Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rate for seeding, fertilizer.

I'm new to this type of service and I was wondering about prices on seeding and that kind of materials.(lime weed and feed seed fertilizer) any advice is greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should find out your costs first, per 1k for all materials needed. Then, create a cost list for everything per 1k and or per job. Figure out what you want to make, figure out what your profit margins should be.

Find out what your market will bare, don't do apps for too cheap. You're only screwing yourself because prices of materials can sky rocket out of left field.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
You should find out your costs first, per 1k for all materials needed. Then, create a cost list for everything per 1k and or per job. Figure out what you want to make, figure out what your profit margins should be.

Find out what your market will bare, don't do apps for too cheap. You're only screwing yourself because prices of materials can sky rocket out of left field.
Thanks so much!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Feed is fine--seed is fine--lime is fine--you cannot spray or do weed control without your pesticide license.

Be sure you understand--the major expense is in the labor--particularly soil preparation. And that can vary a lot.

And you may have a major problem with callbacks. People don't water sometimes. If the seed doesn't come up as expected or promised, you probably will be called back to do it all again--or maybe not get paid at all.

Experience is a great teacher. There is nothing like doing a job twice--to help you remember to do it right the first time.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Feed is fine--seed is fine--lime is fine--you cannot spray or do weed control without your pesticide license.

Be sure you understand--the major expense is in the labor--particularly soil preparation. And that can vary a lot.

And you may have a major problem with callbacks. People don't water sometimes. If the seed doesn't come up as expected or promised, you probably will be called back to do it all again--or maybe not get paid at all.

Experience is a great teacher. There is nothing like doing a job twice--to help you remember to do it right the first time.
By weed control I just mean like a weed and feed bag or crabgrass preventer. Do I need a lisence to do that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So this is what I worked up for lime rates per 1,000 square ft.

Cost of fertilizer about 4.50
I do 5lbs per 1,000 square feet, so with one bag I can cover about 8,000 square feet and it's about .55 per 1,000 square foot of lime cost to me.
So,
$4.00 per square foot, and for larger yards (20,000 sq ft) 3.50 per 1,000 sq ft and for even larger jobs (40,000 sq ft) $3.00 per sq ft.
Are these good prices? I want to be cheaper than others, and I'm a really small business and could use the work, but on the other hand I don't want to feel like each lime job is not worth it! Thanks for your replays!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand. Lime and Fertilizer are two different things. Are you talking about lime or fertilizer? 5 lbs of lime per 1k isn't much, are you gonna do a soil test in advance to see how much lime is needed?

Also, for any pesticides applied your gonna have to have an applicators license whether its granular or liquid. Not to sure of the laws on applying fert in your state though. I would contact your state ag department, figure out how to get a license. Get and study the books available, practice on your on lawn first. I wouldn't want to learn the hard way by messing up someone elses lawn. You may want to consider subbing these services out until you get comfortable with that aspect of the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
So this is what I worked up for lime rates per 1,000 square ft.

Cost of fertilizer about 4.50
I do 5lbs per 1,000 square feet, so with one bag I can cover about 8,000 square feet and it's about .55 per 1,000 square foot of lime cost to me.
So,
$4.00 per square foot, and for larger yards (20,000 sq ft) 3.50 per 1,000 sq ft and for even larger jobs (40,000 sq ft) $3.00 per sq ft.
Are these good prices? I want to be cheaper than others, and I'm a really small business and could use the work, but on the other hand I don't want to feel like each lime job is not worth it! Thanks for your replays!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I don't understand. Lime and Fertilizer are two different things. Are you talking about lime or fertilizer? 5 lbs of lime per 1k isn't much, are you gonna do a soil test in advance to see how much lime is needed?

Also, for any pesticides applied your gonna have to have an applicators license whether its granular or liquid. Not to sure of the laws on applying fert in your state though. I would contact your state ag department, figure out how to get a license. Get and study the books available, practice on your on lawn first. I wouldn't want to learn the hard way by messing up someone elses lawn. You may want to consider subbing these services out until you get comfortable with that aspect of the business.
I am talking about lime, no have not done a soil ph test, and customer is not really interested in doing that. That being said it is really actually a nice yard, nothing so fancy but nice steady growth and is pretty green. He is interested in lime but the yard and soil are nice, so I was thinking just a light applacation. And this is a big question for me, I have used lime once before and turned the applactor at full release and it did not nearly let off the suggested 40 lbs per 1000 sq ft. So do you overlap? (Obviously the amount of lime depends on the soil, but I am just trying to get an idea of how to apply that much) thank you so so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a couple of comments and questions. As far as the weed and feed and crabgrass preventer. You need a license to apply either of those but more importantly some or many of those can prevent germination of your lawn seed. Crabgrass preventer for instance works by keeping the crabgrass seed from germinating. It will do the same for lawn seed. The good side is that you don't really need either to plant a lawn. Regular fertilizer at this time does not require a license in many states (most actually). This is starting to change.

Another thing that I have not heard you mention is mulch. If you just spread the seed and don't cover it with anything you may find you have poor results. You should think about covering the seed with straw or compost. Between the two I like compost better but I would hate to see you waste the time and money to not cover it with anything.

If it helps any I am a hydroseeder. My seeds where I am are different than yours and I use hydromulch not straw or compost but the costs should be about the same and my cost per sq. ft. is about 2 cents. My charge to my customers is usually between 10 and 20 cents a sq. ft.

I think I recall you saying you want to be cheaper than anyone else. Well, for one lawn or so to get started that is ok but I find it helps your business to be better than anyone else rather than cheaper.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
Here are a couple of comments and questions. As far as the weed and feed and crabgrass preventer. You need a license to apply either of those but more importantly some or many of those can prevent germination of your lawn seed. Crabgrass preventer for instance works by keeping the crabgrass seed from germinating. It will do the same for lawn seed. The good side is that you don't really need either to plant a lawn. Regular fertilizer at this time does not require a license in many states (most actually). This is starting to change.

Another thing that I have not heard you mention is mulch. If you just spread the seed and don't cover it with anything you may find you have poor results. You should think about covering the seed with straw or compost. Between the two I like compost better but I would hate to see you waste the time and money to not cover it with anything.

If it helps any I am a hydroseeder. My seeds where I am are different than yours and I use hydromulch not straw or compost but the costs should be about the same and my cost per sq. ft. is about 2 cents. My charge to my customers is usually between 10 and 20 cents a sq. ft.

I think I recall you saying you want to be cheaper than anyone else. Well, for one lawn or so to get started that is ok but I find it helps your business to be better than anyone else rather than cheaper.
Fist off, thank you! And the price wise, that is defiantly a great point, for starting out I think I'll try to be cheaper, but once I'm on my feet and have customers that recommend me and such then I will "up my game" try to offer better quality and also I'll stick around the "regular" rates around, but I'd rather sell my service rather than my price!
And I do have a question about covering the seed, you said you use compost, when you lay compost does it just eventually just work it's way down from the top of the grass into the existing soil? And do you lay a full cover of compost over the seed? I've used straw before and kinda still plan on it, but off a customer wants it I might do the compost. Any advice is very helpful! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device