Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GPS for monitoring trucks

I'm not the kinda guy who spends all day in the office. I work the field. However, I have two crews running and am not always satisfied with their time.

I just took one of my main guys routes away by absorbing them into mine and running a three man crew because he took all day to do a really short route. I planned on them mowing those yards and doing some other projects and they never got to the other projects. I still had to come save them by mowing one yard for them.

I need a way to monitor what they are doing. Otherwise I can't justify sending guys out on their own anymore.

What are my options for putting monitoring devices on the trucks? Especially if I only have an iphone or a tablet to view it on.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can get a non real time unit and install it in the trucks...they are inexpensive an they can be downloaded at th end of the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by non real time unit? I'm completely new to this. I've tried looking it up on the internet to no avail. What do I need to look for? Or who do I need to talk to about this? Maybe an audio visual company here in town? I just need something to justify those "talks" I have to have with guys when I know they've been messing around all day. Or at least a scare tactic to get them to quit it. I'm never gonna get the honesty I want when they no I have no way of proving it.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After some of my own research I think the itrail is the answer. It's non real time and only 1.5". It costs $189 and does all I need it to. Here's the link for anyone else interested. http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...-tracking.html
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffWork View Post
After some of my own research I think the itrail is the answer. It's non real time and only 1.5". It costs $189 and does all I need it to. Here's the link for anyone else interested. http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ca...-tracking.html
Two methods, one is real time via cellular and the other is down loaded at the end of the day manually on if they park near a reader. Prices are getting better. Lot of options. The least expensive is the non-real time.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffWork View Post
You got it! It's a simple device...small and able to be hidden in vehicle. You can choose to let them know it's installed or you can keep it a secret. Some of the devices download when you get back to shop via wifi...pretty cool feature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use go track http://www.gotrackinc.com/ I have it on 3 trucks works great and the employee's know they are there. I review it daily and if I find problems it is discussed at the weekly monday meeting. More severe problems are discussed the day of the problem. Works great and has solved alot of problems and the crews actually like it. I say this because it provides discipline and they have to think about the best way to do things otherwise they will hear about it. No one likes to hear they disapointed the boss or let down other teammembers
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The go track looks like a good device, however, I don't think I want to pay any sort of service fee. We are IMO still a pretty new company and I don't want to incur any more costs than we already have for now. I think a non real time unit is the way to go. If things go smoothly I don't really have to check it. If they don't I can check it and know why without having to hear the excuses from the employees.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My interest in GPS has to do with time management but I am looking at giving the guys a user interface, IE a Garmin. The truck mounted unit will track, the Garmin gives routes. I can push simple messages to them.

It will work with routing / scheduling software. The scheduling software will work with Quickbooks. Once they hit the site a Geo Fence logs the time in and out for the crew showing the service complete.

The GPS and routing alone will likely pay for itself with Gas and time in traffic in one month. Then I can get a Fleet Gas Card to use just for the trucks to monitor mileage. I can also get a card just for the equipment and apply for the tax rebates.

I will have all my mileage logs for the IRS too.

It is a costly initial investment but it should pay off in the long run. I am thinking the software is $2300 cash or 2800 in 4 payements plus quickbooks. I think the truck monitoring is 50 to 60 per month. The Garmins is $150 each truck.

I just get it stuck in my head that 2 guys stuck in traffic is costing for 15 mins a day is costing me around $300 to $400 per month plus.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use Verizon Field Force Manager. Each truck has a phone, and its tied into the phone for an additional $15 per month. The phones only cost $10 per month, and have unlimited minutes to call my phone or each other.

I have the $25 version of field force manager, which also has a timeclock. You only need one phone per truck, not per employee. Everyone can use the phones to clock in and out. Has been really nice, and gives close to realtime GPS tracking, with the ability to bring up a map with all the stops with datestamps.