Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad idea to tow with 3.42 rear axle ratio? Opinions please!

Let me hear it please? I have only towed 3.73 or 4.10. Good idea or bad idea? Salesman told me it would be fine. I would rather hear from experience
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscutter24 View Post
Let me hear it please? I have only towed 3.73 or 4.10. Good idea or bad idea? Salesman told me it would be fine. I would rather hear from experience
Is it a Turbo?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Is it a Turbo?
yes, 6.7 Cummins diesel with Aisin transmission
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is very little difference between a 3.42 and 3.73 and I don't think you will feel it in the seat of the pants meter. It's a 6 speed so if you're use to a 4 speed with OD it will be equivalent to a 4.10. You're only looking at the rear gear and not the transmission. Automatics slip through the torque converter too to allow the engine to be at optimal RPM to get you going.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
There is very little difference between a 3.42 and 3.73 and I don't think you will feel it in the seat of the pants meter. It's a 6 speed so if you're use to a 4 speed with OD it will be equivalent to a 4.10. You're only looking at the rear gear and not the transmission. Automatics slip through the torque converter too to allow the engine to be at optimal RPM to get you going.
I currently run F350 6.4 (3.73 ratio) which towed like a beast,but I am giving up hope on it as it has been in the shop for a rebuilt engine at 50k miles and has been in the shop ever since needing another engine. Thank you for your input
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I currently run F350 6.4 (3.73 ratio) which towed like a beast,but I am giving up hope on it as it has been in the shop for a rebuilt engine at 50k miles and has been in the shop ever since needing another engine. Thank you for your input
How heavy is your setup? Gas isn't an option for you? Yea you might suck more gas but it's far more reliable it seems these days and it takes a lot of gas to make up the initial price difference. I seen your other post saying you have a 24ft enclosed and 3 ztrs that's only about 6500lbs which isn't much even for a decent gas engine.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have considered gas. But, there is nothing like power of a diesel when towing around all day w/ enclosed trailer. My first truck was a gasser. It was a lot easier pulling all day with the diesel. When I bought the 350 diesel, I figured I would be set for a long time. Didn't expect to have so many problems like I do now with it. So I definitely have mixed feelings on it
Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep in mind I also use truck for hauling sod, landscape materials, plowing, etc. not just pulling enclosed trailer.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
How heavy is your setup? Gas isn't an option for you? Yea you might suck more gas but it's far more reliable it seems these days and it takes a lot of gas to make up the initial price difference. I seen your other post saying you have a 24ft enclosed and 3 ztrs that's only about 6500lbs which isn't much even for a decent gas engine.
Do you have gas or diesel?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Do you have gas or diesel?
I had a 6.0 and didn't have any big issues beside an oil leak fixed under warranty. I have used many of them with issues at work. I also have used the newer 6.4 and 6.7 ford trucks. I never had any issues with the 6.7 it just used a lot of goat piss. The 6.4 got replaced but for what for I couldn't tell you as it got traded to a different yard and the person that got it was pretty hard on trucks. The truck in my avator is an 06 6.0. I probably would never buy a new diesel as the 7-10k price increase just isn't worth it. If I needed to tow big stuff I would just go for an international with a dt466 and be way cheaper over a light duty diesel. I know people that have had the 6.7 and had transmission issues and emission issues. It's a cummins but it isn't a 5.9. All the newer diesel will have their problems now that they have been over complicated. You would be surprised at how well the newer gas trucks pull 8-10k Yes the engine sounds like they are working harder but they're built for it.