Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Groundskeeper shows respect for our country.

We could use more people like this my friends....regardless of their occupation.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/1...6pLid%3D452721
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

wait so he just did it randomly in the middle of the day? Or was there music playing over a loud speaker like on base? A flag dropping? a funeral procession with the body of a vet….or he just randomly stopped right there, for no reason and decided to do it?

They don't do pledge of allegiance at school anymore, or do they?

IT seems odd he was like 1/4 way through weed whacking and just suddenly stopped… but the video mentions no interaction or catalyst? (again flag dropping or raising?…music over a loud speaker? something?)

On a military post saluting the colors is normal, looks weird to civvies when all traffic literately stops and joes bail out of vehicles to stand at attention and salute….. but even then, it's not done randomly , in the middle of the day

so is that what happened…. or I keep thinking there was more to this?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoever wrote the article could have done a little better job explaining what happened, but after reading it several times, apparently someone was reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance" and the "Texas Pledge" (on a PA) when the groundskeeper stopped working and also started reciting the POA and the Texas Pledge, followed by a moment of silence.

It's just nice to see that some people still get back to the simple basics of showing respect.

I'll tell you, when it comes to things like this my life has changed a lot in the last 10 years. My oldest son is a Captain in the USAF and just got back from 6 mos in Afghanistan. I have always appreciated our soldiers, don't get me wrong. But when the "face of war" is no longer a strange face, but the face that was just in your arms at the hospital what seems like a very short time ago....it changes you.

Sorry, don't mean to get "sappy", it's just that things like this now strike me much differently than they used to.
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 03-12-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Whoever wrote the article could have done a little better job explaining what happened, but after reading it several times, apparently someone was reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance" and the "Texas Pledge" (on a PA) when the groundskeeper stopped working and also started reciting the POA and the Texas Pledge, followed by a moment of silence.

It's just nice to see that some people still get back to the simple basics of showing respect.

I'll tell you, when it comes to things like this my life has changed a lot in the last 10 years. My oldest son is a Captain in the USAF and just got back from 6 mos in Afghanistan. I have always appreciated our soldiers, don't get me wrong. But when the "face of war" is no longer a strange face, but the face that was just in your arms at the hospital what seems like a very short time ago....it changes you.

Sorry, don't mean to get "sappy", it's just that things like this now strike me much differently than they used to.
Stan

Yea I was kinda assuming there was something going on over the Pa…but It didn't seem to be reported that way, and I started to think…its kinda like starting to eat, your done with your fries and half way through a burger, and all of the sudden your start praying? That's a little odd.

Im former military, so I would probably have done the same thing, out of habit.
Not everyone is trained that way, so this probably came from this guy as real gratitude/thankfulness rather than tradition.
But there was a time, not that long ago, in this country where any one and everyone would have done the same thing.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Yea I was kinda assuming there was something going on over the Pa…but It didn't seem to be reported that way, and I started to think…its kinda like starting to eat, your done with your fries and half way through a burger, and all of the sudden your start praying? That's a little odd.

Im former military, so I would probably have done the same thing, out of habit.
Not everyone is trained that way, so this probably came from this guy as real gratitude/thankfulness rather than tradition.
But there was a time, not that long ago, in this country where any one and everyone would have done the same thing.
If you had to eat my wife's cooking you'd understand. We pray before, in the middle of, and after a meal!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
We could use more people like this my friends....regardless of their occupation.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/1...6pLid%3D452721

You can lead a liberal to the truth, but you can't make them think.

"I'm tired of liberals dividing this country up into little groups, setting them upon each other, breeding spite and envy, and then having the nerve to accuse conservatives of hatred."
- Allen West

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care why he did it. I'm just proud of him for doing it! I stand and place my hand over my heart no matter where I am when I hear the National Anthem (unless driving or something that would prevent me from doing so, but I still place my hand over my heart). I don't care who might be watching, or thinks it looks funny either. I love my country, and I'm PROUD to be an AMERICAN.

Thanks for posting this Stan.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't care why he did it. I'm just proud of him for doing it! I stand and place my hand over my heart no matter where I am when I hear the National Anthem (unless driving or something that would prevent me from doing so, but I still place my hand over my heart). I don't care who might be watching, or thinks it looks funny either. I love my country, and I'm PROUD to be an AMERICAN.

Thanks for posting this Stan.
yes but unless i missed it….the author doesn't necessarily SAY the anthem was playing….

if it WAS, then this is kinda of an ordinary thing to me, nothing news worthy…. the way it reads, it seems he just stopped out of no where and did it, spontaneously. Its oddly written
Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
yes but unless i missed it….the author doesn't necessarily SAY the anthem was playing….

if it WAS, then this is kinda of an ordinary thing to me, nothing news worthy…. the way it reads, it seems he just stopped out of no where and did it, spontaneously. Its oddly written
Re-read my post. I didn't say he was doing anything because the NA was playing. I said I don't care why he did it. I'm just glad he did it.

I brought up the NA because it relates to this subject, and far too many people these days are to proud or too worried what some other yahoo will think to stand and show respect when it plays.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Re-read my post. I didn't say he was doing anything because the NA was playing. I said I don't care why he did it. I'm just glad he did it.

I brought up the NA because it relates to this subject, and far too many people these days are to proud or too worried what some other yahoo will think to stand and show respect when it plays.
You said you will do it whenever YOU hear the NA playing.

I said I don't think that's odd or out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldnt write a news article about it.

I thought it was odd, because the article doesn't mention PA announcement/music etc….

Thats what Im saying.

If I looked out the window, and someone was staring in a random direction with their hand on their heart, Id be craning my neck looking for the dropping flag, or listening for music, or signing, or….trying to locate the passing funeral… or something…. if i saw or heard none of that, I would certainly think the behavior was odd, because it wasn't connected to anything.