Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

retaining wall production rates?

looking at a 140' by 4.5' high wall (1 course buried), no turns or curves, Allen Block AB hollow core filled with drain rock, no caps, engineered with 3 layers of grid, and a hard pipe drain system exiting the face of the wall every 10', 1' clean stone backfill, no filter fabric (all this is the engineers, not mine). nothing there now, it will be the side of a new parking lot (lot is set back 5' from top of the wall) so excavated dirt can just be dumped to the side and dealt with later, great access from the street for machines and trucks.

I know all my material costs, looking for some production rates or a ball park of how long it would take your similar small crew(3/4 guys, skid and excavator on site) to accomplish this so I can get a real price together. number of days, number of hours, feet per hour, however you want to slice it would be great. its triple my biggest wall(length wise) so i want to make sure i'm scaling it up accurately. If i can get a few responses I'll post up my assumed breakdown, just dont want to influence anyones thoughts yet

thanks guys, have a good weekend
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the site conditions anywhere from 3-5 days, if its a new construction commercial job without lawn repairs 3 of us could easily do it in 3 days, if it's residential and has lawn repairs more like 5 days.

If it is commercial with easy access and no lawn repairs I would charge around 15k if the 4.5' includes the buried row, (I pay about $5.00 a block, not sure what you pay). Also weep holes every 10' is very excessive. And make sure you spell Allan Block correctly on your estimate!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 103 man hours for a project like that.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Do not worry so about time price it 14,000 labor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was planning 5 days so i could really take my time with the base and also the drain system is going to take time cutting and fitting the pvc and notching block for the wall penetrations. I figured 18k but this is NY and the AllAn block are 6.50.

The 4.5 does include buried course and it is commercial with pretty good access to the back of the wall. The front is the neighbors property but we probably have enough room to drive the skid up with the block
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will be sure to lean on the supplier when it cones time to buying this many block, not a lot of these go up around here and they could drop ship from the manufacturer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I will be sure to lean on the supplier when it cones time to buying this many block, not a lot of these go up around here and they could drop ship from the manufacturer
Posted via Mobile Device
I always have commercial walls drop shipped, allan block picked up here is $6.65 depending on how much i have drop shipped i get it anywhere from 4.50 to 5.50 a block.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a grand in my pocket, do i contact allan block directly or still go through the dealer?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thats a grand in my pocket, do i contact allan block directly or still go through the dealer?
I do both depending on where the job is and how many block, after a certain amount allan block will sell it direct at dealer price. Usually anything over 2500 face feet. Just have a couple dealers price it out for you, mine will only drop ship full semi loads. Your job is about 1 semi so they should be able to get you down around 5.50 if you unload it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I always buy direct from the manufacturer, for SRW block. Never do I buy through a dealer. But the manufacturers are usually dealers too.

Not a fan of Allan Block. I'd try to go with another brand such as Cornerstone, much more user friendly.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.