Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Taking customers back?

How many of you take customers back under your wing? I've heard many guys here say keep things on good terms with the customer when you part ways. I've been in the air about this lately, and just today the scenario rose. I went to mow a customers lawn at the first of this year and noticed it was already mowed. I thought to myself it was strange. Text her, called her, no response. Go back the next scheduled date, mowed again. I'm like alright, forget it. I remove her from the schedule and send her another text. I get a response saying, "We found someone to do it cheaper." Long story short, she calls me today, "the new person isn't showing up." I wanted to say so bad, you think? She asked if she could get back on the schedule. Would you have taken her back? I'm not desperate for work. I'm actually having a hard time keeping up. I told her, sorry, I done filled your spot. Anyone have any customers do this? I figure if she betrayed me once, she'll do it again, next time another flyer comes around that's cheaper then my services.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have not taken her back. If you are not desperate for work then you don't need clients like that. I would of told her yes I can come back but the price changed and charge her $5 more or something along those lines
Redmax BCZ2650S
Husqvarna edger
Husqvarna chainsaw
Old 03-26-2015, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heck no - not the way she handled it. That was low.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Pathetic that she couldn't even have the decency to let you know ahead of time and wasted your time not once but twice going out there. To top it off she couldn't even answer your attempts to contact her. I'd tell her to kick rocks.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Never take clients back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Excuse me Ma'am but if you would have been aware of Chapter 17, Section 3, Byline 18 of our company policy, any client who cancels service without notification can indeed get back on the schedule. The administrative, clerical, and processing fees for reinstatement onto the schedule will be $50.00 added on to the normal contracted price per visit for the remainder of the season.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

you know… if you've been doing this work long enough… and you lose a customer… most of the old crusty guys just smile and say "they'll be back"

and they often are.

This is especially true of commercial customers.
When I was with TruGreen and Brickman, it seems like we traded customers around all the time.

I've had a burger king customer (several franchise locations, centered out of Washington State) that I have been dealing with for YEARS. Which is funny, because I haven't been representing the same company while dealing with the the whole time (three different companies actually) but they have been my customer nearly the whole time (I think I didn't deal with them for about 6 months in the last 7 years)
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Depending if was in the route and the price

I lost my biggest lawn for a month Good outcome of that is Most time they will sign about anything ,signed a 3 yr contract

They looking for cheapest bid and they found it with a First year company had no clue what they was bidding

tried mow it with 2 60'' and bad thing I filled there spot and then they was calling me take it over again it was a shock to my load that year.

I been in this long time and 2 60'' on this lawn wasn't I would try. It can be done but not in the time frame of the contract That had to be done in 1 day.

But most time only takes one time and if doesn't work . They want to come back most of time they wont leave you again.

But nothing for ever
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Depending if was in the route and the price

I lost my biggest lawn for a month Good outcome of that is Most time they will sign about anything ,signed a 3 yr contract

They looking for cheapest bid and they found it with a First year company had no clue what they was bidding

tried mow it with 2 60'' and bad thing I filled there spot and then they was calling me take it over again it was a shock to my load that year.

I been in this long time and 2 60'' on this lawn wasn't I would try. It can be done but not in the time frame of the contract That had to be done in 1 day.

But most time only takes one time and if doesn't work . They want to come back most of time they wont leave you again.

But nothing for ever

The house isn't far out of the current route and the property doesn't take long to mow. However, I think I'm determined to have her kick rocks after sleeping on it. This customer never brought me any side work, no fertilization, no mulch, never want their trees trimmed, and worse of all they do more "bothering" than the average customer. Worse of all, their bi-weekly although I charged them for it. I have calls coming in like crazy, many for weekly service this year, I just don't feel it's worth it anymore to service the property. The property isn't graded properly when it rains it messes up my route because I have to push their property back further and service it at an inconvenient time do to it being to wet, while I mow everything around it. None the less, they were never late on a payment, but who knows, I may be mowing, while their in there on the phone again price shopping. Kind of made me feel betrayed because I did a lot of hard work to keep their yard looking nice.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're the professional, she isn't. So remember that when dealing with her. If you seriously don't need the work then just let her know at this time your routes are full. I wouldn't burn any bridges but there are a lot of people out there who feel like LCOs are just an afterthought.