Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I've not worked on any Kaw. dfi units, but, as mentioned, it sure sounds like a gov. issue. The part about running OK with the blades on ( loaded) is one symptom.
Is the gov link spring in place? Its the small coil spring around the link rod and hooked into throt. and gov levers. It helps take up any slop in the linkage. Are you working with the Kaw. shop manual? If so, it has a pretty detailed gov section.
Actually I meant to say the Fuel System pages 2-8 thru 2-10

......AMF!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like soccer practice with the kids will consume tonight's work time. There is two brackets that in a way "scissor" with adjustment. I really hate how the throttle is only raised via 1 spring. Seems to be a headache in some other threads I've read. throttle rod spring is also present and in good shape. Kaw manual for sure. Thank you guys for the input for the all mighty thought process. I will report as soon as I can
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

No go! Adjusted governor and it ran great. Even pushed on the arms to disrupt the rpm and it settled right down. Shut the thing off, turned it back on then it started the same ol surging crap. I also loosened gas cap to see if it was drawing a vacuum. No change. So frustrating!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

We have had issues with this before. I would check to see if the engine is showing any fault code. Usually, I have found it to show an atmospheric pressure code. If I remember correctly, it shows a fault code of 22. Try turning the key to the on position and let sit for a few seconds, then try starting it.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

bfarm, yes i have checked for fault codes, when turning on the ign it will not flash a code. in addition to checking for codes, i have checked powers and grounds to the map sensor and have monitored sensing voltage to check for correct voltage atmospheric and under load. both check good against repair manual.

the only thing that i have done that has changed anything was install a stronger and weaker spring that goes between throttle brackets and governor brackets. both the stronger and weaker spring made the surge faster. I recommend him to try replacing the $2.68. If that fixes it, all i can do is laugh at this point!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Pinch off the fuel return line. If surging stops, replace the fuel regulator.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Has new regulator, no change when pinched off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is the throttle shaft worn? It will wear over time and air will suck through the gap. Put some grease on thick on both sides of the shaft and see if it solves it.
Posted via Mobile Device