Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

20 ft. trailer questions

I currently have a 16'' trailer and am considering purchasing a 20'. My plan is to have it built to my specs which are as followed: 20''x7-8'', double axel w/1 brake, 5 ft. back gate, 16'' on center cross-members underneath. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also do you think 20'' is too big for an equipment trailer?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTurfmanagement View Post
I currently have a 16'' trailer and am considering purchasing a 20'. My plan is to have it built to my specs which are as followed: 20''x7-8'', double axel w/1 brake, 5 ft. back gate, 16'' on center cross-members underneath. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also do you think 20'' is too big for an equipment trailer?
20ft could be to short depending on the application. Do you want 3 mowers on it?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
20ft could be to short depending on the application. Do you want 3 mowers on it?
That's the plan, right now I have a 16x6.5 and everything fits but it's really crammed in there and there's absolutely no room for anything else. I'd ideally like to fit my 52 walk, 36 walk, 61 ztr, and possibly a 21 on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the plan, right now I have a 16x6.5 and everything fits but it's really crammed in there and there's absolutely no room for anything else. I'd ideally like to fit my 52 walk, 36 walk, 61 ztr, and possibly a 21 on it
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 18ft and I think my 2 mowers take 17ish ft. I thought about getting a 24ft for that. 24ft would ft 3 ztrs. If you go 20ft this could be a good route http://www.trailersalesofmichigan.co...LUXE-p482.html
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

16" spacing isn't needed. Next you'll say you thought 2x2 .375" tubing should be used A cross brace every 4' will be fine unless you use 1x pine for a deck. You need to keep it light and affordable. Have you priced material vs. buying a standard 20' trailer. You will also have a side gate? Keep it under a ton helps ease getting a title for a homebuilt trailer here in my state. Over 1T requires an appointment for inspection and a drive across the county.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I have a 18ft and I think my 2 mowers take 17ish ft. I thought about getting a 24ft for that. 24ft would ft 3 ztrs. If you go 20ft this could be a good route http://www.trailersalesofmichigan.co...LUXE-p482.html
Are your two mowers ztrs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

It should still be under 1t, I wanted to add less spacing between cross members so that it can hold heavier units. The company I'm dealing with builds trailers, and they're much cheaper than buying new (and comes with title, it's not considered homemade). I had it priced as I listed and I'm just over $2,000
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I know some guys that use 20 footers and fit 2 Ztr, a walker, and a 21. I think a lot of it depends on what you have to pull this trailer. How much is the extra 4 ft of trailer going to drive your fuel costs up? Is it going to be a huge strain on your truck to the point of a lot of extra maintenance? Also something I would be concerned with is do competent employees pull these trailers? Pulling, backing and maneuvering a 20 footer is a little different than a 16 ft. With all that being said, if I had a huge need for a 20 footer I would probably go ahead with it.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Are your two mowers ztrs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya. The Kubota is just under 8ft and the grasshopper around 8.5 ft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
It should still be under 1t, I wanted to add less spacing between cross members so that it can hold heavier units. The company I'm dealing with builds trailers, and they're much cheaper than buying new (and comes with title, it's not considered homemade). I had it priced as I listed and I'm just over $2,000
Posted via Mobile Device
my 18ft landscaper from that commpany was 1800 new with 7k gvw, dove tail, double axel breaks. I think now they are 2400 Don't use mesh as the tail gate, I can't get them to last.
Posted via Mobile Device