Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2003, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Paint for plywood trailer sides?

I've decided to paint the ply-wood sides on my trailer to make it look a little more presentable. What kind of paint should I use? Do I need a primer?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I would use a good oil based primer and a good oil based paint for your top coats the primer seals the plywood so it makes your paint job last longer. It will also semi fill the surface so you don't get the ghosting of the grain coming through your paint so it gives you a smoother looking surface.

The one thing I learned is make sure the primer matches the paint I worked for the local port authority painting docks etc well I got shipped off to a job with some primer and paint. I painted on the primer let it dry overnight then went to put the finish coats on and the paint didn't want to stick.

I told the manager they said it takes 4 coats to cover put more coats on it I said something isn't right and I tried arguing with them but they said the paint supplier said its the right primer

I tried putting another coat on and it covered but barely something wasn't jiving I got PO'ed so I went to the paint store and asked is this the right primer for this paint and they said "NO"

I said to the sales person someone told the port manager that its the right stuff for the paint so and they figured its supposed to take 4 coats of paint to get the proper results

The store clerk told me it should only take one coat of primer and 2 top coats of finish paint not 1 coat of primer and 4 coats of finish paint

I only did the one job for the Port the rest of it was done by student labour and they didn't have the experience to realize something was wrong. So the Port went through double the paint they were supposed to because some inexperienced paint sales person at the store

Sorry for rambling one but when you buy paint make sure everything matches the paint I was using was the same brand but something in the formulas didn't match. Lets put it this way the Port authority listened to me after that one
Old 03-19-2003, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply.