Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2015, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For all the Thumbtack skeptics

Not a huge fan of these sites but I have been fairly successful with Thumbtack.

This year, my 2nd, I have sent 4 bids. Total spent $13.32.

I have only heard back from 1. Just signed an agreement (first one ever as my basic service is pay as you go and I added new packages for this year) for 2015 for $1350 for maintenance, credit card on file, and "prepay", 1st of every month. I am pretty protected. At no point in time am I behind (aka floating money).

Pretty good for $13.32 rip off site...

And...never even met the customer. Welcome to 2015.

And, yeah a tiny lawn.

Now if I could do that
Old 03-23-2015, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats. Ive got a few good customers from Thumbtack. Its certainly a cheap way for me to get customers....definitely under $15 for a new customer.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowDayton View Post
Congrats. Ive got a few good customers from Thumbtack. Its certainly a cheap way for me to get customers....definitely under $15 for a new customer.
Thanks...I realized I didnt finish my last sentence....ADD.

ANyway, if I could do that 100 times, I'd be happy.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still think it's a rip off.

I paid for credits and sent in bids last year a few times. I always responded immediately but never got the job. Wound up giving up on it.

This year I was given free credits and of course the first one I used I was told I won the bid, but I never heard back from the customer.

I get enough calls from people finding my site through search and I just find it hard to believe that many people are going through thumbtack to find a lawn guy when they could simply call or email directly to the company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
I still think it's a rip off.

I paid for credits and sent in bids last year a few times. I always responded immediately but never got the job. Wound up giving up on it.

This year I was given free credits and of course the first one I used I was told I won the bid, but I never heard back from the customer.

I get enough calls from people finding my site through search and I just find it hard to believe that many people are going through thumbtack to find a lawn guy when they could simply call or email directly to the company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, lets see they are number one google result all around my city. Its free for the customer. Maybe your quotes or messages stink. If I send out 5 bids I only hear back from 1. Thats not bad at all.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Well, lets see they are number one google result all around my city. Its free for the customer. Maybe your quotes or messages stink. If I send out 5 bids I only hear back from 1. Thats not bad at all.
Yes they are number one, followed by google maps listings and search results where you have the companies email and number to get a direct quote without going through thumbtack.

Plus the requests for bids doesn't give you nearly enough information to give a price. Just got one this morning, all it tells you is some guy wants shrubs and a tree planted. Doesn't say how many or what type, and I'm supposed to respond with a price.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes they are number one, followed by google maps listings and search results where you have the companies email and number to get a direct quote without going through thumbtack.

Plus the requests for bids doesn't give you nearly enough information to give a price. Just got one this morning, all it tells you is some guy wants shrubs and a tree planted. Doesn't say how many or what type, and I'm supposed to respond with a price.
I feel the same way.

I view thumbtack as a place for price shoppers to go. When I was starting out, I sent numerous quotes and never got a job from it. Eventually, I have up after I found it to be a giant waste of time and not productive at all.

Then when I changed my business around, I needed to know the smaller details so I can get a more accurate price. Details are something thumbtack has a hard time with. I even sent in a few bids saying "not enough information" hoping to help out thumbtack, but instead, all I got was more emails about customers looking for work that I didn't provide.

But, like anything else, what works for us may not work for the next guy.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing that makes me very skeptical is that I know in my area most of the companies at the top of the search results are the bigger companies. I'm sure these guys are not chasing customers on thumbtack so there should be very little competition getting jobs on there, especially if you're seen not only on thumbtack but on page one of the search results. But like I said I've had zero success with it and my listing and site come up on page one for lawn care/service searches.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Another thing that makes me very skeptical is that I know in my area most of the companies at the top of the search results are the bigger companies. I'm sure these guys are not chasing customers on thumbtack so there should be very little competition getting jobs on there, especially if you're seen not only on thumbtack but on page one of the search results. But like I said I've had zero success with it and my listing and site come up on page one for lawn care/service searches.
Ithink there is a ton of competition on there because it's not big companies. Its joe blow and a lawn mower and a few small companies. You def cant send the "need more info" response. The best way is send a CHEAP price and message them that you need to see the property first or get an address to give a quote. I educate them in my first message. I tell them why to choose me, I tell them why I need more info. I tell them if anyone quotes you without seeing it, beware. I tell them to check out my website. This filters that crap and gets me the good customers. I will make thousands off the customers I got last year off it in 2015. They are in my prime neighborhoods.

If you just send a price and say call me to discuss further and then they see my quote selling my business to them, who will they call?

Are there people, "just curious", of course. They call you too, They email you too.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Ithink there is a ton of competition on there because it's not big companies. Its joe blow and a lawn mower and a few small companies. You def cant send the "need more info" response. The best way is send a CHEAP price and message them that you need to see the property first or get an address to give a quote. I educate them in my first message. I tell them why to choose me, I tell them why I need more info. I tell them if anyone quotes you without seeing it, beware. I tell them to check out my website. This filters that crap and gets me the good customers. I will make thousands off the customers I got last year off it in 2015. They are in my prime neighborhoods.

If you just send a price and say call me to discuss further and then they see my quote selling my business to them, who will they call?

Are there people, "just curious", of course. They call you too, They email you too.
Well I'm eating my words this morning. I had some free credits so I sent in a estimate on the shrub planting request that I got, lo and behold the guy just left me a voicemail wanting me to come take a look. Lol.