Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Isuzu NPR HD gas 5.7L replacement engine question

Hey y'all-

I mostly lurk around, but this is one of those times I actually post. If this has all been hashed out before, please just point me to it and I'll shut up http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smili...smiley-060.gif.

So- I recently purchased an early 2000's NPR HD with only 58,000 mi and an open landscape bed. It has a bad 350 (was run low on oil by the workers). It cranks and runs; I drove it up onto the trailer and off the trailer from the street to behind my shop- it runs fine but has a Gawdawful squeak like a bearing is toast and the oil smells burnt mighty bad. Anyway my plan was to pull engine, have it checked (probably machined as necessary) and get it rebuilt. I have average mechanical skills to remove and install an engine, but I have never built one and do not plan to do so with a work vehicle that has to be 100% all the time every time. Finding someone to reassemble an engine in my town is surprisingly difficult.

Anyway, here is the question. My friend pointed this out to me and thinks it should work:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp01

Can anyone confirm or deny that it will fit and be compatible with computers and all, using the top-end from the engine that's in the truck? Its a 4 bolt main, bored & rebuilt to 355/ 5.8L shortblock from ATK High Performance (never heard of them) with no apparent core charge. For $1,300 I'd probably come out ahead, and would have an extra block for use in a project vehicle someday.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it will fit in a 2000 truck.

GM is now making new engines, at a good price. Id call the dealer for a price. The engines were changed in 96-97 so the summit one wont work.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/57-L...P9451C718.aspx
Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's and old school 350 vortec. Long block from any number of sources. Not hard with average skills. Well worth replacing on a low mileage chassis. ATK is a big player in engines. I think you need a 1 piece rear main seal though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 12-18-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
It's and old school 350 vortec. Long block from any number of sources. Not hard with average skills. Well worth replacing on a low mileage chassis. ATK is a big player in engines.
Posted via Mobile Device
For 800$ more Id buy NEW.

Any good machine shop can rebuild the engine that's currently in the truck. As long as it hasn't run hot, that would be better than a ATK.

From the description from the OP it may not need the engine worked on, "squeeling" is not really associataed with a bad engine, while "knocking" is. Id change the oil and fix the squeeling.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for both the replies. I noticed that the engine I posted and Larry's both had mech. fuel pump bosses on the Pass. side of the block? And the Summit block has absolutely 0 info on what it replaces, besides Gen I. I assume that means anything pre-'89 (non-vortec and all)?

ANd stuff like the 1-piece rear seal are the type thing I don't know.

The "good" local machine shop in town has gotten a REALLY bad rep. recently for both doing bad work and being dishonest (they have a contract with a local tugboat company, and do everything else around that). CarQuest here does machine work, but does not do assembly, and again I do NOT want to learn how to assemble an engine on a work truck (just am not interested in me risking screwing up something and not knowing it until I crank it up and it's FUBAR'd and having to redo). Just trying to find the best compromise between money spent and quality netted as I really need this truck running asap, but have to have it when it starts getting warm.

P.S.- I have abt $4,200 in this truck, and justified buying it by telling myself I'd hopefully have abt $6K in it or so, being cheaper and more versatile than another 3/4 ton truck.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see your in Bama Land, Ive used Precision in Birmingham for a lot of engine machine work, but it has been a few years back and the owner was getting old back then so I don't know whats happening there right now, but they did do extremely good work and are fair priced.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the basics, oil pressure, compression, oil condition it could be something as simple as a belt or alternator bearing as Larry suggested.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That summit engine is just the block anyway, you will still have to bold heads and timing chain on it. Not a good choice.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the vin number,8th digit, if it's an R then that L31 is a direct replacement. New engine, warranty at a good price. It's a days work. You lucked into a great opportunity. Guys lust after these trucks. If nothing else it's a profitable flip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmm, I am about 60 miles south of you in Alabama. I would do a search for engine rebuilders or even search cragislist for a good used engine. If I had not rebuilt my transmission in my truck, I would have sold you my engine for about a grand. Good luck...

Tags
help me , isuzu npr , lawncare , mechanical thumbs , truck