Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki fh541v 17hp motor issues on exmark tthp

I have a 2007 exmark turf tracer hp with a 17 hp kawasaki motor. Has maybe 400 hours. Engine has been surging from idle to nearly full throttle. Doesn't surge at wot but engine doesn't sound smooth. I have done research and tried all the secrets and tricks on here. I've had the carburetor off 8 times cleaning it and pretty much dissecting the thing cleaning every port and hole there is hoping that every time I bolt it back on that i knocked some microscopic piece out and it's going to run like a top, but that wasn't the case. I've replaced fuel filter, air filter. I've called dealers and they mention its the carb with my symptoms. One thing is while its idling and surging I can pull the choke up a bit and it smooths out and that's why I'm assuming they say its carburetor. I'm about to give up! Is it a governor issue? Or should I just buy a new carburetor and try that? Any advice or info is appreciated!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is you air vane governor working smoothly--lubed--not binding in any way?
New carb...good idea.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Is you air vane governor working smoothly--lubed--not binding in any way?
New carb...good idea.

No vane governor and new carb bad idea for now.......

TDM713,

Start the engine cold and set throttle to where it surges, Spray carb & choke cleaner around the intake manifold and carb mount gaskets and see if surge changes.......

Have you checked/adjusted the valves yet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have sprayed around all the intakes where gaskets are and nothing changes. Havent had the valves adjusted though. I took it to the local small engine guy this morning and I told him what all I have done. He seems to think I may have got the governor out of adjustment or that it may be something worn out with the governor internally which I hope not!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Found out that it could possibly be head gaskets and valve cover gaskets. That's what we are fixing to replace to see if that fixes the issues. I will let you know!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM713 View Post
One thing is while its idling and surging I can pull the choke up a bit and it smooths out

I hate to say it but....... I've never in my 30+ years had a engine do the above with blown head gaskets, In fact..... I don't recall ever seeing a blown head gasket cause surging......

Me thinks your being take'n for a ride......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I hate to say it but....... I've never in my 30+ years had a engine do the above with blown head gaskets, In fact..... I don't recall ever seeing a blown head gasket cause surging......

Me thinks your being take'n for a ride......
Me too.....
You either have a sucked in intake gasket or a piece of trash the size of a junebug in the carb...
Wouldnt hurt to adjust the valves...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

First time for everything! I took the shroud off and you could feel air blowing big time and no it wasn't air off the flywheel. The engine makes a popping sound as well which is sucking air. I'm pretty confident that replacing all the top end gaskets are going to fix it. I have done everything else but that!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Back in business! Problem solved and runs like a top now. Although before i mentioned cleaning out the carb several times and still surging. We found that one head gasket was blown so we replaced both head gaskets, both valve cover gaskets and exhaust gaskets. That didn't completely fix the surging so it had to be the carb. I found a brand new one on eBay that had the throttle shaft missing for $40 so I couldn't pass up that offer. Better than paying nearly $300 for a new one! So upon getting the new one, I notice a factory seal on top that covers a jet was missing on mine and right then I knew that was where the air was getting sucked in therefore causing the surging. I took the throttle shaft out of the old one and put it in the new one and bolted it on! Ran smooth as silk! Thanks to all the help! You guys were right, the head gasket didn't fix it but it wasn't a waste because they were nearly blowed out!