Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

1- Hearing people talk about my work. Being 18, a lot of people don't expect the quality they usually would, so when you go above and beyond, people really let you hear their appreciation.
2- My Gravely. I love everything about it, but mostly the fact that I own it.
3- turning a yard around. A lot of the yards I get are rough, and seeing stripes in them after only having the account for a few weeks puts a smile on my face.
4- the money. Almost all of my friends make minimum wage, so that alone REALLY makes me appreciate my hourly rate.
5- being outside. I think I would go nuts sitting around. I love the heat, I love always being in motion, and I love staying in shape from blowing and weedeating.

At this point in my life, I can't think of much I'd rather be doing. Sad to say this is my last summer in lawn care, but it has been a good run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Cowboy!!!!!!

Why is this your last summer in lawn care?

And don't tell me because you are going to college or bible school because wherever there is Sun, and Rain, and things that are green......... YOU CAN WORK!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post

And don't tell me because you are going to college or bible school because wherever there is Sun, and Rain, and things that are green......... YOU CAN WORK!!!!!!
It's true! Mechanical engineering at either the University of Alabama or Mississippi State, both of which are 12 hours from home. Not sure that hauling my mowers down there is the most logical thing right now!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO95 View Post
It's true! Mechanical engineering at either the University of Alabama or Mississippi State, both of which are 12 hours from home. Not sure that hauling my mowers down there is the most logical thing right now!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've read quite a few stories on here on how many a college kid put himself through school landscaping and in the process ended up with quite a successful business after graduation, ultimately making more than that piece of paper is ever going to bring.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've read quite a few stories on here on how many a college kid put himself through school landscaping and in the process ended up with quite a successful business after graduation, ultimately making more than that piece of paper is ever going to bring.
The "piece of paper" can be worth millions. If you applied yourself and started some sort of engineering firm, one can make lots of money with it. He could also get his lawn/landscape business to run itself while he's in school and pay for his school easily. I'm wishing I did that! Student loan repayment began in Dec for me... I started at 19 and wish I started in about junior year of high school when I was 16-17.

KCM, don't just give away what you've worked hard for!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post

<-- That's if you're referring to the guy in WI, he's actually only a couple hours away from me.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=KCMO95;4955809]It's true! Mechanical engineering at either the University of Alabama or Mississippi State, ..../QUOTE]

Kudos to you!!! Get your engineering education and find a path to a career that is fulfilling and worthy. There are plenty of others who want to cut grass (just read LS for a couple of hours). Leave your mowers at home, and engage the college experience to the fullest.

I wish you well.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the support guys! I've always had a mind for math and innovation, so I think engineering is really what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. Specifically- dealing with Diesel engine efficiency. I already have a few ideas of things I would like to see implemented or furthered in diesels. Who knows, once I get down south I'll probably still want to work. I may try to find something working with a company in Tuscaloosa or Starkville (or Stanford if I get lucky in late march) or on campus itself. Either way, I'm looking forward to this season and seeing what all I can take on before I have to leave! Even if this is my last year I'm sure I'll still read up on LS regularly for a long while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
It's true! Mechanical engineering at either the University of Alabama or Mississippi State, ....

Kudos to you!!! Get your engineering education and find a path to a career that is fulfilling and worthy. There are plenty of others who want to cut grass (just read LS for a couple of hours). Leave your mowers at home, and engage the college experience to the fullest.

I wish you well.
I think you dwell on this industry because you couldn't make it work for yourself. For those of us that plan to grow our companies to all they can be and then some, we aren't "grass cutters" or how ever you portray it, we are business owners in one of the most competitive industries. But the funny thing is that you've mentioned on here before that you're a solo op so I suppose that would mean you're just a mere "grass cutter" then, wouldn't it?

You must not be aware of the top 100 or even the fact that there are hundreds of lawn/landscape/snow companies in the 7 figure range.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not downplaying getting a degree by any means, I have one myself, but these days they aren't near as valuable as they used to be 20-30 years ago. And as I mentioned, if he loves this industry why not use it to put himself through college, it's a viable way to get your education and pay for it while doing something you love. Even if he's on a scholarship of some sort ( if he did well in high school there's no reason he's not) the extra money never hurts.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roll tide!