Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dropping Late Payers...

How long does it take you to drop late payers? It seems like a year in thing and is my pet peeve that frustrates me the most. I have a gang full of customers that pay me when they feel like it. They pay, but it's on their time. If they wake up in a good mood, they pay. If their on the wrong side of the bed, they wait. I'm fed up with it after too long, seeing these same people pulling up with brand new cars, brand new pits in the back yard, yet they ask me to send the bill a few days earlier so they can collect the funds. Then there's the one that sends me the $80.00 check today for a $160. invoice.

Any of you get fed up enough to start dropping the ball? I feel I sweat my arse off on these peoples yard doing the work on front, then they feel they can pay me as they wish, how much they wish, and when they wish. I'm to the point to where it's time to draw the line. Have one next week that will be getting skipped and they are in for a rude surprise. Probably going to be in shell shock when I mow the neighbors and skip theirs.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it gets to 60 days after the invoice, they get dropped with notices at 30 days and 45 days. Too much work to do to worry about people paying on time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
If it gets to 60 days after the invoice, they get dropped with notices at 30 days and 45 days. Too much work to do to worry about people paying on time.
Posted via Mobile Device

The way I feel about it is there's too many good customers out there to worry about someone who can't pay on time. They drew the line with me this month, I feel I been being a good ol' country boy for too long, now it feels like they are trying to take advantage of me. From now on, if I won't have the payment within 14 days, service is suspended, simple as that.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before dropping any customer, I always try to keep them.

Try to change a bad customer to a good customer. If they won't change, dump them.

So for your example, have them prepay. Or keep a card on file. If they don't want to, dump them.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly this works for me 9 out of 10 times : I bill at the end of the month. I'll cut 2 more times max then stop showing up if I haven't received payment after 2 weeks. Almost every time they get the hint : and call me with an apology or excuse for the late payment & asking if I can mow this week and that they'll have my check for me when I show up. By doing this I've almost never had to "ask" for my $$ when its late.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can raise the price, then offer a discount if paid in 10 days, or whenever you choose. A $35 lawn becomes a $ 40 lawn or $35 if paid in 10 days. All they can say is no, then you drop them.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We call and say are you receiving our invoices? We say well your current balance is X and our invoices and our pricing is based on due on receipt, we don't offer 30 day terms so can you please drop a check on tommorows mail, and going forward we would appreciate your prompt payment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If we don't get paid in 60 days we sign them over to American profit recovery which is a greens industry collection agency
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's nice when you finally get it tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you accept credit cards?
Posted via Mobile Device