Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

customer threats?

Today I had a customer threaten to leave a poor review on a popular marketing site that we were connected through, if I didn't mow her lawn for free. Has anyone else ever ran into this type of bs? How would you handle it? I have the threats captured on a text, but that does me no real good. Thanks.

Justen@simplylawnsandlandscapes.com
Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More details?

Definitely keep the texts and if possible only comuinicate by email from now on for he same reason. if she does, contact the site and forwrd the emails to them and they will likely delete the review. If they don't, they lose a customer.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd contact the police. It is a threat that if followed though on could be detrimental to your company. She is obviously a whack job and probably should be confronted by the authorities. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I'd contact the police. It is a threat that if followed though on could be detrimental to your company. She is obviously a whack job and probably should be confronted by the authorities. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
Probably not an issue for the police. They have more important things to do and that won't get you anywhere..
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the problem with social media. Consumers can be assh*les, and social media has empowered them to extort business owners into giving them what they want no matter how unreasonable it is.

How many times does she want it mowed for free? What's the whole story? Is this a customer you've had, and she's just trying to hustle a free mow out of you? Or is she just some person that hit you up and wants you to mow her lawn for free from here on out and is using threats of yelp reviews or whatever it is to get what she wants?

Either way, it's extortion and it's a felony.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefj View Post
Today I had a customer threaten to leave a poor review on a popular marketing site that we were connected through, if I didn't mow her lawn for free. Has anyone else ever ran into this type of bs? How would you handle it? I have the threats captured on a text, but that does me no real good. Thanks.

Thats called extortion . Tell her to go ahead and try it . (not in writing ) if and when she does get an attorney and let the attorney go after her for a % .
Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Thats called extortion . Tell her to go ahead and try it . (not in writing ) if and when she does get an attorney and let the attorney go after her for a % .
I wouldn't tell her to do it. I'd like to hear the entire story before offering up any advice on how to handle it.

But either way, yes it is "theft by extortion", and under Georgia law it's punishable by imprisonment for no less than one year, no more than ten. Your customer is obviously effing crazy, and has no idea how serious what she's threatening to do actually is.

Here ya go:
http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-8/article-1/16-8-16
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Probably not an issue for the police. They have more important things to do and that won't get you anywhere..
Really? Someone is committing a felony, and they have something more important to deal with? Why have laws, why have police, if they're too busy to enforce them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Really? Someone is committing a felony, and they have something more important to deal with? Why have laws, why have police, if they're too busy to enforce them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Most cops would rather write traffic citations or chase down seat belt violations rather than enforce real laws.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's extortion and a felony. If there's a case that can be prosecuted, the law will be obliged to get involved. I would give that lady one head's up that she's playing with fire and let the police handle it after that. Good luck.