Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely 460 baffles while mulching

hoping a gravely tech may be able to chime in on this one.. we mulch all the time and was wondering if the adjustable baffles in the front of the deck need to be set in a certain position for optimum results.. less blowout? thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure your question will be answered tomorrow by either GMLC or the Gravely rep on here. Where in Louisiana are you? I'm actually suppose to sell both my mowers tomorrow to a guy in Alexandria and my plan is to purchase two new Gravelys by week end. Looking to get a 460 and either a 152 or 252. What engine do you have on your 460 and what are your thoughts of the mower?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly I have never run the mulch kit. I would assume the factory mulch kit would come with extra baffles and detailed instructions. I do know lowering the front baffles will create more lift.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

@grounds keeper im in lafayette..i have the 31hp.. love the mower i bought a 452 when they first came out cut quality is great ride is as good as your gonna get on a lawn mower. im an old school hustler guy and still run one super z and i switched to gravely when the new vx4 deck came out like i said we strictly mulch and down here that deck is horrible for mulching bad enough to the point our dealership said they were going to be puttin the xr7 deck back on.

@gmlc yes the kit come with mulch baffles what im talkin about is the adjustable baffles on front of deck im experiencing alot of blowout and the deck seems to be pushin the leaves away from deck im wondering if those baffles should be set in a certain position while mulching. more vacuum and less blowout
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnPro19 View Post
@grounds keeper im in lafayette..i have the 31hp.. love the mower i bought a 452 when they first came out cut quality is great ride is as good as your gonna get on a lawn mower. im an old school hustler guy and still run one super z and i switched to gravely when the new vx4 deck came out like i said we strictly mulch and down here that deck is horrible for mulching bad enough to the point our dealership said they were going to be puttin the xr7 deck back on.

@gmlc yes the kit come with mulch baffles what im talkin about is the adjustable baffles on front of deck im experiencing alot of blowout and the deck seems to be pushin the leaves away from deck im wondering if those baffles should be set in a certain position while mulching. more vacuum and less blowout
For leaves and mulching, lower the front baffles. It reduces blowout and creates more suction.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnPro19 View Post
hoping a gravely tech may be able to chime in on this one.. we mulch all the time and was wondering if the adjustable baffles in the front of the deck need to be set in a certain position for optimum results.. less blowout? thanks in advance
The blow out baffles on the front of the deck should be removed when mulching. The blow out baffles are meant to keep the grass inside of the mower deck, and when mulching, the mower deck has to be able to discharge the grass out of the bottom of the deck.

If you mulch a lot in your area, we recommend using the mulching kit. If you would send me a message with your exact model and serial number I can get the kit number for your Pro-Turn 460.

Thanks.

Mary Lyn