Register free!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you buying equipment without the property?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

yes we have to move it from his place to ours. we have almost 3 acres at our shop and i have almost 2 acres at my house
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure the hoops are cheap...New film from Growerssupply.com. check the steals and deals for cheapest hoop price. You can take a credit card with your phone...what do you have to loose? How many customers do you service a week on maintenance side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

about 135 we service weekly plus 20 commercial accounts. i never bought plants from our big nurseries around here i always bought from the small nurseries but thy go old and couldnt do it anymore and closed up. i cant see paying $45 for a 5 to 6ft emerald green arb when i can buy it from them for $25 so thats why i am thinking on buying this one because he is actually a guy i bought from
Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say do it if you're able to learn about greenhouse operations and someone can put the time in to making sure everything is taken care of. I've seen a few people who thought they could make easy money selling plants but either didn't know what they were doing, didn't take care of the plants, or didn't have the proper paperwork.

I know when I looked into it, just taking old plants from one property to put onto another had a whole slew of things to make it legal (and sometimes you could never do it legally).

Seeing how you're in the business already it shouldn't be a big leap.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raish05 View Post
Do you have a landscaping business now
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup. Looking for property all the time to open one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raish05 View Post
Sell to public and landscapers plus own installs the guy that wants me to buy it said its not that much work he said just potting up and watering. Did he miss anything if so please inform me
Posted via Mobile Device
A nursery is a great business, but don't be mislead into thinking its not a lot of work because its takes a whole lot of work to opereate one.

Don't know if you still can, but cheap plants could be bought on the "Gulf" with cash and a truck.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did it in 2007. Still going. We are busy April through end of July. After July it doesnt make enough to pay someone to be there. In the spring we do about $45k per month for 4 months then it DIES. So it makes money for 4 months then I have to pay the mortgage for the other 8.

I will say we have doubled our install revenue since opening. We have a nice hardscapes display out front which people stop and look at quite often.

Would I do it again? Not Sure. I think if I focused on the landscape business I could have achieved the same results without the garden center.

Is anyone interested in a Garden Center in Upstate NY? lol
Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
I did it in 2007. Still going. We are busy April through end of July. After July it doesnt make enough to pay someone to be there. In the spring we do about $45k per month for 4 months then it DIES. So it makes money for 4 months then I have to pay the mortgage for the other 8.

I will say we have doubled our install revenue since opening. We have a nice hardscapes display out front which people stop and look at quite often.

Would I do it again? Not Sure. I think if I focused on the landscape business I could have achieved the same results without the garden center.

Is anyone interested in a Garden Center in Upstate NY? lol
If you don't mind what did you do your first year and do you sell all container stock or both container and bnb
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like being able to stock and sell bulk materials.

Plus you'll have a place to run your landscaping business out of. You can set up show rooms etc

One nursery around here even sells designer purses lol
Posted via Mobile Device