Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Rate, as an industry, how well landscaping software meets your needs

I have been in the landscaping lawn industry for @ 6 years. Previously I was in healthcare. I have been surprised and disappointed on how poorly the landscaping software performs that is out there in the marketplace. It seems to be on each end of the spectrum - either too elemental or simple, in that it doesn't meet our needs or is too difficult to implement, operate and then possibly transition over to a different product. Also the costs are either really cheap, or so expensive that it makes you think twice - what if I don't like the software - it's such a large investment of time and dollars to implement.

Would each of you give me your evaluation of where the industry is on software on a scale of 1 - 10? 1 = useless 10 = absolutely fantastic.

The areas I would ask you to look at would be affordability - does it meet your needs - is it easy to use - customer service.

PS. I'm not a software company trying to introduce a new product.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean scheduling software? or Design software?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see quite a few new companies are advertising on Lawnsite this year.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Speaking of what I would call "maintenance" software. Everyday software that meets all the requirements of running a company day to day. - billing, routing' work order mgt, fiscal mgt, etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like what i pay for Service Autopilot is fairly cheap $140/mo for my company. Someone with a smaller company may say that is too much for them. I do feel overall it does a pretty good job.

From what I have seen, Real Green is the top of the heap but is also more money than what i pay now.

I dont think any of the scheduling software is up to the level of something like quickbooks as far as working the way it is suppose to without errors/bugs.

I guess this business is not big enough for any of the real big software companies to put out something.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
I feel like what i pay for Service Autopilot is fairly cheap $140/mo for my company. Someone with a smaller company may say that is too much for them. I do feel overall it does a pretty good job.

From what I have seen, Real Green is the top of the heap but is also more money than what i pay now.

I dont think any of the scheduling software is up to the level of something like quickbooks as far as working the way it is suppose to without errors/bugs.

I guess this business is not big enough for any of the real big software companies to put out something.

Google actually tried with Google Coordinate. There were major problems with adoption however and they sort of canned the program. I think it was about 25$/user for their system. It's a niche market for sure, but it is still pretty big. 74 billion dollar industry. employs close to 900k people, just over 400k companies (http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/de...spx?indid=1497). I say still worth a look, and it is definitely an industry that needs some tech enhancements. It will have such a big impact on the industry.

Do you remember when the speed feed whip head came out? OMG it was the greatest invention ever. Still in awe of how simple and helpful that one is.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 02-21-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that the market for landscapers of all types would be large. I would love to see more and better products
Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
I agree that the market for landscapers of all types would be large. I would love to see more and better products
Same here, the one we are building is great, but the advancements in actual equipment hardware will be very interesting as well. Never dull blades, electric start whips, liquid cooled zero turn seats
Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My gut feeling is that the software that is out there has by and large been developed by folks like you and me. It's good that we have some products that meet some of our needs but it's makes us a bit myopic in that what meets my needs as a smaller provider is not helpful to a larger entity. Also, my own technical knowledge and how to apply the latest and greatest is certainly lacking.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman2420 View Post
My gut feeling is that the software that is out there has by and large been developed by folks like you and me. It's good that we have some products that meet some of our needs but it's makes us a bit myopic in that what meets my needs as a smaller provider is not helpful to a larger entity. Also, my own technical knowledge and how to apply the latest and greatest is certainly lacking.
Very true. Scalability is a tricky situation with anything. A tool that works for the 1 man crew and the 1000 men crews is the sweet spot. So companies usually choose one to tailor to, big or small. As with anything though, big things have small beginnings. Scalability should be a major concern for all the software companies in the space, I know it is for us.