Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see how raising a price is burning a bridge with potential clients or even the original client. They called for service, I provided a service at a fair price. They use somebody else and call me back to do their yard again. When does it stop? Potential clients also receive a fair price. If a neighbor tells another neighbor you charged them $5 more to come back, that certainly isn't gonna deter them from hiring me if my work is good and my prices are fair. In fact, it speaks volumes about my work and neighbors see my work and if they like it and the price is fair, theyre going to hire me. I have a route and a schedule. I don't have time to play the on again off again game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 01-28-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Davey... we operate much differently. Every finished job is the marketing brochure for the next customer. While you may not care about how it looks, or even the customer may not care much, others may care. I've picked up lots of customers over the years who stop where I am working, "... can you make mine look just like this?" They have looked positively on the work, and care about their property.

I would not create a marketing brochure that had tattered edges, dirt smeared across the front. The work speaks for itself. Over the years, I've established myself deeply in some neighborhoods -- work for the better part of two days on the same street, with connected properties. I don't do nearly as well with one here, one there. Travel time is overhead time, some piece of equipment is not running.

But, if somebody decides to do the work themselves, the quality is theirs to own. When I do the work, the quality is mine to own. "... 5 minutes to know what they want, ..." Sorry, but I am doubting that most do not know what they want. Rather, they "just want the grass cut." But, in reality, they do want more, they do want trimming, they do want a clean up. Rarely do I hear somebody asking for trimming, or blowing down. I don't even ask if they want it bagged any longer. I make my own decisions. They will know if the work was done well afterward, but probably cannot tell you what was done to make it look that way.
You're spot-on.

One can definitely tell a difference in morals and ethics, here. I have to thank my grandparents, for instilling that upon me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If a neighbor tells another neighbor you charged them $5 more to come back, that certainly isn't gonna deter them from hiring me if my work is good and my prices are fair.
You're so wrong! They don't know what is truly "fair", they just know you're punishing them, for trying someone else. Nobody wants to be screwed, for exercising their right to choice.

What you're implying is that a car dealer should openly gouge you because you chose to buy a Ford last time and now you're back to Chevy. How would that make you feel? Not very positive toward the dealership, huh?

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
My C+ is most guys A, but I get $65 in a neighborhood where big lco's are $40. I want all the other work....beds...fert....leaves....aerate/overseed. I crush my comp on quality....ie diamond cut the front lawn. I have always found that it is easier to upsell the customer....when they are your customer. We all have different ideas of what works. I want every lawn in the neighborhood... Not just the A's. My production cost decrease radically and my profit increases working this plan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Work ethic is great and I'm sure your customers love you, but keep in mind that during that extra 15 minutes you spend on a lawn our crew has already arrived at the next lawn and, in fact, is almost done. repeat this comparison all day long -- all week long -- and I think you'd find that the mow-and-go groups will generate much more income, even if we do charge less. Of course I do not advocate a crappy job but my experience is that most customers are not interested in paying a premium price for A++ service...not in this economy -- most people would rather pay a more reasonable rate for a nice job. Getting people to pay $65 in an area where $40 is the going rate is, over the long run, just asking for trouble.

On the other hand I'm well aware that there are different ways of doing business and each of us has to do things in ways that we are comfortable with. Just pointing out there are two ways to look at this.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
Work ethic is great and I'm sure your customers love you, but keep in mind that during that extra 15 minutes you spend on a lawn our crew has already arrived at the next lawn and, in fact, is almost done. repeat this comparison all day long -- all week long -- and I think you'd find that the mow-and-go groups will generate much more income, even if we do charge less. Of course I do not advocate a crappy job but my experience is that most customers are not interested in paying a premium price for A++ service...not in this economy -- most people would rather pay a more reasonable rate for a nice job. Getting people to pay $65 in an area where $40 is the going rate is, over the long run, just asking for trouble.

On the other hand I'm well aware that there are different ways of doing business and each of us has to do things in ways that we are comfortable with. Just pointing out there are two ways to look at this.
I couldnt agree more.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You're spot-on.

One can definitely tell a difference in morals and ethics, here. I have to thank my grandparents, for instilling that upon me.

You're so wrong! They don't know what is truly "fair", they just know you're punishing them, for trying someone else. Nobody wants to be screwed, for exercising their right to choice.

What you're implying is that a car dealer should openly gouge you because you chose to buy a Ford last time and now you're back to Chevy. How would that make you feel? Not very positive toward the dealership, huh?
I have a weekly route and they cancel me for somebody else and call me back its $5 more. Its happened and have had no complaints. If you consider it punishment its your opinion. Perhaps you have time to play games and squabble with people for a few dollars. We have too much work for that.

As to the dealership comparison, its pretty ridiculous. A dealership will do anything they can to get your business no matter what you drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The moral high road speech is comical.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
As to the dealership comparison, its pretty ridiculous. A dealership will do anything they can to get your business no matter what you drive.
It was an analogy. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
The moral high road speech is comical.
Yeah, it was pretty funny. Dummy me! I briefly forgot the industry I'm in and the typical people involved in it.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It was an analogy. Look it up.

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Dummy me! I briefly forgot the industry I'm in and the typical people involved in it.
Don't need to look it up. Its not pertinent to the situation.

If you have time to be jerked around and play games you're dealing with the right type of customer because the squabblers will always be squabblers and have zero loyalty. In most cases its why they're continually changing LCO's. They may be the customer you're interested in but not the customer we want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of these accounts who want six months off, or want to take over and skip edging are surprised that i'm still in business the next spring. I'll get a message in early spring "are you still doing yardwork?". Maybe they're surprised at my list of of customers who understand this is how i pay bills, and maybe they are surprised that everyone is not like them. I don't get them all back; just the ones who see it my way, agree to my schedule, and don't interfere again.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Don't sweat it. If they do call you back, DO NOT raise your price. You're not going to "Teach them a lesson.", by doing that. Pick up service like normal, continue to do a great job, and keep yourself on that street. Eventually, you'll get a neighbor's yard, and another, and another. Being a jerk to people gets around.

I got a call from a lady, I know, who was having someone else, I also know, take care of her property. Her snowblower wouldn't start, for the other guy, and she needed her private road and drive cleared. No problem, as I have no animosity toward her for using someone else. I shot out there and cleared everything. In talking to her, I found the other guy hadn't been mowing her yard (he started complaining about her requests and no longer wanted to mow for her) and she had been having the neighbor do it. I, also, offered to take her snowblower home and go through it. I fully serviced it and got it running. When I took it back out to her, she said, "I'm thinking of having you take care my property.". The morals of this story? Don't be a jerk to anyone and neighbors don't always wreck another's opportunities. Keep your chin up and stay positive.
So the other guy doesn't want to mow for her anymore as he doesn't want to perform her requests. I'm betting her requests are being asked for free of charge.

You perform all these services and she says: "I'm thinking of having you take care my property". Thinking about it? I know those customers very well and wouldn't even consider that one. There are plenty of good customers out there to replace the squabblers.
Posted via Mobile Device