Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Deckover Trailers

Hey Guys,

It's time for another equipment trailer. Trailer that we are currently doing most of our heavier hauling with is a 20ft Carson/A1 (16ft flat/4 ft dovetail). I have hated this trailer since the day it rolled to the shop. Has never pulled well and we redecked it for the 2nd time in 3 years today (have never had to redeck another trailer we own and have been in business 15 years). I think this is b/c of the 24" crossmembers instead of 16" like they should be. Enough of my rant. Fact is we need another heavier trailer in the fleet. This trailer is NOT a deckover.

I think we are going to go ahead and get a bumper pull deckover. I have narrowed it down to Hudson, PJ, and Kaufman. The Hudson and PJ are rated at 14k and the Kaufman is rated at 16k. They are all within $1000 of each other. I would really like some input from ya'll. We will mainly haul skid steers, compact tractors, (both with implements), pallets of fert, seed and block, and B&B trees with it. Let me know what you guys think, I'm usually quick to make a decision, but am kind of stuck right now.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My friend just took delivery of a Kaufman. He got the deluxe with pallet pockets. VERY nice trailer.

He got fold up ramps. Personally I like fold up gates on deck overs. They just same alot.safer to me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLinc View Post
Hey Guys,

It's time for another equipment trailer. Trailer that we are currently doing most of our heavier hauling with is a 20ft Carson/A1 (16ft flat/4 ft dovetail). I have hated this trailer since the day it rolled to the shop. Has never pulled well and we redecked it for the 2nd time in 3 years today (have never had to redeck another trailer we own and have been in business 15 years). I think this is b/c of the 24" crossmembers instead of 16" like they should be. Enough of my rant. Fact is we need another heavier trailer in the fleet. This trailer is NOT a deckover.

I think we are going to go ahead and get a bumper pull deckover. I have narrowed it down to Hudson, PJ, and Kaufman. The Hudson and PJ are rated at 14k and the Kaufman is rated at 16k. They are all within $1000 of each other. I would really like some input from ya'll. We will mainly haul skid steers, compact tractors, (both with implements), pallets of fert, seed and block, and B&B trees with it. Let me know what you guys think, I'm usually quick to make a decision, but am kind of stuck right now.
I use to work for a company not to far away from you based in Mount Airy that drives yellow trucks. They used Butler trailers and we beat the snot out of them with backhoes and everything else. Butler trailer isn't far from you too.

Last edited by unkownfl; 01-31-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look up Better Built Trailers. They make a very nice deck over bumper pull.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The company I worked for in Mount Airy sells used trailers as they are getting out of doing a lot of underground work. Let me know if you can't figure out the company and are interested.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer sells both hudson and interstate but he said the hudson is an ok trailer but not as durable in the long run. Lighter steel etc
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
My friend just took delivery of a Kaufman. He got the deluxe with pallet pockets. VERY nice trailer.

He got fold up ramps. Personally I like fold up gates on deck overs. They just same alot.safer to me
Posted via Mobile Device
My only issue with the Kaufman is that for what I feel is an equivalent trailer to the PJ and the Hudson I have to go one size up. That is not a big deal because that still makes it the cheapest of the 3, but is still a concern considering that is essentially the issue that I am having with my current trailer.

And I do like the gate as well. Our current equipment trailer has a super heavy gate that makes it idiot proof.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
My dealer sells both hudson and interstate but he said the hudson is an ok trailer but not as durable in the long run. Lighter steel etc
Interesting that you say that, because in my personal experience PJ has been the toughest trailer. However, my fabricator says that he would have to buy a Hudson over everything else because they are more durable than any other trailer that he has seen. I really respect his opinion and he works on all of our trailers, as well as most of the other local landscapers and construction companies. His largest customer (a landscaper of about 200 employees) will not run anything but a PJ, but he still says his personal preference is the Hudson.

I guess I should note that our oldest trailer is a PJ. It is the trailer we used for EVERYTHING when we only had one trailer. It still runs everyday now that we have 9 trucks. All other trailers bought afterwards have been traded out at least once.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I use to work for a company not to far away from you based in Mount Airy that drives yellow trucks. They used Butler trailers and we beat the snot out of them with backhoes and everything else. Butler trailer isn't far from you too.
I'll check it out.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Deckover Trailers

We just ordered a new towmaster tc-16 bumper pull deckover. 20 foot deck, 16k capacity, etc. biggest thing was we got it galvanized this time.

It seems like we usually end up keeping a trailer till it's junk so I'm hoping with regular maintenance the trailer will last quite a bit longer than our previous trailers. Salt and gravel roads really take a toll on equipment so I'm optimistic the galvanizing will hold up a lot better and provide us with more years of service.

I haven't been too impressed with PJ trailers. I don't think they're built as well as a towmaster and their powder coating stinks. Our pj dump has huge pieces flaking off the sides and looks like hell. There is a helluva price difference between a pj and a Towmaster though.