Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares let the neighbor have at it. Just be sure to NOT take that customer back for bailing.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
Work ethic is great and I'm sure your customers love you, but keep in mind that during that extra 15 minutes you spend on a lawn our crew has already arrived at the next lawn and, in fact, is almost done. repeat this comparison all day long -- all week long -- and I think you'd find that the mow-and-go groups will generate much more income, even if we do charge less. Of course I do not advocate a crappy job but my experience is that most customers are not interested in paying a premium price for A++ service...not in this economy -- most people would rather pay a more reasonable rate for a nice job. Getting people to pay $65 in an area where $40 is the going rate is, over the long run, just asking for trouble.

On the other hand I'm well aware that there are different ways of doing business and each of us has to do things in ways that we are comfortable with. Just pointing out there are two ways to look at this.
It seems like the low cost guys are going too fast...tracking turf diseases from job to job...sharpening blades every 50 lawns. Yeah, that job took 6 mins...woo hoo! That's not my cup of tea. But, I don't want three crews of guys out mowing either, I think small, full service is the way to go. I'm a plant guy/ gardener, don't need NASCAR like pit crew stops all day to make a buck. If I don't stop and smell the roses, I wouldn't notice the aphids....dude!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DaveyBlue32; 01-28-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
So the other guy doesn't want to mow for her anymore as he doesn't want to perform her requests. I'm betting her requests are being asked for free of charge.
Nope. It's not her; it's him. I've known him over 35 years. Something mentally is happening to him. He's become a real prick to people, including his family. He just seems to not want to be bothered with anything or anyone. She's very particular about her place. I can assure you, you'd like to have her as a client; super-nice and easy going. It's a full-service property and she pays whatever you charge, provided you do great work. I help a contractor and have done other work around there.

Quote:
You perform all these services and she says: "I'm thinking of having you take care my property". Thinking about it? I know those customers very well and wouldn't even consider that one. There are plenty of good customers out there to replace the squabblers.
She didn't bat an eye for what I charged to clear everything and service her snowblower. She tipped me $30, on top of it. She was grateful that I came right out, did great work, and she didn't have to deal with getting the snowblower taken care of. I detail vehicles and happen to clean the car of one of her friends. This lady commented that when the weather breaks, she'd like for me to come out and get her car for a detail. I don't turn down opportunities with these people. Someone like this, who is well-off and connected, spreads the word about great people and service. This IS the kind of client I want.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great. So in other words you're still not doing the lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get "my out of work dead beat son/nephew/uncle/cousin/brother".
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I get "my out of work dead beat son/nephew/uncle/cousin/brother".
Lol. I know we're not getting the job when I give a price and hear, "I'll talk it over with my wife/husband".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Great. So in other words you're still not doing the lawn.
We've still got snow on the ground and stupidly-cold temps. Nobody does anything, until they start seeing spring on the horizon. My commercial people aren't even committing, yet, as they're still worried about covering their snow removal costs.

Quote:
Lol. I know we're not getting the job when I give a price and hear, "I'll talk it over with my wife/husband".
Agreed!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
It seems like the low cost guys are going too fast...tracking turf diseases from job to job...sharpening blades every 50 lawns. Yeah, that job took 6 mins...woo hoo! That's not my cup of tea. But, I don't want three crews of guys out mowing either, I think small, full service is the way to go. I'm a plant guy/ gardener, don't need NASCAR like pit crew stops all day to make a buck. If I don't stop and smell the roses, I wouldn't notice the aphids....dude!
Posted via Mobile Device
Smelling the roses is nice too... But only after a long, frantic day of work, of course.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
Smelling the roses is nice too... But only after a long, frantic day of work, of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's when you should be smelling the beers....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds like me. Funny about the aphids. Very true though! I emphasize full service garden care/horticulture in my business.
Posted via Mobile Device