Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cabover w/ Landscape Body Overall Length?

does anyone have exact dimensions for a cabover (isuzu/mitsu) from bumper to tailgate? Please specify what bed length you have…

We have a truck that we put a landscaper body on and i want to see how it matches up, being that it's not a cabover and it is a longer cab…It's a GMC TopKick with a 12' bed and 5' dovetail…overall length is 26'…i'm sure it will be much nicer than our 40' truck/trailer combo
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
does anyone have exact dimensions for a cabover (isuzu/mitsu) from bumper to tailgate? Please specify what bed length you have…

We have a truck that we put a landscaper body on and i want to see how it matches up, being that it's not a cabover and it is a longer cab…It's a GMC TopKick with a 12' bed and 5' dovetail…overall length is 26'…i'm sure it will be much nicer than our 40' truck/trailer combo

curious why did you put it on a top kick? did you just have the truck available or something?

That's a lot of truck (GVW) for what you use it for.

You could have just put it on a 350/3500 chassis.
at least that top kick will NEVER wear out!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
curious why did you put it on a top kick? did you just have the truck available or something?

That's a lot of truck (GVW) for what you use it for.

You could have just put it on a 350/3500 chassis.
at least that top kick will NEVER wear out!
ha, great question…we are trying to switch to propane and this truck was already converted and it was really, really cheap, very good condition too…we will also use it for salting in the winter so it will be nice to have the extra gvw…i agree, way overkill for just mowing tho
Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
ha, great question…we are trying to switch to propane and this truck was already converted and it was really, really cheap, very good condition too…we will also use it for salting in the winter so it will be nice to have the extra gvw…i agree, way overkill for just mowing tho
Do you have a switch n go body? Or do you just plan on un bolting the whole dove tail set up and slapping on the salt spreader come winter?

I had a fabrication design at one time for Cab overs, that essentially was a flat bed with removable sides and a removable dovetail (two pins) so the sides and the dovetail complete with ramps just removed and you had a clean flat bed.

concept was you could use it to put pallets on or a salter/sander.

Is this what you've done?

Or do you switch out bodies completely? (or have a roll off?)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

switch-n-go's are a cool concept, and very ideal for the TopKick…i have considered it, but from what i remember it was very expensive

yeah, the design that you just described is what we did…removable dovetail so we can salt, and removable sides for pallets or whatever…we had our local trailer company make it, they have a very solid name because of their work…i was t boned by a truck about 4 years ago and they only hit the trailer…totaled their truck and barely bent the front top rail of our trailer…their products are built like tanks from the welding to the paint job

Last edited by jbell36; 01-27-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Arrrg! Knew i should have patented that! hah!

The best thing to do with a dove tail in my option, make it removable.

Thats why I was using heavier Cab overs like the Mitsu FM instead of the base FA/FB or the Izusu NPR when I could get a used NQR for just a little more.

People thought I was crazy putting sanders and plows on them, but in a commercial parking lot? studded tires or sometimes chains they did fine…

It wasn't like I was running sloped driveways with them.

After a while I stopped running plows on trucks at all, the plow became obsolete with skid steers and loaders with pushers and they just ran sanders on the backs of them.

Dudes where like did you go out of business? What happened to all your pick ups?
I told them, no Im out of the pick up business. I don't own any anymore!

That was a great decision, get rid of pick ups and trailers, how awesome was that?

For a while my personal rig was a mistubishi FG with a mason dump on it.
It had a better turning radius and handling than my s-10 and better fuel economy so I got rid of the s-10 too!

Now a days everyone wants the cabover/dovetail thing and they just aren't as cheap as you used to be able to get them….all good ideas come to an end i suppose.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah it's amazing how expensive cabovers are these days…THEN you go to get a landscape bed put on and find out they are 8 grand!…that's ridiculous…all said and done our 2004 TopKick and brand new landscape bed WITH removable dovetail will be right around $10,000…we simply got the top kick for a steal…it belonged to our local line-x guy and he line-x'd the entire cab, won't have to worry about rust anymore, or even scratching it for that matter

the 2wd does worry me a little as far as plowing goes, but you can weigh a top kick down pretty good and put it on a big lot…everyone i have talked to that has a 2wd top kick says they do fine…the 4x4 guys say they never usually put it in 4x4 if they have enough weight in the back
Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the original poster

My 1993 Npr has an 11 foot bed 3 foot dove tail and the cab is bout 4 feet. So I will say 18 feet total. Its actually a little less than that. I love it. It is shorter than the last big trailer I had. I mounted two eight foot tool boxes on one side to hold all my gear. I still get two mowers on it, three if its two standers and a walk behind.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
My 1993 Npr has an 11 foot bed 3 foot dove tail and the cab is bout 4 feet. So I will say 18 feet total. Its actually a little less than that. I love it. It is shorter than the last big trailer I had. I mounted two eight foot tool boxes on one side to hold all my gear. I still get two mowers on it, three if its two standers and a walk behind.
Nice, i like that setup…we were in between doing somewhere in the 10-12' range but decided on 12…i'm hoping i won't regret that decision…the cabs on the cabovers sit over the engines so we already lose about 4 feet right off the bat having the TopKick…i'm trying to make ours as nimble as possible, because it's going to be mainly for residential

thanks for the reply
Old 01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Nice, i like that setup…we were in between doing somewhere in the 10-12' range but decided on 12…i'm hoping i won't regret that decision…the cabs on the cabovers sit over the engines so we already lose about 4 feet right off the bat having the TopKick…i'm trying to make ours as nimble as possible, because it's going to be mainly for residential

thanks for the reply
One thing I would say, if I had it to do over again I would've made the dove tail four feet. Three feet made it a little steeper than I like but it functions properly.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind