Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Just starting out this year

This year will be my first year starting out on my own. I will be working full time at my other job and doing Lawn Care in the mornings before work and on my three days off a week that I have. My truck and trailer and all my tools I will own out right. How many of you work full time at another job and do Lawn care on your days off and do you think that you have enough time to grow your business so you can go full time and make a good living?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a nicer trailer to start with than I had.

Whether people on here will admit it or not; I would say 90% of us started out just as you are. I worked a regular clock job year round in a factory for three years building my business. Once the business got too big for me to work a regular job during mowing season, I left. For two more years I worked part time in the winter in a customers restaurant. So after 5 years I shifted gears to the business full time with no other employment. I've read most on here doing it much quicker. I chose to do it with no debt, grow it slow and make the business pay for everything. My first two years I would loved to have had that trailer you have to start with.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Sponsor

Just remember to have enough funds in reserve to cover all of your day to day expenses. I recommend 18 months minimum. If you have zero funds in reserve, don't waist your time and any money.
Based on your thread you sound like your either a Fireman or a EMT. Possible Police?. Actually does not matter since ATM you know what you can and can not do. You are also the only person that can determin what "growing a business so you can go full time and make a good living" Means. There are many changes coming down the Pike and many will not be good. Just be prepared and don't over extend yourself.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I still do lawn care part time. This year I will have a new 61"ZTR and a custom made trailer all paid for in cash. I will be running 2ZTRS. Currently have 33 accounts looking to go to 40 this year. Plan is to get to 50 accounts and still keep my full time job.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I have no reserve but that is why I am working a full time job while I am starting out. No I am not a EMT or police. I work full time as a supervisor at a Xerox call center. I start work at 11:30 so I figure I can get a few lawns in before I start work and then I do have three days off a week. The Trailer I got I found on craigslist for only $500.00 really good deal took a lot of looking though
Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is my website that I just started getting up please give me feed back www.Byerleyslawncare.com