Register free!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

From what I understand, the new blades are in the $250-350 range. I am not sure if that would equate, and that's part of the reason we haven't invested in it yet. I have heard mixed reviews, and people who love them, point to speed and say that counts almost as much as footage. Many people don't know how to quantify speed as a measuring stick as well as footage- but that's why they make 52 flavors of ice cream- everyone has their own preference, and they also let you try a small to make sure you like it.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Speed?

Whole other topic.

The engine on that saw must be pristine. Air filters clean. But air filters are never clean. No dirt in the carbies, but they are usually dirty!

Ok, so say I do want FASTER?

How much faster will a faster blade be?

If we're talking a 200% cost difference in the blade will the blade cut at least 50% faster??

I'm sure the $80 blades are not fast. But again - its a numbers game. if the job is priced for 4 days, and it takes 4 days (or less) than the $80 blade didn't let us down. Now - if that $80 blade ran us into an additional day - then we have a problem. In 18 years - we have never had a blade effect our production. A saw with a clogged air filter - all the time. A saw with a seized piston - yep, about every 18 to 24 months. But blade issues - never.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Very true, but I have actually had a customer tell me a blade took 3.8 seconds longer per paver, and that was more important than the additional linear footage...

Scary as it might be, I actually agree with you on this one DVS....
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok, so now, how many cuts are made in a day? 300?

300 x 3.8 / 60 /60 = .37 hr, a little over 20 minutes. I've never counted how many pavers we cut in a day. Some days it's maybe been 20 pavers. But I bet it's never been more than 300, maybe 350 tops. We usually have one guy cutting and another marking. Often times the guy cutting is waiting for the guy marking. Which then makes faster cutting a moot point.

Is spending $170 to $270 more really reasonable opposed to paying a $14 / hr laborer $5.18 (for .37 hr) the time it takes with a slower $80 blade? Presuming they've done the math as I just did, Some people may say "absolutely". And presuming they've done the math I bet the majority will say "take a hike, the numbers do not pencil out.

See, for the diamond blade sales industry - hardscape guys don't break down the numbers. That works in a sales rep's favor. All the sales rep can do is hope they don't read lawnsite.com and see Andrew Hardscape's posts.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually, except for the personal attacks, what you say makes sense. If someone was selling a blade for 2x the price, you would expect to get 2x the life....simple.

The only place I disagree with you is that there is nothing better than an $80 blade. There is a middle ground, and if you could spend 50% more, and get say 60% more cuts, mathematically, that makes sense.

And actually the fact that many Hardscapers do NOT keep accurate track of things like linear footage, hurts 'diamond blade salesman', because they have nothing but feel to judge whether one blade performs better than another. Your attention to detail is what sets you apart from your competition, and helps in all other business aspects. Not everyone understands that...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
ok, so now, how many cuts are made in a day? 300?

300 x 3.8 / 60 /60 = .37 hr, a little over 20 minutes. I've never counted how many pavers we cut in a day. Some days it's maybe been 20 pavers. But I bet it's never been more than 300, maybe 350 tops. We usually have one guy cutting and another marking. Often times the guy cutting is waiting for the guy marking. Which then makes faster cutting a moot point.

Is spending $170 to $270 more really reasonable opposed to paying a $14 / hr laborer $5.18 (for .37 hr) the time it takes with a slower $80 blade? Presuming they've done the math as I just did, Some people may say "absolutely". And presuming they've done the math I bet the majority will say "take a hike, the numbers do not pencil out.

See, for the diamond blade sales industry - hardscape guys don't break down the numbers. That works in a sales rep's favor. All the sales rep can do is hope they don't read lawnsite.com and see Andrew Hardscape's posts.

Not disagreeing, but just to play "devils advocate", if you don't know how many pavers you cut with a blade, you don't know how many feet of pavers you cut with a blade, you don't know how long it takes on average to cut a certain dimension of paver with a given blade...then how are you going to tell people that the $80 blade pencils out better than a $200 blade? What numbers, besides purchase price, did you pencil in? My gut tells me that you are correct in your hypothesis, but all blades are not created equal either and $/amount of material removed by the kerf of the blade over the life of a blade isn't the only criteria people use to choose a blade.

If I were looking to buy 1-$300/blade that would last me 9 months or 3-$100/blades that would last me 9 months, I'd chose the 3-$100 blades. I'd have a fresh blade 3 times a year and at least 1 back up blade for 6 months of that time. So, in my mind, if the expensive blade doesn't do something that the cheaper blades of the same long term cost provide, I'd go with more less expensive blades.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
Not disagreeing, but just to play "devils advocate", if you don't know how many pavers you cut with a blade, you don't know how many feet of pavers you cut with a blade, you don't know how long it takes on average to cut a certain dimension of paver with a given blade...then how are you going to tell people that the $80 blade pencils out better than a $200 blade? What numbers, besides purchase price, did you pencil in? My gut tells me that you are correct in your hypothesis, but all blades are not created equal either and $/amount of material removed by the kerf of the blade over the life of a blade isn't the only criteria people use to choose a blade.

If I were looking to buy 1-$300/blade that would last me 9 months or 3-$100/blades that would last me 9 months, I'd chose the 3-$100 blades. I'd have a fresh blade 3 times a year and at least 1 back up blade for 6 months of that time. So, in my mind, if the expensive blade doesn't do something that the cheaper blades of the same long term cost provide, I'd go with more less expensive blades.
I'm a very detailed person. I do a lot of observing.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

sales people can't give me a explanation just more is better, and look at me why would I ask such a question. I have a noticed a difference in blade thickness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to see data. same with equipment sales people can't tell me the average hours to expect out of a machine and they draw a blank then tell you it's all in how it is maintained. There are averages and there are outlieOrs. A thick blade may not cut as fast as a thin one because it is cutting more material. If the blade is thinner it has a greater chance of warping. There is give and take. Bevel, diamond offset, composition, and cooling relief I would think would make a difference. I want to believe cost equals better when I spend more but what works works. Some people need designer clothes some people need extra holes and a higher pricetag.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jmkr02; 02-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.