LawnSite Silver Member

1) sharp blades
2) striping
3) admiring my work
4) I love my customers...
5) MILFs

Consolation:
(6) NO BAGGING
(7) the first 2 months of Winter prior to: FULL BORE Spring Fever ~> which starts about......right..........NOW.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
1) sharp blades
2) striping
3) admiring my work
4) I love my customers...
5) MILFs

Consolation:
(6) NO BAGGING
(7) the first 2 months of Winter prior to: FULL BORE Spring Fever ~> which starts about......right..........NOW.
Come on man I said FIVE!

Well said. Couldnt agree more with all of those.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
5) MILFs [/I]
Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like "being outside" is a common theme. +1 to that entry. Nature is indeed a wonderful thing to admire, and the beauty never ceases.

I love equipment, operating, understanding, maintaining, repairing (well, most of the time).

Freedom to make decisions, use time wisely and be as productive as possible.

Planning strategy to accomplish a given scope of work. Yes, routine grass cutting doesn't leave much room, but continually working to be more efficient and productive opens these door.

Lastly, and most important, are customers. I know, I know, ... I read thread after thread about how people hate customers. Frankly, I don't understand the dislike. No customers, no business. They are the only necessary element to make this work. But, apart from giving me the opportunity to work for them, are the relationships. Making all kinds of $$$, making crisp and straight stripes, and having the latest gadget may have merit. But, we live in community. We live with interchange and discourse one to another. Of all people, we are physically able to do something that is of help to somebody else. Many in our midst have health or other issues that prevent them from being out and about, doing tasks that people want and need done. Service to our fellow man gives us purpose and well-being. With our interaction, we have lots of opportunity to give of ourselves and to receive from others. We can miss out on much of life's experiences by only viewing a customer as a number, a check, or a problem.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

1. Filling out deposit slips
2. Working with equipment
3. Relaxing in the recliner and eating dinner after a hard day's work
4. Being my own boss
5. Smell of fresh cut grass and the smell of diesel or gas burning from the mowers
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post

Lastly, and most important, are customers. I know, I know, ... I read thread after thread about how people hate customers. Frankly, I don't understand the dislike. No customers, no business. They are the only necessary element to make this work. But, apart from giving me the opportunity to work for them, are the relationships. Making all kinds of $$$, making crisp and straight stripes, and having the latest gadget may have merit. But, we live in community. We live with interchange and discourse one to another. Of all people, we are physically able to do something that is of help to somebody else. Many in our midst have health or other issues that prevent them from being out and about, doing tasks that people want and need done. Service to our fellow man gives us purpose and well-being. With our interaction, we have lots of opportunity to give of ourselves and to receive from others. We can miss out on much of life's experiences by only viewing a customer as a number, a check, or a problem.
Right on! I agree wholeheartedly. Unless they don't pay. Then **** those ****ing ****ers.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In no particular order:

1. Going to the bank on a hot Friday late afternoon after a long & profitable week of working to deposit a bunch of money. The rapper Paul Wall came out with an album recently called #CheckSeason and whenever my buddies that own companies or I go to the bank that's what we call it, jokingly of course!

2. Reading an email or getting a phone call from a client stating we landed the job or account.

3. Being outside. I know that the only ticket to making real money in this industry is being out of the field and in the office and/or selling before having a sales team, in the meantime, over the next year or two before I want to be out of the field, I'm going to enjoy the time I spend outside especially on the hot humid days because that is my favorite weather.

4. The stress of a larger job and managing others, along with setting up routes, doing accounting work, crunching numbers such as what I did for 12 hrs straight yesterday and am continuing today...creating the 2014 budget as well as creating an estimating and pricing system.

5. Looking at a property that we completely redid the lawn & landscape after collecting the final check and seeing how lush it looks and a happy client that will want recurring services as well.

6. This one is actually the most important - the fact that the sky is the limit with how much I want to grow my company, and then sell it, is awesome! I then plan to start another business venture. But there are SO MANY people that think this industry has no money to be made in it, when in reality, just looking at the list of the top 100 says otherwise. There is no limit.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Back Yard LumberJack....

Noon Mark Diner is THE BOMB!!!!!! My wife and I go often and I always get grilled cheese with bacon and tomato!!!

Yeah, Plattsburgh is only ok if you are younger or a college student... Not much to do you know? But business is really great and I am happy to raise my son here as well... It's definitely a better place to raise him than where we were in Boston....

PAUL WALL FOOLS!!!!!!!

I Knew there was a reason that I liked you so much JContracting.....

My favorite track is Gwopanese....
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Back Yard LumberJack....

Noon Mark Diner is THE BOMB!!!!!! My wife and I go often and I always get grilled cheese with bacon and tomato!!!

Yeah, Plattsburgh is only ok if you are younger or a college student... Not much to do you know? But business is really great and I am happy to raise my son here as well... It's definitely a better place to raise him than where we were in Boston....

PAUL WALL FOOLS!!!!!!!

I Knew there was a reason that I liked you so much JContracting.....

My favorite track is Gwopanese....

I've only heard one song off his new album and I was at a party and didn't catch the name, it was good though. I follow him on Instagram and see all kinds of posts from him about rollin' in his slab in the Houston streets. Haha
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a great thread. There are so many things about this industry that I love it is tough to narrow it down to just 5. Here are mine but I'm sure I'm leaving something out.
1 Meeting new people and selling "MY" services.
2 Taking a lawn that looks rough and making it pop.
3 The feeling of getting paid to do something I love.
4 The smell of fresh cut grass in the morning.
5 Playing with power equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device