Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Employee sick days venting

sorry guys but just venting to fellow owners who feel my pain.

Only run a 2 man crew in the fall/winter and got a guy who calls in sick every few weeks. Always seem to be up all night throwing up or something. Just messes up my whole schedule.

Already had the talk about needing him to be here at work and on time. I know I can't help it people ar sick but it is really getting on my nerves.

Makes me almost want to go solo!!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does he have insurance? I've got 2 full time and 1 part time. This week I've got one guy off hunting, my other guy called in sick with the flu and the part time guy can only work after 12 because of his classes. Luckily it's 13 outside right now with about 3" of snow. We've still got several cleanups to finish or else it would really suck this week.

I've been there in the past. It does suck. It's one thing if you know ahead of time so you can adjust routes or whatever, but when you get a call 30 minutes before work.... ya that sucks.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad. My co is out of Massachusetts . They just passed a law that we now must give 1 hr of paid sick time for every 30 hrs worked.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Does he have insurance? I've got 2 full time and 1 part time. This week I've got one guy off hunting, my other guy called in sick with the flu and the part time guy can only work after 12 because of his classes. Luckily it's 13 outside right now with about 3" of snow. We've still got several cleanups to finish or else it would really suck this week.

I've been there in the past. It does suck. It's one thing if you know ahead of time so you can adjust routes or whatever, but when you get a call 30 minutes before work.... ya that sucks.
No insurance and apparently no cell phone. Told them to meet at shop at 7:30 and his girlfriend called at 7:10 and said he'd been up all night.

It looked like rain yesterday and I told my other guy to stay home. I couldn't get in touch with the sick guy.

He was ok during the summer but thinking he might not like the cold since all the sick time is coming now. It just gets aggravating at some point and I have an old emplouee looking to come back just don't have the winter work for three.

Has got me really considering working up a handbook detailing what I expect.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even if he doesn't have insurance, if he's truly sick he could still go to one of those "express clinics" cheaply. Most of them can fill prescriptions on-site. Unless he does just have like a stomach bug or something. I've been fighting of a sinus infection for a couple of weeks now. My sinuses are horrible.

Ya, cold weather brings out the worse in some guys. Insulated Carhartt overalls go a long way....

@Al - is that regardless of employee size?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Even if he doesn't have insurance, if he's truly sick he could still go to one of those "express clinics" cheaply. Most of them can fill prescriptions on-site. Unless he does just have like a stomach bug or something. I've been fighting of a sinus infection for a couple of weeks now. My sinuses are horrible.

Ya, cold weather brings out the worse in some guys. Insulated Carhartt overalls go a long way....

Yes , any employees.

BTW , those walk in clinics will ,usually give you free antibiotics that they get from pharm co's . If your boogers look like contact cement you do have a sinu infection.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eh, my boogers have been like liquid nail.... Just so you can get a mental picture!

WV hasn't got that bad on employees, thankfully. I've always gave vacation time for full time employees, but not sick leave. I guess one wouldn't be much different than the other. The thing is my guys don't usually use their time until this time of year anyway, for hunting season.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

The new sick leave law in Massachusetts applies to companies with 11 or more employees.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 11-18-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
The new sick leave law in Massachusetts applies to companies with 11 or more employees.
Interesting , I thought it was everyone.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Interesting , I thought it was everyone.
Employees of smaller companies can take sick days, but they get no pay. They can't be forced to work extraordinary hours to make it up. Which I think is not a change from the past, but I am not sure.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax