Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Many years ago when I did not have much of an internet presence you could google my company name and my posts from lawnsite would come up.

Some of you may not care but I dont really need my customers or potential customers reading my posts on here.

That is why I dont want my name or website on here and I am assuming the same for the others.
I was the same way.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't like my business names on public forums either
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Legitimate and valid concern for some.

Others I think are living a secret identity being disguised as something they are not.

I understand typing out your business name or typing in your web address as Google may recognize that but what does posting a picture of a truck, sign, or business card do? Would a search hit on the picture????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Legitimate and valid concern for some.

Others I think are living a secret identity being disguised as something they are not.

I understand typing out your business name or typing in your web address as Google may recognize that but what does posting a picture of a truck, sign, or business card do? Would a search hit on the picture????
Posted via Mobile Device
No unless you have an alt tag on it. Which some people do for seo and I despise that lol

But it will pick up on your name in the text. So then said customer goes poking around through your old posts and they find your rants, complaints, etc. You'll have some explaining to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
No unless you have an alt tag on it. Which some people do for seo and I despise that lol

But it will pick up on your name in the text. So then said customer goes poking around through your old posts and they find your rants, complaints, etc. You'll have some explaining to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I totally get the user name thing and completely agree that nobody wants their customers reading through some of our posts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't necessarily mind my business name being here, (it is not Armsden & Son by the way) because I have made it a point to never talk about customers or anything else that could bite me in the a$$. Every single thread or post that I have written has been done so with the fact in mind that EVERYTHING is ready and able to be accessed by the entire world.

I do not however, partake in photos or pictures.... This is a tough one for me because who doesn't want to show their internet buddies their equipment and jobs completed? I know I sure do. But I haven't for fear of certain things happening..... I am more than likely going to relax my rule on this seeing as I am going to be launching my website in the spring anyway....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If people are concerned about local or nearby competition stealing their pics off the forum or copying off your website what is stopping them from pulling up to one of your properties 15 minutes after you leave rolling down the window and snapping a picture of the lawn and landscape.

If some loser does it way out of your service area Then you at least know your doing a good job! How can that hurt? I may very well be over looking something not trying to be wise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We're all aware of what we post is on an open forum, at least I hope we do, You've just always got to be aware of postings on the net. I've never posted anything negative about a customer, honestly why would you say something about somebody that you couldn't say to their face anyway? I'm thinking that's called integrity?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
If people are concerned about local or nearby competition stealing their pics off the forum or copying off your website what is stopping them from pulling up to one of your properties 15 minutes after you leave rolling down the window and snapping a picture of the lawn and landscape.

If some loser does it way out of your service area Then you at least know your doing a good job! How can that hurt? I may very well be over looking something not trying to be wise.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're overlooking the value that Google places on original content. Only one site gets to be the first result for that content. If someone steals it from you, which happens ALL THE TIME (just visit the web sub forum and read some of the review requests. lol), Google gives one of those sites the "full credit" for it. Even if they're not in your area, it can have a detrimental impact. Duplicate photos are now, finally, seeing the same. Just do a reverse image search for that godforsaken, over-processed, landscaping pic that 65,000 other sites use. One gets the credit, and then you have to click deeper to see the "also found at..." links.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You're overlooking the value that Google places on original content. Only one site gets to be the first result for that content. If someone steals it from you, which happens ALL THE TIME (just visit the web sub forum and read some of the review requests. lol), Google gives one of those sites the "full credit" for it. Even if they're not in your area, it can have a detrimental impact. Duplicate photos are now, finally, seeing the same. Just do a reverse image search for that godforsaken, over-processed, landscaping pic that 65,000 other sites use. One gets the credit, and then you have to click deeper to see the "also found at..." links.
Thank you. Now to sound even more dumb is what your saying that these copied images basically give your original images and website less priority during a internet search or in fact can give someone else's site a priority when it should of been yours? Sorry for going way off base on the thread. If I'm going even more out into left field and complicating the issue don't even bother responding.
Posted via Mobile Device