Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2003, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

US Cargo lights

I have a 2001 US Cargo 6X10 open trailer. Last year i had some body work done on my truck and the guys forgot to reconnect the electrical hookup for my trailer. I had to do it myself and I dont' know a whole heck of a lot about doing that. Ever since I haven't been able to get all my trailer lights to work properly. Sometimes i have tailights, sometimes i don't. When I turn on the left blinker, it stays on for 3 seconds, then the indicator on the dash starts to slowly fade and dim, then finally stops. I know that all the bulbs are working good, so that's not it. Anyone know what is going on? I appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-14-2003, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check and see if you are getting a good gound. check both the truck and the trailer. Take all the ground connections off and file clean the connector and the surface it is being grounded to. also check and make sure you dont have a strey strand of wire touching another termanal in your truck and/or trailer plug. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks BLS. About how many grounds are there? Is there one for each light? sorry, but electric work is all chinese to me.

Thanks Again.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expert Lawns there should be a ground on the truck that is attached to the frame or ran up to the battery. On the trailer there should be a ground wire attached to the frame, this wire is probably white or sometimes black. Then each light is grounded through the bolt or rivet attaching it to the frame unless it is a recessed light then it has three wires coming out of it and the white wire will be attached to the frame. Take all of your grounds and clean them so you can see shiny metal surfaces then put them back together. Hopefully this will help you out. I have also attached a pic that shows how your trailer plugs should be wired that might help you track down other problems. I hope this helps, let me know what happens.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2003, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for all the help. i'll give it a shot this evening then i'll let you know how it went. thanks again, especially for the picture. i printed it out and will have it with me.