Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

starting to think this is the age of lazy 1 out of 8 would be lovly i was 1 out of 20 last year and im only trying to fill 2 formen postions it was bad last year still trying to find some new guys
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
I was spreading salt the other day at the county jail and seen a competitor picking up three people from work release, heck maybe that's a idea.
people have been crucifying me for suggesting this
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolawn View Post
starting to think this is the age of lazy 1 out of 8 would be lovly i was 1 out of 20 last year and im only trying to fill 2 formen postions it was bad last year still trying to find some new guys
What will a foreman make working for you in a week?
How many weeks a year can he expect to work?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

craigslist has brought me a lot of responses and very little help that's worth my time.

Foreign Hispanic workers generally work very hard but English isn't always proficient and being legal is another challenge as well as adherence to basic safety guidelines. I respect that someone wants to work and provide for their family but the cost of having illegal workers can be high especially if someone gets hurt.

Someone mentioned we are in the age of lazy. I was paying $15-20 hour just to have help and they wouldn't show after a few days. I started out doing the exact same type of work for less money while I learned and gained experience and I always showed up but so many people are more concerned with texting and watching t.v. than having work ethic. I see a distinct difference between US workers and foreign workers.
I know a landscaper that was willing to pay $15 an hour for guys to lay sod because nobody wanted to work or they would show up and have a reason to needing off early.

I thought about the vet thing and have tried a couple of vets but most seem to be in transition and don't want to do labor full time. I'd love to train someone to handle the machines and job sites but I think they would just start their own company after awhile. Turnover sucks in this line of work and so I end up hiring other companies as subs. I pay more for labor but they generally have all the tools. One drawback to that, though, is I have had issues where subs start working for my customers on the side. It's tough finding good help to say the least.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
people have been crucifying me for suggesting this
I believe in second chances and there are good people who make mistakes, get caught up, or just did something stupid. You might find a good worker and make a difference in their life by giving them a chance.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=YellowDogSVC;4954427]Im scared to see what its gonna be like in twenty years with the transition i dont remember being this lazy and i hope im wrong cause this world will be real over grown who needs to work when they can sit at home and collect unemployment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I believe in second chances and there are good people who make mistakes, get caught up, or just did something stupid. You might find a good worker and make a difference in their life by giving them a chance.
Very very true!

I have a couple guys that had troubled pasts but they grew up and straightened out and are very good workers.

But for the most part good help is really hard to find. Most good landscapers already have jobs. Worst case scenario is to recruit from other landscape companies, its nothing personal its business. If they needed an employee they would steal yours in a heartbeat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLineAtATime View Post
Craigs List is great!! LOL....
1 out of 8 are decent...
Have you tried careerbuilder? its about the same...and you have to pay for the ad.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLineAtATime View Post
Craigs List is great!! LOL....
1 out of 8 are decent...
Your results are that good?

I had 15 respond to an ad I had for OFFSEASON work. Interviewed 4, hired one, and he worked a couple of days and called out. All he had to do was pick up trash and do a little light pruning. I gave him another chance, and....You guessed it, he just didn't show up.

I get the ones who send a resume even when I ask for specific information in the body of the email and require they have a drivers license. Their resume has absolutely no background in lawn care, yet Ive asked for minimum of 1 year.

They are just filling their quota for unemployment. Its a good thing CL is free.
Greensboro NC