Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Do I sell the business?

Good Evening,

Looking for some advice here regarding a particular situation I am in.

I have had my LLC for 10 years and currently have 75 accounts. Most of the 75 accounts I have had for multiple years and have a friendship with many of them.

I just graduated nursing school this May and have applied for nursing positions not really caring if I was offered a position or not because I will still mow lawns until I found something.

Last week, I received a call from the hospital I was hoping to work at someday and they wanted to interview me. I went to the interview and later that same day I was offered a position as a float nurse in the ICU.

I have yet to officially accept the position. Orientation starts this July and would last until end of October (end of mowing season)

My question: Nursing will be full time at least until end of October and I also need time to study for boards. Do I sell the accounts? (if so for how much) or do I try to sub-contract them out or do I try to find someone to run it? ( I have contacted anyone I would trust and so far I haven't had any luck). My thoughts on sub-contracting is that if the customer has an issue, it will still come back on me and I will not have time to deal with that.

Any opinions and/or insight is greatly appreciated!

14X7 Haulin' Enclosed Trailer

2007 Exmark Lazer Z 60" 25hp

2012 Exmark LaZer Z S-Series 60" 27Kohler

Stihl Kombi Whip/edger

(2)Stihl FX100 Whip

Stihl 380 Back Pack

Stihl BR600 Back Pack
Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I sell the business?

If you like mowing lawns why not stay with it. You should be able to make more money doing lawn cutting than nursing.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Which one pays more money with less hours? Which one could potentially pay a whole lot more than the other over time? Which would you enjoy more?

I know a lot of people who are nurses and most of them had to start out working long hours on the late night shifts in the psych ward or other undesirable areas. They had to drive over a hour to hospitals in other cities as well.

If you could manage to work both, that's a whole lot of extra money.

If it was me, I'd want to start after mowing season so I could get a feel for the nursing work. If I liked it and it was good pay and a stable job, I'd think about selling my lawn business. If I didn't like it, I'd have the lawn business to go back to. Come the next October, I'd look at other nursing positions and do the same over again.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could keep a few if you still wanted to mow say on the weekends but that is a whole other set of challenges.

As others said which pays more with less hours? There is always an option of teaching a person to run a lot of the business and you are the guy in the office doing paperwork. Not in the field or doing estimates. Just overseeing the mangers work and making sure your employees are doing good work and he is managing them properly.

Should only need 2 - 3 guys for a schedule of 75 a week. But at that point how much would you get after paying mangers salary and employees?

Best of luck to you! I know male nurses are in high demand and can make really good money. Personally I would go with what you enjoy doing more. I would rather make less money at a job i like than make more at a job i hate.

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Old 05-18-2015, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of the above advice is good particularly mwalz last paragraph. I was a teaching tennis pro for 35 years. Like landscaping it is much easier to do in your 20's than your 50's. Keep that in mind. Nursing is a profession you can do for a long time with a lot of different directions you can go. You obviously like what u r doing now or it wouldn't be a tough decision. Good luck in whatever YOU decide. It's your life.