Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advertising special - or giving away the house?

Looking to grow substantially this season and was wondering about offering a free spring clean up with the signing of a season agreement? What do you guys think?

Last edited by RonWin; 01-29-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

had a change of opinion. Was thinking that this may be a better balance ( free spring cleanup). What are your thoughts for this?

spring cleanup would include the cleanup of all debris/sticks/branches as well as dethatch. would not include aeration.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

How about a free clean up for your existing regulars that had leaf control in the fall.............word of mouth spreads and customers may sign you up over the season. Why would you give a free spring clean up to someone that was to lazy or frugal to pay to get this done.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spring cleanups are still necessary even after a client has a fall cleanup done. I know what you are saying as far as having a cheapo call me up and ask to have their property cleaned up after not having any sort of fall clean up done. This would be fine as long as I reached a price that I was comfortable with, nailing down a season contract. On the bright side I would gain a paying customer and they may be more keen to enjoying a well groomed property and therefore stay with me for years. On the not so bright side I learn that they are a pos customer and I drop them. Isn't this how it usually goes with all aspects of business though? Risk is always involved.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What if they have leaves that didn't get cleaned up in the Fall. Even if they dont need leaves done, it sounds like a whole lot of time and money to be giving away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here we make most of our paying business in May and June clean ups, aerations, power raking, edging - I'll be darned if I will give up the well paying weeks doing spring cleanups for free to gain mowing contracts. If I was one of your regulars that have paid you over the years and found out you were doing free yard cleanups for new customers I would drop you in a heartbeat. Free spring cleanup's for new customers in my opinion is the same thing as being a lowballer. free cleanups to existing customers is customer service. Customer Service, word of mouth, fair pricing and quality workmanship will outsell free spring cleanups in the long run.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
Around here we make most of our paying business in May and June clean ups, aerations, power raking, edging - I'll be darned if I will give up the well paying weeks doing spring cleanups for free to gain mowing contracts. If I was one of your regulars that have paid you over the years and found out you were doing free yard cleanups for new customers I would drop you in a heartbeat. Free spring cleanup's for new customers in my opinion is the same thing as being a lowballer. free cleanups to existing customers is customer service. Customer Service, word of mouth, fair pricing and quality workmanship will outsell free spring cleanups in the long run.
Are there any types of specials you offer to gain new customers? If you were looking to grow your business, what sets you apart from another lco? If a potential customer receives your flyer along with another lco's flyer, how are you going to get the potential customers attention if your work/ customer service is equivalent to your competitors?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your current client acquisition cost?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you a solo operation? Do you have crews? What size of customers are you targeting? the 60 x 120 foot lots. 1 acre, 2 acre? What services do you offering besides trimming and mowing? Is your equipment clean and tidy. Uniforms? Residential customers want polite, clean, neat, tidy, punctual people, that give above quality work with fair pricing and great customer service. They are hiring a professional to do the lawn maintenance because they do not have the time to do it themselves, they don't want to do it, they may be incapable of doing it themselves either due to medical conditions or lack of proper equipment. The new trend is, I am hiring you because I would rather spend quality time with my kids/grandkids. It doesn't matter why they hire a professional, most homeowners take pride in there home and yards and want it to look great. That is where we come in.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do not sell discounts. I sell quality, dependable, professionalism, knowledgeable.

I have found bargain shoppers to be the biggest pain in the butt's. Let the low ballers have them. They deserve each other.

Free spring clean up?

Forget about it. I would have to do about 6 mows to get the money back that I would of lost if I gave a free spring clean up. Do 26 mow's and when the first 6 are not making you a profit but covering the loss that you started the year out with by giving a free spring clean up.

You just turned your 26 week mowing season into a 20 week mowing season. In effect as if you cut your mowing season short by about 1/5 less gross or to give a percentage, 23% less gross. Cutting prices by that much is low balling.

You want more work then don't give free spring clean ups. Just low ball and lower your mowing prices by 23%. That $35 mow will not be $26.95.

Last edited by 32vld; 01-29-2014 at 08:46 PM.