Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't understand why it would take 16 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
This gives me a great idea. If we all kick in to cover the $1,500, with the caveat that the "web developer" wear a GoPro camera and broadcasts the 16 hours of work live via Google Hangout, I'd be in.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
This gives me a great idea. If we all kick in to cover the $1,500, with the caveat that the "web developer" wear a GoPro camera and broadcasts the 16 hours of work live via Google Hangout, I'd be in.
I'm consider an web development idiot and I still think I could figure it out within a quarter of that lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For $1500 I'll make sure your site autoplays Tony's Col. Potter video
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Blue Archer (the folks that manage your site) push WP very hard. Chances are your web site is on WP already. Point being as previously mentioned, incorporating a blog is not that difficult. ie their price is high. Conversely, they run a business and likely charge what the market will bear. That's what I do. It's still very high.

Is your site optimized for your service area? (In other words, are customers finding you via the web, or are the customers that you drum up reading about you after you provide the website to them?) I'd spend my time and effort on local optimization for customers to find you if you haven't already done that, and of course an integrated blog is one part of that (primarily for adding new, localized content.)

IMO, other than the rather small font size on my Slate, your website looks fantastic. The website looks extremely professional. Depending on your learning curve with WP, how much free time you have and your financial situation, dropping $1500 to have a turn key blog could be somewhat conceivable.

Get that site optimized and you have a major winner! Looks great!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$1500 and they add 2 blog posts every week for 6 months - a year is conceivable.

1500 and they merely install a blog. Is not conceivable
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Cleaning Virginia View Post
Blue Archer (the folks that manage your site) push WP very hard. Chances are your web site is on WP already.
The chances are exactly zero. It's an .asp site.

Quote:
IMO, other than the rather small font size on my Slate, your website looks fantastic. The website looks extremely professional.
The fonts look small because it's not mobile/tablet optimized. The site even uses tables. The freebie menu code the $90/hr developers used is over 10 years old and looks to account for approx 160 lines of pre-content coding. For somewhere in the ballpark of what Blue Archer wants for just the addition of a blog, he could have the entire site redone on WP, using current methods, including a blog, and be ready for that nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of traffic that is on a mobile device.

Quote:
Depending on your learning curve with WP, how much free time you have and your financial situation, dropping $1500 to have a turn key blog could be somewhat conceivable.
His financial situation? If he's Bill Gates, he's still getting ripped off for $1,500 and a few hours (at most) of work. I really am failing to understand how that bid, for that work, is conceivable.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
The chances are exactly zero. It's an .asp site.

The fonts look small because it's not mobile/tablet optimized. The site even uses tables. The freebie menu code the $90/hr developers used is over 10 years old and looks to account for approx 160 lines of pre-content coding. For somewhere in the ballpark of what Blue Archer wants for just the addition of a blog, he could have the entire site redone on WP, using current methods, including a blog, and be ready for that nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of traffic that is on a mobile device.

His financial situation? If he's Bill Gates, he's still getting ripped off for $1,500 and a few hours (at most) of work. I really am failing to understand how that bid, for that work, is conceivable.
Sounds like he should hire you TonyGreek :-)

(I wouldn't suggest cutting over an optimized site to a new site just before the busy season, but you appear to be much more well versed on this topic than I.)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
(I wouldn't suggest cutting over an optimized site to a new site just before the busy season, but you appear to be much more well versed on this topic than I.)
Nope, no real worries with that. If done correctly, a site can be ported over to a different platform or domain any time. The "done correctly" being the key, of course. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Who offers this type of service and how much does it cost to get a writer to write blogs? Please contact me if you do these services cause I'm a Lawn Tard and I just mow.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTard View Post
Who offers this type of service and how much does it cost to get a writer to write blogs? Please contact me if you do these services cause I'm a Lawn Tard and I just mow.
I can't tell you how much part of me hopes that's your company name and tagline.