Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buying underground copper line

I'm looking for 500 mcm copper line and I'm finding 1000 foot rolls for anywhere from $8000 to $50,000. Anyone know about this stuff so I can narrow down what I need?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are you doing with it? That wire is rated for something like a quarter million watts. Are you building a small town?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
I'm looking for 500 mcm copper line and I'm finding 1000 foot rolls for anywhere from $8000 to $50,000. Anyone know about this stuff so I can narrow down what I need?
Are you looking for direct burial or in conduit ? Does it have too be Copper?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is for new service on a private road, about 2000 feet. 2 houses and at the end, my shop, with welder and all of that kind of stuff. Engineer likes copper I guess, he said aluminum would have to be 750 mcm. The prices are just all over the place though. Like I said from 8 k to 50 k for the same thing as far as I can tell.

I was told to do 4 inch conduit

Last edited by 4 seasons lawn&land; 01-30-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
It is for new service on a private road, about 2000 feet. 2 houses and at the end, my shop, with welder and all of that kind of stuff. Engineer likes copper I guess, he said aluminum would have to be 750 mcm. The prices are just all over the place though. Like I said from 8 k to 50 k for the same thing as far as I can tell.

I was told to do 4 inch conduit
Copper is about 4 or 5 times as expensvive as alu. Direct burial wire( no conduit is about 20% more and I would do conduit if it was my house. None of the power companies here use conduit. None of the power companies here use copper for neighborhood services.
Normally here with a run like that the power company would drop a step down transformer on the property.
I also will add that 500mcm is not ideal for that run and that load. It is only rated for 380 to 400 amps and the volt drop at high loads will be excessive.

Aluminum does have less amperage capacity for equal size but the cheaper cost offsets that. 750mcm Alu should be about 2.50- 3.50 a foot. 500mcm Copper will be about 10.00-12.00 a ft. Easy choice in my book.

Is this a single phase service? What voltage?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There does need to be a transformer , single phase. I need to get a real plan done in order to know the more particular details. I just talked briefly with this one engineer . He is probably much more familiar with electric plans for corporate buildings, towns, parks, etc. not so much residential.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
There does need to be a transformer , single phase. I need to get a real plan done in order to know the more particular details. I just talked briefly with this one engineer . He is probably much more familiar with electric plans for corporate buildings, towns, parks, etc. not so much residential.
Regardless, you're talking conveyance of electrons. There are billions of miles of transmission lines that are steel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looking at the aluminum prices, it's clear to me that I would go that route... But still, Is there any justification for the range of prices other than some people being a ripoff? It seems like I must be missing something. Admittedly, I obsess about things I spend a lot of money on.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Off topic a bit- you ever notice on forums everyone loves to offer up ways to spend your money for you? Like money is no object and it NEEDS to be done a certain way reguardless of price-after all its your money were talking about here. Why not get some custom made gold plated wire made up? Gold won't corrode blah blah!

Honestly this is over my head now, thought maybe I could help but def over my paygrade here. I am assuming you're only going to trench in the new service and you'll hire the termination? Good luck sparky
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
Off topic a bit- you ever notice on forums everyone loves to offer up ways to spend your money for you? Like money is no object and it NEEDS to be done a certain way reguardless of price-after all its your money were talking about here. Why not get some custom made gold plated wire made up? Gold won't corrode blah blah!

Honestly this is over my head now, thought maybe I could help but def over my paygrade here. I am assuming you're only going to trench in the new service and you'll hire the termination? Good luck sparky
http://eddy-current.com/conductivity...y-resistivity/
Posted via Mobile Device