The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Mileage deduction tracking

How do you keep track of your vehicle mileage, do you just record the starting and ending mileage everyday? Or do you put each address you visit and the mileage to each stop?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guy told me you have to record each stop amd how many miles pretty much exact. You can get back 50 cents a mile or something like that

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
2006 Huslter 36" Trimstar
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2004 Chevy 2500HD
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
Stihl BR550
Stihl 56 CE Hedge trimmers
Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In my log book I "number" each job (1 through "whatever") every day (or any work related stop such as dropping off mower at shop) and in the margin I write the the mileage at each stop with the corresponding number after it and an "H" for "Home" as my beginning and ending entry.
I note the total work miles for the day each day so that it's easy to just go back and add them all up and subtract from the total miles put on the truck over the year (note starting mileage and ending mileage) to determine the total work miles.

67,234 - H
67,237 - 1
67,241 - 2
67,243 - 3
67,246 - 4
67,247 - 5
67,252 - H

18 miles

Each day of the week is done this way.
Right, wrong? I dunno, but that's how I do it.

It's pretty easy once you get in the habit of doing it.
As soon as I stop I start noting things - "Job", mileage, arrival time, whatever.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do pretty similar to Oak Nuts. I have an excel spreadsheet with the following columns:
Date, start time, stop time, start mileage, end mileage, Calculated mileage, customer name, service accomplished.

The excel spreadsheet keeps a running count and calculates the mileage. I just type in the data, and the formulas take care of the rest.

And yes, I keep track of mileage for every stop. Helps me crunch different types of numbers when I start analyzing data over the winter.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I just take beginning mileage on January 1, then ending on Dec. 31, then multiply by the mileage rate. Simple as that. It's worth it to own 2 vehicles, so you have one that is personal use, and another exclusively for business use.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
I do pretty similar to Oak Nuts. I have an excel spreadsheet with the following columns:
Date, start time, stop time, start mileage, end mileage, Calculated mileage, customer name, service accomplished.

The excel spreadsheet keeps a running count and calculates the mileage. I just type in the data, and the formulas take care of the rest.

And yes, I keep track of mileage for every stop. Helps me crunch different types of numbers when I start analyzing data over the winter.
Do you enter all of that on a laptop (or phone) in your truck?

I thought I would do that, but it's faster for me to hand write things.
It certainly will take me longer in the end when totaling things manually though.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I was looking into keeping accurate records for this over this past winter. I read an article that was written by a CPA. He was saying that the IRS really cracks down on mileage because the numbers are made up by most small businesses.

The CPA explained in the article that it must be apparent that you are keeping "daily" records and not a log that was filled in at the end of the year. He said the more detail the better.

I made a chart on excel to include columns for the Date, Purpose, From address, To address, Starting mileage, Ending mileage, Total mileage.

I hated it at first, putting all the address in, I have now gotten it down as part of my routine and just scribble it in real quick. Might be over kill after all on the addresses but I don't want to leave anything to chance. I would rather have to much info than not enough.

He was saying to make sure the mileage is correct to the tenth of a mile. My trucks odometer doesn't do tenths so I don't worry about that.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

It certainly will take me longer in the end when totaling things manually though.
I have an expense ledger book. Every day I am done I write the date and the miles for that day. Then in the next column on the same line I keep a running total so there is no problem totaling the year end mileage for that is kept current every time a days mileage is entered.

I think the deduction is $.57 a mile.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

We just keep calendars books in all our trucks and keep track of our mileage by the week (Monday-Saturday). Then during the winter it all gets put in QB so it's all ready for tax season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

No I do the same as you. I took the excel spreadsheet, and added the lines and rows, so now the 'template" page is a blank version before I type the data in. The columns go across the top of the spreadsheet, and the rows all have "lines" so I can print many pages worth of the template and store it in a binder. Each stop is a line that is handwritten. I try to sit down every few days (gotta find time sometimes) and then put the data into the spreadsheet . I used to put all the expenses in there too, but decided that wasn't worth the effort when I started using quickbooks.

I wish quickbooks ( I use the online version) would include a way to do scheduling of customers and allow me to put mileage in also. Then I could do away with the spreadsheet completely, and have access via my phone to everything I need.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower