Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I had a lot of issues too!!! I had many friends who were always getting fired. It takes years to be a "salty" Marine, but only weeks to get out. And once your out, your on your own!!! I learned quickly some of my choices of words were not so welcomed in civilian life

What was your MOS? Maybe we crossed paths, I got out 7 years ago.
I was an 0811 ( Cannon Cocker) over on N St. in Camp Lejeune.

Your are absolutely right about how civilians can't or won't accept Marine humor. I just had something happen the other day at the crossfit gym. Basically, I wasn't feeling the work out, and had some choice word about what I would rather be doing. The instructor looked like someone just kicked his mom in the face.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post

Your are absolutely right about how civilians can't or won't accept Marine humor. I just had something happen the other day at the crossfit gym. Basically, I wasn't feeling the work out, and had some choice word about what I would rather be doing. The instructor looked like someone just kicked his mom in the face.
10th Marines???

I was 2/8 Golf co on C st. We used to do patrols over by you guys a lot.

There is no great thing than Marine humor! Whats best is the looks people give you....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I enjoy looking over the job apps I have had 9 so far today 8 you could toss out immediate one I seperated for now. Very common for people to lie on applications they think us dumb old lawn care employers do not know how to fact check. One thing I dont like in TN is you cannot tell another employer the employee was fired. Only they worked such and such and there performance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to tell this I have people ask for high starting pay but one asked for 36.50 hour and 3 weeks vacation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
10th Marines???

I was 2/8 Golf co on C st. We used to do patrols over by you guys a lot.

There is no great thing than Marine humor! Whats best is the looks people give you....
I was Tango Battery 5/10. They have disbanded them now though.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
I enjoy looking over the job apps I have had 9 so far today 8 you could toss out immediate one I seperated for now. Very common for people to lie on applications they think us dumb old lawn care employers do not know how to fact check. One thing I dont like in TN is you cannot tell another employer the employee was fired. Only they worked such and such and there performance.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's the same here in SC, pretty much everywhere I think now, but the key wording they ask is "Are they rehirable'? if not, that's the same as they were fired for poor performance or some such nonsense, as a failed drug test or something. I'm a vet of ten years and came out as a SSG. shoulda went ahead and finished my twenty, young and dumb though. If you held a position of responsibility in the military it's hard to transition that over to the civilian world, unlike they advertise, it's just not the same thing.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 02-04-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I don't get it. During the past 5 years, we hired 4 vets.

Air Force (1)

101st Airborne (1)

82nd airborne (1)

Army National Guard (1)

Two of the above were "released early" while the other two "did the basic minimum".

Lord knows if anybody respects this Country & its military, it's us. Even have a son-in-law in the 82nd (Major). Now we have an applicant who served in the 101st -- thinking about hiring him.

The Air Force guy lasted about 1 1/2 years. The rest lasted less than 4 months.

Can anybody figure this out? I sure can't, and we are not hard on the guys compared to other LCO's. Totally weird to me. Any reasons why vets get lazy & don't show up for work?
I'm ex military, 10 years.

Here's why they won't last long:
PAY.

What do you pay your guys? let's say it's $14/hr for the basic guy.

160 hours per month is $2,240.00

you said most of these guys put in their basic single enlistment and got out.
so lets assume a rank of E-4.
Take the 82nd airborne guy.

an E-4 base pay is $2215.00
plus his jump pay $150.00
Separate rations? $330.00
Variable housing allowance? $600.00

so you're falling a grand short of meeting the pay they are used to a month, not to mention they got paid year round in the military.
then there is the copious amounts of TDY and combat/hazardous duty pay that they have become accustomed to.

No offense to returning vets trying to get into the civilian market, but they have to get a grip on the reality of what civilian pay is, and it's not going to match their expectations, so they have to tighten the belt and get rid of the power ram they bought in fayetteville for 25% apr and buy a beater with a heater to get to work.

This is going to take time for this adjustment to happen, during which time many will fall flat on their faces.
PTSD, divorces, financial ruin and failure to adjust to civilian life are in their future.
Been there, done that.

It may be best some of these guys have just moved on anyway.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel D View Post

the problem is, and something I had to learn the hard way, It's not about the civilians accepting your way of doing things, or what you think is right. It's never going to happen.... It's about you, coming to grips with your former service and adjusting to civilian life. If you continue to look down at the civilians as lesser, you will never reintegrate...and I've got news... we all are civilians now too.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
the problem is, and something I had to learn the hard way, It's not about the civilians accepting your way of doing things, or what you think is right. It's never going to happen.... It's about you, coming to grips with your former service and adjusting to civilian life. If you continue to look down at the civilians as lesser, you will never reintegrate...and I've got news... we all are civilians now too.
Easy there, man. I never said anything about being better than anyone. I just said they don't get the sense of humor that a lot of the guys develop when they are in the field pr in the desert all the time.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was a 19K3X, Armor Drill Sgt for those that don't know what that is. It's not that you look down on civilians, because we all did, when you first came in the military remember how your DI looked at you? You were a pitiful lil civilian,, LOL. I remember those days like yesterday. fact is, your ordinary civilian is no match for a truly hardened soldier. I sent my share of mamas boys right back where they belonged, MAMA.The military isn't for everybody. Yet the reverse is true also, once that transition to hardened soldier is made, it's really hard to go back the other way, it was a real struggle for me like most guys. Sounds like the ones yall are running into are the ones that slipped through the system and probably shouldn't have even made it through basic.