Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Clipitc vs service auto pilot

Alright guys. I have talked with multiple members regarding these two programs and also sent emails to each company with informative replies.

I like both of these programs. Based on the informational videos each has its pros and cons for me.

I'm a smaller company that runs one 2-3 man mowing crew that has close to a full schedule. I take care of the lawn applications. We are growing and have reached a crossroads to either expand to multiple crews or adjust customers based in location and profitability.

Hope each of you can give me and others some insight in both programs.

Clip
-I like the flat fees and they have rolled out some recent updates. It seems easy to use. Very possible I may try the free basic membership to try it out, but would upgrade soon as I would be over the 100 customer limit
- printed route sheets is what I do now and daily schedule doesn't change much. Can always call the crew leader to make a change
- did I see an English to Spanish translator in a video... Great for a guy with broken English

Service auto pilot
- love the real time updates and the ability to clock in/out of jobs while keeping that info to figure profitability. Tracking employees a big upside
-fees for add ons concerns me
-very detailed program and seems directed at an in office owner/manager. I'm in the field so would use mobile version most.
- would have to equip crews with iPads or iPhones. The equals more cost and added data charges.

What am I missing? Would love to hear more about each software. Don't think there is a wrong move here.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just went threw Clipitc and really liked it, I have not done SAP yet.
I liked the pattern customers jobs and programs it was easy to do i just watched the videos. I had to set up a fake CO in QB in order to create jobs. The down falls for me are you can not print out a invoice to leave in a customers door I do not email all my invoices. And there no place to do a quotes. Dave2 on here even talked to me about there program every one was nice and helped a lot. I could not add a new customer on my cell phone but every thing else worked that I tried. when you get to a job you go to daily and go to get work mobile and hit start and when your finished you hit done and that your finished with the job it tracks your time. theirs lots of thing there you need to give it a try. even keeps track of travel time
Old 12-16-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I liked the pattern customers jobs and programs it was easy to do i just watched the videos. I had to set up a fake CO in QB in order to create jobs. The down falls for me are you can not print out a invoice to leave in a customers door I do not email all my invoices. And there no place to do a quotes. Dave2 on here even talked to me about there program every one was nice and helped a lot. I could not add a new customer on my cell phone but every thing else worked that I tried. when you get to a job you go to daily and go to get work mobile and hit start and when your finished you hit done and that your finished with the job it tracks your time. theirs lots of thing there you need to give it a try. even keeps track of travel time
Thanks Charles. This is the stuff I'm hoping to gather. I'm probably gonna try clips free version as a trail but will quickly have to update for more customers. I just want to gather as much info as possible before I spend the time setting up and importing data.

Clip won't let you print invoices in the field? Maybe they are working on that. I'm using quickbooks now for invoicing to that's not a big deal, however as I grow I may wich to print invoices in the field for app customers. Maybe use quickbooks online or an invoice/accounting system integrated into the software?

If I'm understanding you correctly clip can keep track of job times as well? I'm assuming you need to set up a crew leader with a user ID and password? That's one thing I like about service auto pilot....you can see where your crew is on the route since it's all mobile.

Getting my crew a set schedule is the toughest thing I do now. I haven't got it figured out after 2 years with a crew. This year I'm hoping to generate a crew rate In Order to reach a daily gross. Then give them enough mow jobs to equal that gross. Maybe pay the crew leader a monthly bonus for quality work under the timed goal? Say $60/hr/crew times 8 hrs = $480/day. $40 avg lawn so 12 yards per day per 8 hrs. For easy math.

Last edited by grassmasterswilson; 12-16-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Charles, Thanks for the kind words!!
We are doing a lot of work on CLIPitc currently. He is right that you can't print invoices in the field. We are adding a spot to print invoices (this month/next month) so that Customers can use CLIPitc without QuickBooks. Currently we are expecting people to print invoices in QuickBooks.

We JUST (last week) released a mobile app to the Android and Iphone app stores (search for CLIPitc). It is very easy to use (intended for your crews), and helps your crew leaders track time in the field. We Definitely recommend tracking times (through CLIP) and doing job costing/employee efficiency tracking!!

We are planning on adding an advanced lead tracking section to our program this Spring.
CLIP Lawn Care
Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks Charles. This is the stuff I'm hoping to gather. I'm probably gonna try clips free version as a trail but will quickly have to update for more customers. I just want to gather as much info as possible before I spend the time setting up and importing data.

