Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Replacement Engine

I have a Scag SW-36-13KA with a blown Kawaski FB460v-ES36 engine. What would be a comprable new engine to put on this machine that will work with the electric clutch?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FS481V-BS26 I think.

You will need to do a bit of rewiring. Remove the capacitor and regulator/rectifier and just hook up the clutch coil directly to the wiring harness. Put a fuse in line if there isnt one somewhere already.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as you yazoo,I've been calling scag and Kawasaki,scag called me back and said the fs481v-s18,I've got my local Kawi dealer looking in to it,how did you make out with yours
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billscaping View Post
I'm in the same boat as you yazoo,I've been calling scag and Kawasaki,scag called me back and said the fs481v-s18,I've got my local Kawi dealer looking in to it,how did you make out with yours
I recommended the S26 because it comes with a muffler. The S18 probably would not and you would have to source a muffler separately.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

No knock on your info,but You are correct,he also gave me a part number for a muffler,im having a hard time finding this motor,I need it to be pull start,the ransome/bobcat shop here in phx said that there is no replacement motor,so I wrote to scag and thats what the man said
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, that engine I posted is recoil start with the charging coil to run an electric clutch.

The only thing on a Scag is the muffler will be on the opposite side from what you are used to. Scag for some reason liked the muffler on the "starter" side of the engine(basically the side the electric starter would go if it had one). The engine I posted has the muffler on the oil filter side which is what most other OEM's seemed to use or at least the ones I deal with (Bobcat, Ferris, Wright).

If you really want the muffler on the other side for some reason you would probably have to buy an engine without muffler and then buy the muffler separate but this will cause cost to go up.

There might not be a direct replacement for the engine that is on there but someone familiar with Kawasaki replacement engines(like me) should be able to drop something in fairly easily. Especially on a fixed deck walkbehind with very little obstruction for the engine.

You may need to add a choke cable or get different length choke and throttle cables for the new style engine.

For some stupid reason Kawasaki offers these engines with and without the coil to run an electric clutch. The stupid part is they are the same price either way....so why not just make them all with the coil and then if the application doesnt need it...dont hook it up. Thats why I only buy the ones that have it.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the detailed info pugs,ill tell my Kawi dealer I want the s26,scag also told me I may need separate choke cable,man your good,thanks again,I'll post when I hear more from Kawi
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info pugs,ill tell my Kawi dealer I want the s26,scag also told me I may need separate choke cable,man your good,thanks again,I'll post when I hear more from Kawi
Well I say maybe because alot of scags I have seen had a separate choke cable already. The old FH430 or 381 or 451 or whatever had either combined or seperate and most of my OEMs used the combined. The new FS/FX engines are only available with separate controls.

I just looked in my book and if you want the muffler on the other side(fuel pump side muffler) then it would be the FS481V-BS23.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the very hard to find info, why would I want the muffler on the other side, I think I want it away from the catcher so that would be the s26? Right
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the very hard to find info, why would I want the muffler on the other side, I think I want it away from the catcher so that would be the s26? Right
Yah the S26 would be on the left side if the engine is mounted normally. Now some Scags and other machines mount the engine sideways which would mean you need a different muffler or maybe even an OEM muffler. For scag I am talking about their freedom walkbehind or whatever the cheaper one is.

As for why on the right side/discharge side/fuel pump side? I have no idea....I just know Scag seemed to like using that muffler. Most others went on the other side.