2. Work with the people
3. Being outside
4. Lawn Equipment
5. cutting grass clams me down a relaxes me
Old 02-02-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
Armsden: Thank you! I've noticed your positive input in a lot of threads on here. Its good to see another Upstate NYr with a good attitude. Where in the Dax are you based out of?

4 Seasons: I don't know leisurely is the word I'd use for firewood. You must have a processor. I do agree its enjoyable if you keep from beating yourself up too bad like I do all to often. Sweet Dodge btw! Cummins? How do you like it?

A.W. Landscapers: 3. Organizing. <--Something I really gotta work on learning to enjoy. Its funny how much easier things are when you enjoy them. Now I really enjoy when things are nice and neat and well organized, just have to try to remember that feeling when taking on the organizing process.

GeorgiaLawn: I can't believe I left that one off the list. That definitely something I love about my business. Unfortunately, for a list of jobs I can think of this isn't the case.

I'm glad I started this thread, its really nice to hear what you guys love about your businesses, and being reminded about what I enjoy and have to look forward to again in the coming season. Hope all you guys have a great year!

I don't have a processor. I suppose any work can be either leisurely or flat out depending on how you go at it. We just tend to do firewood without busting ass. It's nice to work slow and steady on your own property, no one watching or listening. Not a lot to go wrong, no expectations from customers, or potential to do something wrong. No underbidding/losing your shirt. Takes pretty much zero thought or planning. Plus I get to use some of my favorite things, chain saws and excavators.

Dodge is great, it's a 5500 cummins. Bought as a leftover so it's not quite a year old, only 8000 miles right now.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

1 being my own boss
2 making money doing what want when I want
3 rocking and rolling on my mower
4 creating something out of nothing
5 o yeah buying new equipment is so cool and I get to use
it on my own property
Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Earning more than $16.75 that I get at my full-time job.

Knowing any success or failures in the business are because of me. I am not relying on anyone else.

I get a 5 month break each year.

When people write me nice reviews. It makes me feel like they actually appreciate what I am doing instead of feeling like random peon mowing.

This is not my full-time job. I appreciate the extra money lawn care gives me to go on decent vacations, pay extra house payments, and throw a few extra thousand in my 401k. Mowing is literally going to help me be able to retire at 52.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Armsden: I know Plattsburgh too well. Spent a year at college up there when I graduated high school. My plans and goals changed, I wasn't a big fan of the place when I was up there, and tended to spend most of my time in Montreal, Burlington or the ADKS (or in the woods of the NE in general) but looking back I had a blast up there. Seems like its definitely a good place to run a landscaping business. I was picturing you trying to run a mowing business in the ADKS, which seems like it would be a little harder to carve out your niche. Side note: You ever go to the Noon Mark Diner in Keene Valley? One of my favorite diners in all the land, been goin there since I was a little kid. I try to stop there on most of my trips up that way.

4 Seasons: I hear you on choosing your own pace. I'm just usually not the person to judge what my pace should be. Get a bunch of coffee in me and I go thinkin I'm superman and trying to lift things I shouldn't. Getting a tractor or a skidsteer will definitely help me out with the wood business a bit. I'm assuming with an excavator you don't stack the wood but just scoop it from the pile into the truck. Do you cover it with tarps or just leave it out? I see a lot of people doing both and am trying to figure out what works best pretty quickly as I try and grow the firewood side of my business. A buddy of mine has a similar truck and I was jealous as hell the first time I saw it. Beautiful truck. My next work truck will probably be a dodge, possibly even a 2500 with a hemi. They make great work trucks, but since my truck now is also my personal driver, it had to be a Chevy What kind of mileage are you getting from the Cummins?

Middle Tennessee: I'll have to give that a try. I never fill out deposit slips, just record checks for my records and hand the teller a pile of 'em. They don't seem to mind at all. I thought it was easier on me not to use deposit slips but now I feel like I'm missing out on the fun.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BckYrdLmbrJk View Post
Armsden: I know Plattsburgh too well. Spent a year at college up there when I graduated high school. My plans and goals changed, I wasn't a big fan of the place when I was up there, and tended to spend most of my time in Montreal, Burlington or the ADKS (or in the woods of the NE in general) but looking back I had a blast up there. Seems like its definitely a good place to run a landscaping business. I was picturing you trying to run a mowing business in the ADKS, which seems like it would be a little harder to carve out your niche. Side note: You ever go to the Noon Mark Diner in Keene Valley? One of my favorite diners in all the land, been goin there since I was a little kid. I try to stop there on most of my trips up that way.

4 Seasons: I hear you on choosing your own pace. I'm just usually not the person to judge what my pace should be. Get a bunch of coffee in me and I go thinkin I'm superman and trying to lift things I shouldn't. Getting a tractor or a skidsteer will definitely help me out with the wood business a bit. I'm assuming with an excavator you don't stack the wood but just scoop it from the pile into the truck. Do you cover it with tarps or just leave it out? I see a lot of people doing both and am trying to figure out what works best pretty quickly as I try and grow the firewood side of my business. A buddy of mine has a similar truck and I was jealous as hell the first time I saw it. Beautiful truck. My next work truck will probably be a dodge, possibly even a 2500 with a hemi. They make great work trucks, but since my truck now is also my personal driver, it had to be a Chevy What kind of mileage are you getting from the Cummins?

Middle Tennessee: I'll have to give that a try. I never fill out deposit slips, just record checks for my records and hand the teller a pile of 'em. They don't seem to mind at all. I thought it was easier on me not to use deposit slips but now I feel like I'm missing out on the fun.

Ya I load it with the skid steer usually, ex if the skid isn't around. I don't cover it. What I mainly meant by using the excavator is that I hold the logs with it at waste level and saw to firewood length. Chunks drop near splitter and my help grabs them to split. The cummins gets about 10 mpg. I'm a chevy guy but they don't make heavy trucks anymore. If I were going to buy another gasser it would definitely be another chevy 6.0. My 2007 has 100 k on it and it's been awesome. I will probably replace it with a new d max in the next year or two.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Ya I load it with the skid steer usually, ex if the skid isn't around. I don't cover it. What I mainly meant by using the excavator is that I hold the logs with it at waste level and saw to firewood length. Chunks drop near splitter and my help grabs them to split. The cummins gets about 10 mpg. I'm a chevy guy but they don't make heavy trucks anymore. If I were going to buy another gasser it would definitely be another chevy 6.0. My 2007 has 100 k on it and it's been awesome. I will probably replace it with a new d max in the next year or two.
Sounds like you've got a nice system going there. A skid steer would make my firewood situation a lot easier but it'll come in time. I still enjoy doing it. I hear you about the Chevy's. The comfort and driveability was the big seller for me. My last 2500 had a 6.0 w 4:10s and it sucked gas like crazy which is one of the reasons I went with the Duramax this time around. Can't blame you for gettin the Dodge though for a heavier truck. They are beasts!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

1. No boss
2. No boss
3. No boss
4. No boss
5. Winters off

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. love being outside.
2. like my customers.
3. like to hear and see my customers responses when have finished a job.
4. clean nice stripes.
5. teaching my employees.
6. using my imagination for landscape ideas.
7. falling asleep outside after the day is done.