Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Earthlinklandscaping's Avatar
Earthlinklandscaping Earthlinklandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: leominster Ma
Posts: 62
New 12 zone irrigation controller recommendations

Need some recommendations on replacing a 18 plus year old toro 12 zone controller. some of the zones were starting to go when i blew it out in fall.. spring time the owners want it replaced. yes they trust that a 15 year old who has been doing alot of irrigaion repair on the house with the pervius owner know what hes doing
__________________
1995- Exmark metro 48
2010 Sthil br600
2012 Sthil KM-90R


Every thing i own i bought my self
I am 15 years old
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 PM
koster_irrigation koster_irrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,355
Am I having dajavu? I swear there was a thread about this earlier, It must have been deleted.....
__________________
NC Irrigation License 157

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 PM
koster_irrigation koster_irrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,355
If the zones are "starting to go"

You need to be certain a new controller is what you need and that you're not having electrical issues out in the yard, which is very possible if certain zones aren't operating. The controller could be fine.

If you're not sure how to perform this test to check, get in contact with a licensed irrigation contractor in your area, He'll know lots of tricks of the trade to get the problems solved quickly!

I'm not knocking you for being young, I hung my first toro vision II at the ripe age of 14, I'm just concerned for the homeowner not to have their money wasted on needless repairs.
__________________
NC Irrigation License 157

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com

Last edited by koster_irrigation; 02-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlinklandscaping View Post
Need some recommendations on replacing a 18 plus year old toro 12 zone controller. some of the zones were starting to go when i blew it out in fall.. spring time the owners want it replaced. yes they trust that a 15 year old who has been doing alot of irrigaion repair on the house with the pervius owner know what hes doing
What do you mean "starting to go"? What were your resistance, voltage and amperage measurements? What is your line power measurement? Could your programming be messed up? What makes you think that the controller is going south on you?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions before even thinking of a controller replacement. Don't become another repair by replacement irrigator. Whether or not your state requires licensing you owe your client a fair analysis of his controller and field wiring before R&Ring the controller. If you are unable to do so, find someone that can.

Best of luck to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Earthlinklandscaping's Avatar
Earthlinklandscaping Earthlinklandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: leominster Ma
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by koster_irrigation View Post
Am I having dajavu? I swear there was a thread about this earlier, It must have been deleted.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by koster_irrigation View Post
If the zones are "starting to go"

You need to be certain a new controller is what you need and that you're not having electrical issues out in the yard, which is very possible if certain zones aren't operating. The controller could be fine.

If you're not sure how to perform this test to check, get in contact with a licensed irrigation contractor in your area, He'll know lots of tricks of the trade to get the problems solved quickly!

I'm not knocking you for being young, I hung my first toro vision II at the ripe age of 14, I'm just concerned for the homeowner not to have their money wasted on needless repairs.
it was my thread from earlier.. i asked to get my threads delted and forgot to keep that one. the zones are starting to go by the fact the its almost 19 years old and keeps blowing fuses, last time it blew a fuse it blew zone 12 which was a blank zone but dont want it to blow anymore.. if it does ill need a new controller
__________________
1995- Exmark metro 48
2010 Sthil br600
2012 Sthil KM-90R


Every thing i own i bought my self
I am 15 years old
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlinklandscaping View Post
it was my thread from earlier.. i asked to get my threads delted and forgot to keep that one. the zones are starting to go by the fact the its almost 19 years old and keeps blowing fuses, last time it blew a fuse it blew zone 12 which was a blank zone but dont want it to blow anymore.. if it does ill need a new controller
Age alone won't cut it. If you're blowing fuses that suggests a wiring issue. The client deserves a qualified analysis of the controller and field wiring before a replacement. You also need to understand what you are looking at instead of hoping that your problem will be solved by replacing the clock.

While I'm not against a young person working or being self employed ( I applaud your ideals) I am against unqualified persons wasting water. Water is a prescious limited resource that cannot afford to be wasted or misused. Have the owner hire a competent irrigation contractor or troubleshooter and shadow him. Ask as many questions as you can. Remember you're only as good as the company you keep so seek out the best company you can.

Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 AM
CAPT Stream Rotar's Avatar
CAPT Stream Rotar CAPT Stream Rotar is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 5,466
get a multimeter and check the resistance.

blown fuses= field issues like jim said..

you are going to replace that clock and the same issues are going to reoccur.

you tube some videos and make some money brotha....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 AM
koster_irrigation koster_irrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,355
Yep, I'll 3rd that--


Blowing fuses in the controller signals bad wiring in the yard, usually a shorting valve solenoid,

You'll need to get some help on this one,

Replacing the controller, you'll still have shorting issues,

New residential grade controllers don't have fuses, but they sense amp overload situations such as this, You'll get an error message on the screen of the zone with wiring issues.
__________________
NC Irrigation License 157

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,333
I'll support the troubleshooting first to verify field wiring is functioning properly, and simply as a lesson. That said, if the controller is that old IMO it is time for a replacement with a good smart controller, if for no other reason than it is better suited to manage water efficiently with limited user input and knowledge. The SMT would be my choice at the moment for a good residential/light commercial smart controller.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,842
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.09178 seconds with 8 queries