Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Earthlinklandscaping's Avatar
Earthlinklandscaping Earthlinklandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: leominster Ma
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I'll support the troubleshooting first to verify field wiring is functioning properly, and simply as a lesson. That said, if the controller is that old IMO it is time for a replacement with a good smart controller, if for no other reason than it is better suited to manage water efficiently with limited user input and knowledge. The SMT would be my choice at the moment for a good residential/light commercial smart controller.
the fact that its almost 20 year old is a good reason to replace and the customers want an easier one to use! i think the electircal issues are with the timmer itself and not the irrgiuation system wiringing
__________________
1995- Exmark metro 48
2010 Sthil br600
2012 Sthil KM-90R


Every thing i own i bought my self
I am 15 years old
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
irritation's Avatar
irritation irritation is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,542
Yea, I'm sure you're right. Buy a new mower while you're at it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlinklandscaping View Post
the fact that its almost 20 year old is a good reason to replace and the customers want an easier one to use! i think the electircal issues are with the timmer itself and not the irrgiuation system wiringing
A new controller isn't going to fix field issues. Replace it or not, you still need to verify field wiring.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
SoCalLandscapeMgmt SoCalLandscapeMgmt is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,468
Go ahead and replace the unit. When the new controller starts blowing fuses immediately you can either come back here and admit that everybody here was right about your field wiring issues OR you can call an irrigation professional in your area and have him bail you out. And to answer the question from your last thread: Give them the controller at cost and charge them $26 to install it....That should cover everything. Oh, and you should go to Home Depot or Lowes to get the new controller. Make sure that you buy an Orbit controller.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 PM
SoCalLandscapeMgmt SoCalLandscapeMgmt is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,468
Oh and can I order some internet service form you too? I need some super fast dial up. Like 56.6K
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Autoflow's Avatar
Autoflow Autoflow is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlinklandscaping View Post
i think the electircal issues are with the timmer itself and not the irrgiuation system wiringing
That's the problem there. You think the electrical issues are with the timer, but you should know if the electrical issues are with the timer before you say it is the cause of the problems you are having.

If they want to replace the controller it's all good, but don't expect replacing it to fix the other issues you probably have. You could verify other potential issues very quickly once you learn how to use a multi meter.

Good on you for working at your age, but I think you need to pull up the handbrake and let an experienced person troubleshoot the electrical issues while you observe and learn.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM
sps2868 sps2868 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 51
Thinking

Sounds like it would be best for you to have a 'mentor' assist you (on site training). Also wouldn't be a bad thing for you to go to a fully functioning system and spend a day or two learning (playing) what a multi meter can do for you, also a station master, and while at it play with a wire tracker. As a professional your answer should never be 'I Think'....

But from time to time all of us run across really weird stuff and need to ask other professionalls for insite.. Keep playing (practicing) and hopefully you get the irrigation bug (hard) and stick with it. I find it very enjoyable and each day I am tested in a new way..


Last edited by sps2868; 02-04-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Age alone won't cut it. If you're blowing fuses that suggests a wiring issue. The client deserves a qualified analysis of the controller and field wiring before a replacement. You also need to understand what you are looking at instead of hoping that your problem will be solved by replacing the clock.

While I'm not against a young person working or being self employed ( I applaud your ideals) I am against unqualified persons wasting water. Water is a prescious limited resource that cannot afford to be wasted or misused. Have the owner hire a competent irrigation contractor or troubleshooter and shadow him. Ask as many questions as you can. Remember you're only as good as the company you keep so seek out the best company you can.

Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
i agree totally
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 6,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlinklandscaping View Post
the fact that its almost 20 year old is a good reason to replace and the customers want an easier one to use! i think the electircal issues are with the timmer itself and not the irrgiuation system wiringing


If you decide that you are in over your head contact me and I'll try to help you out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,730
a controller with actual glass fuse protection in the output path NEVER blows those fuses due to malfunction of the controller circuitry

replace a controller for no good reason, and you will lose a customer for all time, when they realize the replacement didn't solve system problems
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.08292 seconds with 8 queries