Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Member

200 Gallon sprayer in a 1500???

Has anyone ever had any problems with hauling a 200 gallon skid sprayer in the bed of a 1500 size pickup truck? I recently bought a 200 gallon sprayer and although it fits the bed perfectly I'm afraid it may weigh too much when completely full this spring, PLEASE HELP!!! Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are looking at about 1600 pounds for the contents of the tank, plus the weight of the tank and whatever else you have in the truck. I would either get a trailer or modify the rear suspension and brakes. That much weight will create unusual wear and tear over time IMO
Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't want to haul that much weight in that size truck all the time. I went with a 100 gallon skid in my half ton. I've put 800 lbs of fert behind the full tank and went out.. so, thats about the same weight as a 200 gallon skid i guess. however.. the weight was distributed differently than it would be if i had 200 gallons in the tank which sits just behind the cab near center of truck. still, it just wasn't no fun wouldn't want to do it everyday. I've seen guys rolling down the road in half ton trucks with 200 gallons and it doesn't even look good. Like somebody said though.. beef up the suspension.. make sure you got a real good set of tires too.. I'd probably look into putting it on a trailer until you can get a bigger truck. If you got one really big lawn to do early in the day.. you can always drive to that first if you have to fill to 200 gallons.. i just wouldn't want to drive around all day doing small yards with it filled up all the way.

you can always spray at 1.5 gallons per minute. so If you only fill to 100 gallons you can get roughly 66,000 sq. ft. out of a fill or 100,000 sq. ft. of coverage out of a fill if you put just 150 gallons. I've sprayed at 1.5 GPM with blue tips for a few years with excellent results. I do not spray any liquid fertilizers though, I use granular fert only. I just feel at that low volume with liquid fert on most of my yards that don't irrigate it could be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbjohnson View Post
Has anyone ever had any problems with hauling a 200 gallon skid sprayer in the bed of a 1500 size pickup truck? I recently bought a 200 gallon sprayer and although it fits the bed perfectly I'm afraid it may weigh too much when completely full this spring, PLEASE HELP!!! Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. It's nice getting info from guy's who've been around this business a lot longer than I have (I love this site). I'll look into beefing up the suspension or who knows with tax time being here you can usually find some great deals on trucks and maybe I'll get to trade up. And the not filling the tank all the way is also a great alternative. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say use what u got. Fill it a little less if u have to . I never owned a 1500 but the 2500 holds 200 gal no prob , can't be that different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

be glad you got the 200 gallon.. atleast you can fill it less if you have to.. and grow into it more later.. I have a 100 gallon. it works. but really wish i would have got a 200 gallon. Just be safe and use common sense and you will do just fine.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Florida we are FLAT LANDERS. Therefore I can run a 200 tank in a C1500 GMC pickup. I will even pull a trailer at the same time with my 150 gallon ride on fire ant sprayer. Yes it is right at Maximum capacity and braking is slow to react. But if you drive conservatively and not try to win any races you should be OK. BTW My C 1500 has 235 K miles on it and still runs great. But with that type of mileage, I am looking for a deal on a 3/4 ton or bigger to replace it.

If you are in hilly country a 1/2 ton Truck might not be the best choice. GVW is calculated of BRAKING POWER not spring capacity.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would second the need for a heavier duty truck if you intend to be in the business long term. Sure, it's not an absolute necessity, but for what you are doing it is ideal to have a 2500/3500. When I'm filling my tank, I generally only fill for what I expect to need for that day and a little extra. On lighter spray days I may even fill for 2-3 days but I don't like maxing out my tank regardless of my trucks capacity.

I started out with a 1500 and only have a 100gal tank but when I would pull a trailer too, I knew I was going to have to get a bigger truck once I saw how badly the suspension squatted.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT's 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 01-04-2015, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Here in Florida we are FLAT LANDERS. Therefore I can run a 200 tank in a C1500 GMC pickup. I will even pull a trailer at the same time with my 150 gallon ride on fire ant sprayer. Yes it is right at Maximum capacity and braking is slow to react. But if you drive conservatively and not try to win any races you should be OK. BTW My C 1500 has 235 K miles on it and still runs great. But with that type of mileage, I am looking for a deal on a 3/4 ton or bigger to replace it.

If you are in hilly country a 1/2 ton Truck might not be the best choice. GVW is calculated of BRAKING POWER not spring capacity.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Consider using airbags to help with leveling the load. Expect increased brake wear. Give yourself plenty of time and space to slow down in. I carry 2x150 gallon tanks and 1x100 gallon tank on my Dodge 2500 with airbags. It is not a dually.

I don't fill all the tanks up at once very often. But I can carry a load for two different applications if necessary. The one hundred gallon tank is used for perimeter sprays only and it not used when both other tanks are in use.

You truck should be able to handle it if you are careful.

Tags
200 gallon sprayer , dodge 1500 , payload