Clip won't let you print invoices in the field? Maybe they are working on that. I'm using quickbooks now for invoicing to that's not a big deal, however as I grow I may wich to print invoices in the field for app customers. Maybe use quickbooks online or an invoice/accounting system integrated into the software?

If I'm understanding you correctly clip can keep track of job times as well? I'm assuming you need to set up a crew leader with a user ID and password? That's one thing I like about service auto pilot....you can see where your crew is on the route since it's all mobile.

Getting my crew a set schedule is the toughest thing I do now. I haven't got it figured out after 2 years with a crew. This year I'm hoping to generate a crew rate In Order to reach a daily gross. Then give them enough mow jobs to equal that gross. Maybe pay the crew leader a monthly bonus for quality work under the timed goal? Say $60/hr/crew times 8 hrs = $480/day. $40 avg lawn so 12 yards per day per 8 hrs. For easy math.
Just FYI piecework is super helpful. I worked under a piecework system (about 7-8 years ago), I would get paid based on how many production hours I had done. As a crew leader I really liked it because it helped motivate me, and I was able to look at CLIP2go (mobile tracking for our Desktop product) and see what my goals were for each job!!

Once I ended up working with another employee that was terribly slow, he didn't fit in, or make enough money, so he didn't last long!!

If you want to know more let me know. We are just finishing the final draft on a book that tells you how to implement piecework. If you want a copy to read this winter let me know. We also have a lot of webinars and other free information about it on our website.

Checkout this one, it will help you understand how we do it.
http://clip.com/webinars/manhour.html

If you want more Business practices information etc. checkout our past recorded webinars:
http://clip.com/webinars.html

Private Message me if you want a draft of the book about paying piecework that we're working on.

I have talked to several companies that have become more successful by implementing a piecework pay system, or production based bonus system.
CLIP Lawn Care
Old 12-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Sponsor

We have been tracking times in CLIP for over 20 years now. We know it is the key to big profits for the LM operator. Our own company and a good number of our customer's companies post between 20 and 40% profit after owner's salary and lot of this has to do with tracking the times. We call it Job Costing. See our webinars on it. www.clip.com
See how to make 30% profit in your Lawn Company, check out:
www.clip.com/profit.asp
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have looked at several of these in the clould programs and the more I look I have come to realize that they are set up to be used buy CO's that do every thing and only bill once a month. To me the reason to get one is to keep track of every thing. But the mobile apps are just mostly for crew members and not for mangers or some one that does estimates. For the most part you still have to have pencil and paper and go back to the office to put the info in. No way to print on the job I could see it now go out and give a lawn treatment estimate and tell the customer to go check there email I just sent it to you. LOL
Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just because your not in an office does not mean you are using or have to use the mobile app.
Really with a tablet or smart phone and SAP you can log on the main site ,not the mobile. Do an estimate onsite and print it or email it. You can use a blue tooth printer in the service vehicle or estimate vehicle.
You can use a laptop and printer plugged into it as an option also.
I do estimate and invoices all the time without pencil or paper.
Concerns with data use are also not an issue. We use multiple devices on a data sharing plan and rarely go over 1gb.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Just because your not in an office does not mean you are using or have to use the mobile app.
Really with a tablet or smart phone and SAP you can log on the main site ,not the mobile. Do an estimate onsite and print it or email it. You can use a blue tooth printer in the service vehicle or estimate vehicle.
You can use a laptop and printer plugged into it as an option also.
I do estimate and invoices all the time without pencil or paper.
Concerns with data use are also not an issue. We use multiple devices on a data sharing plan and rarely go over 1gb.
Thanks for the info I just started trying jobber to day (again) but there mobile app doesn't work on my phone. My next stop is SAP one at a time
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't go any where near SAP from what I have seen, heard and witnessed.

With that being said, there are down sides to all programs.

You can't buy an audi expecting a jeep with the mindset "well AWD is SIMILAR to 4wd'

We use CLIPXE and they have options to track in the field similar to SAP.
Fromt he people I have seen use SAP, the live in the field tracking isn't used or doesn't work like it's meant to.

They keep people hanging on with promised updates and good ideas that don't come to fruition and everyone I know using it, shells out hefty sums a month, yet for some reason can't do X or Y because they don't have access to everything according to their billing rate…. really? $240 a month and you can't get access to it all?

No thanks.