Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
*** selling plants you pay $3. Dollars for in 2-3 years for $50. Plus planting will confirm that It's a good idea. Irrigation's on a timer...man. 72 ct. Plugs into 1 gal. Pots make you $10. Per in a couple months.... Cuttings make free plants. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Davey blue so your saying do it? Do you have a nursery
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you plan on retailing anything to the public or for your own installs only? Do you plan on selling to other landscapers? Its a lot of work to run one if done right.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Do you plan on retailing anything to the public or for your own installs only? Do you plan on selling to other landscapers? Its a lot of work to run one if done right.
Sell to public and landscapers plus own installs the guy that wants me to buy it said its not that much work he said just potting up and watering. Did he miss anything if so please inform me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raish05 View Post
Davey blue so your saying do it? Do you have a nursery
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes... I keep every plant I can when re-scapeing or replaceing ... I'm doing cutting propagation too. I buy end of season from pro nursery and repot... Most perennial plugs are about 50 cents per ...if you get those planted they are ready in 60 to 90 days for 10 bucks. You can keep all your leaves and compost them. Mix 1/2 sand 1/2 dirt to 1/2 compost and you got cheap potting mix... That's supersoil at your nursery for $50. A yard.... I can't just go buy every plant I want to use . What area of the country are you in?
Plus the tons of work you will get from the place..Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy who cuts a ton of lawns and does landscaping, he owns his own nursery and his wife helps him, he is in his 60's and still going strong at it, it's a good combination to have. It sounds like a good opportunity so if you feel you can handle, go for it! Best of luck to you!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yes... I keep every plant I can when re-scapeing or replaceing ... I'm doing cutting propagation too. I buy end of season from pro nursery and repot... Most perennial plugs are about 50 cents per ...if you get those planted they are ready in 60 to 90 days for 10 bucks. You can keep all your leaves and compost them. Mix 1/2 sand 1/2 dirt to 1/2 compost and you got cheap potting mix... That's supersoil at your nursery for $50. A yard.... I can't just go buy every plant I want to use . What area of the country are you in?
Plus the tons of work you will get from the place..Posted via Mobile Device
Pa I dug out 15 basketball size Stella daylillies and split them all and got 45 1 gal day lillies now for spring
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sell to public and landscapers plus own installs the guy that wants me to buy it said its not that much work he said just potting up and watering. Did he miss anything if so please inform me
Posted via Mobile Device
Watering is done with a $40 dollar timer and a few heads...you don't need to help it ... You can mix a 4in1 rose care product in a backpack sprayer light and hit everything once a month....check out growerssupply.com for cheap hardware... The slow release fert from am lenard is much cheaper then ozmacote... Free free to ask me anything you want....if I can answer I will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Watering is done with a $40 dollar timer and a few heads...you don't need to help it ... You can mix a 4in1 rose care product in a backpack sprayer light and hit everything once a month....check out growerssupply.com for cheap hardware... The slow release fert from am lenard is much cheaper then ozmacote... Free free to ask me anything you want....if I can answer I will.
Posted via Mobile Device
I planned on watering by hand because of less waste and not sure how much property I would need to set all of it up. Do you get a lot of work from your nursery
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds good to me, I just know how I get all excited about something new and then find out all the downfalls after the fact.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I planned on watering by hand because of less waste and not sure how much property I would need to set all of it up. Do you get a lot of work from your nursery
Posted via Mobile Device
Lookup drip emitters and whip lines...you can poke them into a 300 ft roll of pex.... The pex is 50. The emmiter is like 5cents the little whip is 25cents... For 200. Dollars once...your covered....go on vacation....holding a hose is crazy! Your time is money...selling or planting ....or your paying labor. At 10bucks an hour it would cost you 30 a day to water....you would be wasting lots of money.
Posted via Mobile Device