Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Make The Jump?

I have been a middle school PE Teacher for the last 10 years. I have had a part-time lawn service business (about 25 properties) for the last 7 years. I have had about enough of teaching because it's like working for communists. It's a very thankless job, and the pressures and demands are getting worse every year. I am thinking about getting into the Green Industry full-time. I love my business and I would love to do it full-time. What does you guys think? Should I make the jump?
John Deere Z910A 48 inch
John Deere JS38 Walk-Behind
Echo SRM-265 String Trimmer
Echo SRM 225 String Trimmer
Echo PB-250 Blower
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you married? Can you get health insurance through your wife? What about 401k, etc that come with being a teacher?

How much do you need to make? 50k?

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how good my advice is, because I'm part time trying to go full time. But, I do know quite a bit about teaching.

My father is a retired teacher (Almost 40 years for the same school system). He had his Masters before they made it a requirement. Not sure if they are doing or did that in LA. He got higher pay for being things like Team leader, or extra activities he coached or did. Overall, his pay sucked. Like he says, the only thing that paid off was his retirement. He retired with a union pension and state benefits. With that, he makes the same as what he was making teaching. He wanted to continue teaching, but the last few years he felt like "eff this, I'm not doing that BS" and put in his retirement.

I think that with the pay your currently getting, and how long it takes to retire and get good benefits, I would start going full time in mowing/landscaping. You also have a longer season than a lot of us, which is always helpful.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would offer this advice if you love landscaping then find a way to do it for a living. If you have to scale down to make it as far as bills go then do it. I have worked at jobs I couldn't stand making a ton of money but was always unhappy all the time dreaded going to work. So I decided to go the landscaping route and have been much happier sure I still work a part time in the Winter to help out but my goal is to one day make enough to just take off during the winter. Like they say find something you love and you will feel like you have never worked a day in your life..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360lawncare View Post
I would offer this advice if you love landscaping then find a way to do it for a living. If you have to scale down to make it as far as bills go then do it. I have worked at jobs I couldn't stand making a ton of money but was always unhappy all the time dreaded going to work. So I decided to go the landscaping route and have been much happier sure I still work a part time in the Winter to help out but my goal is to one day make enough to just take off during the winter. Like they say find something you love and you will feel like you have never worked a day in your life..
Posted via Mobile Device
Not enough snow plowing there in the winter?

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-25-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I can always substitute teach in the winter to the tune of 150 a day. But like grassmonkey said, we have a long season. I do have a retirement, but I can pull out that money and roll it into my 403b. I don't have a lot of bills so that's a plus. With the part-time business I'm grossing over 30k, so I'm sure with the added free time I would be able to add a lot more work! I'm leaning more and more towards going in full-time! Thanks for the replies! I also have a Master's Degree grassmonkey. It's a shame that my profession sucks now, and the pay sucks even more!
John Deere Z910A 48 inch
Echo PB-250 Blower
Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not really no we have had allot this winter but that is not the norm for this part of the state.
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGros31 View Post
I can always substitute teach in the winter to the tune of 150 a day. But like grassmonkey said, we have a long season. I do have a retirement, but I can pull out that money and roll it into my 403b. I don't have a lot of bills so that's a plus. With the part-time business I'm grossing over 30k, so I'm sure with the added free time I would be able to add a lot more work! I'm leaning more and more towards going in full-time! Thanks for the replies! I also have a Master's Degree grassmonkey. It's a shame that my profession sucks now, and the pay sucks even more!
Go for it!!! You have been doing it for a bit now and I'm assuming you have a good satisfied customer base so it's not like your completely rolling the dice to try something new and different or you will need to invest a pile of money to start a new business.

I too work for a public service profession that has had a down grade in pay and benefits over the years and that I have come to hate. I'm very determined to make this my full time job and career. Hopefully this year but we will see.

You can do it. I'm sure you could grab a evening shift job somewhere temporarily if you need to help with the transition financially.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Money is not everything. Stress is a killer. Do what makes you happy. Our society makes us think we need all these monetary items so we work work work (myself included). Life goes by sooo fast so live it happily for your health and sanity. If you think if you can leave your job and start the business full time go for it. Stay at a level with your business that is comfortable for YOU. It's not going to be the same without having the bennies of your teaching job so you will have to be self disciplined. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm hoping this summer will be a good time to make a decision. I'm not worried about insurance because I can get on my wife's insurance. I would have to contribute to my own retirement, but I also know that with the current state of things a person my age (34) will probably never retire. I've picked up some new work this year already and I haven't even advertised.
John Deere Z910A 48 inch
Echo PB-250 Blower