Register free!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer not to text with customers. I don't want them even knowing my cell number. All scheduling is done from the office, and receiving a text mid day when I am wet, muddy, and sweaty, may get missed once I am back in the office. I have done it a few times, but then they expect that is the way to always contact me.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I prefer not to text with customers. I don't want them even knowing my cell number. All scheduling is done from the office, and receiving a text mid day when I am wet, muddy, and sweaty, may get missed once I am back in the office. I have done it a few times, but then they expect that is the way to always contact me.
There are so many things that are way wrong and way right in regards to texting Dana.

A few pros to texting;
1) You have a record of the communication
2) You don't have to answer the text right away.
3) No voicemail to deal with
4) People understand "not at this minute" a bit better.
5) Content is usually brief.
6) Photos and drawings are easy to send as text.

A few of the cons to texting;
1) Texts are impersonal and sometimes misconstrued.
2) Texts mostly require more physical interaction than phone calls do.
3) Voice texting apps suck.
4) OMG, UR, BRB, don't belong in a business communication.
5) Texting while driving is dangerous.
6) I get very few if any sext messages from clients. Mitch is my hero

I talk to a lot of people from coast to coast. They can text me 24 hrs a day and I will return the text or call them at my earliest convenience. A phone call gets an immediate response. Voice mails are iffy as okay not check them very often.

I personally feel that there will never be a perfect communication system to fit all of us, we don't share the same business model. I try to be available for all of my forum friends 1-800-1idejim Mitch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is good and bad. Like what Jim said having a record of the conversation is very helpful. Last summer I was asked for a price via text message on adding a drip zone for some evergreens to screen out their neighbors house. I knew the property/system well so I asked how many trees. She wrote back (12) 10' cedars and Leyland Cypress. I texted her back with the price and she approved. Well when we get there to do the job there were 16 trees. After we finished I texted her that we were done and that it would be a little more $ because of the added trees. She said that she told me it was 16 trees and that she wasn't going to pay, I took a screen shot of her original text with the quantity and sent it to her. She changed her tune right away.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely a love/hate relationship... I absolutely loathe when people try to have full fledged conversations with me through text messaging. I have a handful of regular customers that are great about simply texting me brief information or need for service.. But then I have a few who will literally try to get me to give them a rundown of how to operate their controller, etc through text. I generally cut those conversations short and just call them. Texting is starting to become the preferred method of communication in the business world. Im not crazy about all of it because I feel like it appears unprofessional to use shorthand like all the text wizards, so I find myself always attempting to use proper grammar and full sentence structure which can be a lengthy process to navigate at times. I once was of the belief that texting was mainly for kids, but I have certainly discovered it's also the preferred method by most adult females and they can often hold you down with lengthy text battles. Considering 75% of my customer contact is with females (usually the wife), I am trying to adapt.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with Dana on this. I do not want to be bothered when I'm working. I'm wet and muddy. Calls go through the office unless it's an emergency and that number is on the voice mail.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
Definitely a love/hate relationship... I absolutely loathe when people try to have full fledged conversations with me through text messaging. I have a handful of regular customers that are great about simply texting me brief information or need for service.. But then I have a few who will literally try to get me to give them a rundown of how to operate their controller, etc through text. I generally cut those conversations short and just call them. Texting is starting to become the preferred method of communication in the business world. Im not crazy about all of it because I feel like it appears unprofessional to use shorthand like all the text wizards, so I find myself always attempting to use proper grammar and full sentence structure which can be a lengthy process to navigate at times. I once was of the belief that texting was mainly for kids, but I have certainly discovered it's also the preferred method by most adult females and they can often hold you down with lengthy text battles. Considering 75% of my customer contact is with females (usually the wife), I am trying to adapt.

I organized videos, manuals, pics and highlighted text in folders on my phone. If I'm helping a person with a locate and they need something visual to help reinforce what I'm explaining, I send them as text attachments as soon as I hang up. Much of the material I can send as I am speaking. Worked well so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I'm with Dana on this. I do not want to be bothered when I'm working. I'm wet and muddy. Calls go through the office unless it's an emergency and that number is on the voice mail.
If I talk to someone when working chances are I will forget I told them something then piss them off.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

By the time I can text 2 words I call dial there number and call them.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think that some of you don't realize how many phone calls and emails some of us get in the busy times of our work season. We are only a 3 person company, and on a busy day in May or October, I can get 50-80 phone calls/messages, and 10-30 emails, along with 1-10 work orders from another landscape company. No way do I have time to do the back and forth bu****it of texting. Even emailing can be a PITA going back and forth with what the issue is, and available dates and times. Schedule on the phone, quick, short, get it done, on to the next.

If I'm on site and they are not home and there is an issue that I can text them a photo of, then I do. But not often.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
By the time I can text 2 words I call dial there number and call them.
I can text with the best of them, but I just don't want to do it for work. And like I said, I don't want customers to have my cell phone number.