Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel tank

I am wanting some way of fueling my skid steer on site without using five gallon cans which I have been doing for about 8 yrs now smh. Here is what I got my dad gave me a square aluminum tank that was used as a gas tank for his generator. It has a top hole 1.5" female thread,3/8th female. Then on bottom 1/2 female thread. Any suggestions on a way to set this up. The tank I would guess is about 30 gallon which I think would be fine for me. I was think of making it gravity fed off the 1/2 opening it would sit in the back of my flatbed so the elevation change to my skid would only be slightly down hill. Which could prove tricky. Of there is a way to make it work I figured you guys would know. Thanks Jim
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is it vented? Gas and diesel tanks are different

Can always put a pump on the top
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd recommend putting a pump on it.. 20 gallons gravity fed might take a while..

Plus what if you've gotta fuel an excavator? You won't always be able to get the machine on the downhill side..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very true. The 3/8 hole on top acted as the vent with 2 90degree elbows. The pump on the top would be the perfect way to go but I only have the one 1.5" hole so I would be taking the pump off to fill the tank. Do you guys think a shop would be able to cut a hole and weld in a threaded place for a full port? Reasonably? I wonder does it make it more complicated with it being aluminum. Thanks for the replies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
Very true. The 3/8 hole on top acted as the vent with 2 90degree elbows. The pump on the top would be the perfect way to go but I only have the one 1.5" hole so I would be taking the pump off to fill the tank. Do you guys think a shop would be able to cut a hole and weld in a threaded place for a full port? Reasonably? I wonder does it make it more complicated with it being aluminum. Thanks for the replies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Shouldn't be that big of a deal for a good welding shop. Or you can put a union between the tank and the pump. So when you go to fill up, you just loosen that one big nut and set the pump to the side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Junior you do not want a vent on diesel right?

I know Youre not supposed to put gas in a diesel tank cause of something to do with venting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a lot of trouble, my transfer tank and pump has paid for itself over and over. Very much worth the money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I am looking at. I was thinking about a whole saw then put a bulkhead fitting in and thread a fill cap in that. I dont think this is a tool that will make me any money or pay for itself. But the convience and ease of use would be nice. After an Obama can slipped friday giving me a nice diesel spray from head to toe.
Attached Images

Last edited by FLCthes4:11-12; 02-02-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: picture flip
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Junior you do not want a vent on diesel right?

I know Youre not supposed to put gas in a diesel tank cause of something to do with venting
Posted via Mobile Device
You're not suppose to put gas in a diesel tank because it's not vented like a gas tank.

To the op; You'll need a female threaded coupling between the tank an pump.. But for a fill hole you could just cut a hole in the tank and make some type of water tight lid. Probably weld a short piece of pipe on it and thread a cap on much like is on there now.

And I wouldn't look at this as something that won't make you money. I've got $700 invested in my little set up. I'll have right at a grand in my next set up. It's so convienent and makes life so much easier.. It maybe a lot of money invested but it makes life so much easier. And you save a lot of time and hassle. No more paying guys for a half hour to fuel up, it's just a few minutes. Takes longer to get the grease gun and rag out of the toolbox.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You're not suppose to put gas in a diesel tank because it's not vented like a gas tank.

To the op; You'll need a female threaded coupling between the tank an pump.. But for a fill hole you could just cut a hole in the tank and make some type of water tight lid. Probably weld a short piece of pipe on it and thread a cap on much like is on there now.

And I wouldn't look at this as something that won't make you money. I've got $700 invested in my little set up. I'll have right at a grand in my next set up. It's so convienent and makes life so much easier.. It maybe a lot of money invested but it makes life so much easier. And you save a lot of time and hassle. No more paying guys for a half hour to fuel up, it's just a few minutes. Takes longer to get the grease gun and rag out of the toolbox.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not to mention it looks cool