Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lechfla View Post
$130 is the weekly cost at 20 hrs of mowing per week. Multiply that by 4 weeks and you get $520/ month
Hmm.. You are right. I can challenge the $6.50 an hour cost to operate as being way too high. I'd think half of that would be better.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Hmm.. You are right. I can challenge the $6.50 an hour cost to operate as being way too high. I'd think half of that would be better.
I agree, the 6.50 is high and I was just pointing out how they got to their number.

I still if you we're to buy this type of mower and other battery operated equipment, you could be a niche lawn company and reach specific consumers that would be willing to pay more for "green" lawncare. Even at $2-5 more per cut, you could offset any additional expenses.
Also, there would advantages when bidding commercial and municipal jobs, you offer both the company and the city/town/county the ability to say they are environmentally friendly, blah blah.

Just my opinion
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would take a very liberal environment conscious location for anyone to even care. If you know anything about Tesla cars - I think battery powered things are the future. I don't think the price and timing is quite right yet though for mowers. Battery technology increases by 50% every 5 years. It's only a matter of time before the batteries are cheap and it will be a valid product regardless of whether it's green or not.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mean Green Mowers

I think it was $30,000 for a good set up when I looked
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Member

The one poster was right.

I had been looking at these the other night, $1400 + $200 shipping, and that doesn't even include the $625 battery and the $200 charger.

You're looking at $2300 for a mower that will run 2-3 hours before you have to charge it.

I have been heavily researching electric mowers the last few nights. I wish battery technology was better at the moment....but it is just about not plausible to use battery powered mowers for commercial purposes.

CleanAirLawnCare does this, but they have those solar panels on their trucks. Not sure how much that even helps.

I won't be buying into their franchise.

I have been looking at GreenWorks' products. The GMAX products look ok...but again, I'd need 8 batteries to do 8 lawns, and that's $130 per battery. Good thing is they claim the batteries only take 2 hours to charge. Lithium Ion batteries.

Tags
electric mower , mean green mower , mean. green