is a discontinued model. Completely different engine designs but I happened to find a jug loose on the crankcase. If you are finding oily residue on the impeller, you may want to check to see if you have a case halves leak. Even though you have good compression, if the case halves are leaking, it's going to suck excessive air--at idle speeds it may run but going to WOT will be a problem. Too many unknowns at this point for me to comment further.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do the carb spray around the seals, carb mount and case halves with it running at idle. Sounds like a big air leak to me too.
Posted via Mobile Device