Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How to say No...

Since one of my customer's has come back from their vacation house, she is always outside. Before she came back I had no problem.

She always sees me mowing - outside the whole time doing little work, pulling weeds, maintaining pool, whatever. As soon as I start the weedwhacker, there she is. "Mind picking up a few branches for me?" I say sure, I'm dumping anyway. Finish weed whacking, hop on mower, just start blades. Flags me down, so I stop the mower and walk halfway across the 1 acre lawn. "Can you help me dump these pool chemicals." So I finish that, go on the mower and do that.

Next mow I pull up. "Can you trim this bush halfway down (cut 3 feet off)? Oh and while your at it, can you cut this bush to the ground, I think its dead." Great, 1 hour later and I'm still not done trimming. Not to mention, her lawn is a pain in the a$$ to take care of - long drive for edging, HUGE and STEEP hill to mow, pool area to bag, trees everywhere.

What do I do? How do I say no? I'm here to MOW and thats that. You pay me if you want your bushed trimmed or whatever. Should I be adding some extra dough to the invoice?

Thanks

PS: Oh yeah, not to mention that I always cut her lawn like the Presidents. Striped to perfection, double cut every holiday for FREE! The weed whacking alone is worth the $30 out of the $50 I charge. Ugh.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell her the price was for mowing anything else is additional cost easy.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These problems can be corrected with a polite 10 minute conversation in addition to handing her a list of rates for different svcs. I provide my rates for svcs to every customer so there are no surprises when I pull up. Stick to your list or you will get taken advantage of and lose money. I mean this politely, but if you are solo, you have to manage the difficult decisions and the easy ones.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the price until its profitable or she drops service. No explanation other than I have to raise rates. If she is an inconvenience now it will only get worse the busier you get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No is one of the most powerful words in business.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Sponsor

Tell her to make a list of all additional work in advance and if she does than charge accordingly, however if she balks than you can say no I can not help you with these additional chores and you should be covered.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ask her if, you know, while you're there, she minds cleaning your truck and changing your oil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Before you take a job make it clear that extra work goes for X amount of dollars per hour. But it is never too late to make that clear
Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

When I first started cutting lawns I asked this question to a friend that been mowing for years, he stopped it by charging them extra for anything other then what he was being paid for. Every bag of trash he picked up was a 5 dollar extra change. I don't mind helping someone out, but there's a limit. Maybe just charge her what you feel is fair for your time, and will pay or she will just stop asking, that's how we handle it.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My neighborhood is full of divorced ladies. They were always calling wanting light bulbs changed, kitchen faucets, light fixtures etc taken care of. I finally had enough and simply told everyone of them that I am not a handyman and I do not have time to do repairs for them. The ones that didn't hear me correctly the first time and called for something I politely repeated my stance and told them not to call me again. People will take advantage of you if you allow them to. Wont happen to me again.