Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Porting a backpack?

I'm getting one of my chainsaws woods ported and muffler modded by mastermind in TN next month after reading about how kick butt saws are ported. Well, it got me to thinking, has anyone had a backpack blower ported? I mean, trimmers really don't need anymore power for just trimming the average lawn, but can you imagine a modded 7500 or 8500 backpack!!!?? I wonder if there would be any real gains or if anyone knows of anyone who has tried it.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it would deff make it gain more rpms some people think more rpms is bad but a two stroke can wind up high and still be dependable.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be tempted to do it if I seen a real need. The only thing is I don't think you could tune the new blower carbs like you could a chainsaw. With a port job and opened up muffler, I would imagine that you would need to richen the mixture, especially that they are already set pretty lean as it is.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a guy named blsnelling that posts in this forum and in the Arborist/logging forum that has youtube video's of some of the BP's he's ported. He does an enormous amount of porting for chainsaws for guys in the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCojXWafUU
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There's a guy named blsnelling that posts in this forum and in the Arborist/logging forum that has youtube video's of some of the BP's he's ported. He does an enormous amount of porting for chainsaws for guys in the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCojXWafUU
Yeah I know I have seen him. I seen his eb802 shinny. If I ever get a 261 m-tronic I want to send it his way.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe if you search all his vids, there's one or two showing that saw before and after porting.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brad Snelling and Mastermind are both pretty highly regarded on the chainsaw forums.
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Power wise it could def see a gain, but I think the compressor housing would determine how much volume you could flow. After a certain rpm, I think the compressor would become less efficient and actually lower volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
Power wise it could def see a gain, but I think the compressor housing would determine how much volume you could flow. After a certain rpm, I think the compressor would become less efficient and actually lower volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you ran a bigger tip you might gain more volume... I know when you take the tip off a blower it drop in RPMs
because it is trying to push more air so if you had more power to keep the RPMs up you would gain volume with a bigger tip..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember that noise also goes up. A loud blower might be the start of a movement to ban blowers in your municipality. I know too many people that have punched out mufflers on 2 cycle equipment. They are just screwing the pooch for everyone. A blower ban has come before the legislature every year for the past 5 years in my state. Thank God it has never passed.

I am thinking about rolling my own equivalent to the Tornado tip sold for the Maruyama BL85 for my Makita. This device adds CFM to the output from the blow pipe by drawing in air. No increase in engine speed to achieve the increased output.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738