Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Better business burea????

Just got a call from the Better Business Bureau...was wondering what you guys thoughts are on being accredited by them??
is it worth $370 a year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can spend $370/year on something better. I let my membership lapse this year. Not worth the money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hmmm ive heard mixed reviews on this....ive read where it's suggested by many marketing and consultant gurus.

hears my PERSONAL (not professional opinion)
they can go suck an egg along with angie's list....

The only thing in my opinion they bring is a place for people who have it out for you to leave a one sided record of the fact that they don't like their father's brother's cousin has competition, or you actually made them pay their bill they thought they were going to scam you on.

An establishment that makes you pay them so they can regulate you.....
I say no.

But I dont have any data or proof to back up this opinion.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I can spend $370/year on something better. I let my membership lapse this year. Not worth the money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto, they are a thing of the past. Now days if anyone wants a review or reference they can google it and get a more accurate and comprehensive snapshot of the company they are considering.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! That is what I was thinking! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

At a previous employment, I had an un-pleaseable customer indicate she was going to call them. I said "Go ahead, I'm not a member of that extortionist organization." She put my quote which was included in the complaint that was forwarded to me by the BBB. I replied with her signed contract and her final signed work order which indicated she got what she had contracted us for. The BBB closed it in my favor.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The BBB publishes a directory on some cities not in mine but they do in myinlaws and mails to ever house hold like a phone book of companies safe to deal with many older people really use it. Honestly if they did yhe dorectory here for 600 year for membership I would be on it. By the way 370 is companies with no employees,
You should keep a updated profile with them that cost nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With the tactics they use to try to extort money out of me on the regular, I would never recommend anyone shell out one red cent to them. They are always trying to pay them for this and that and basically almost threaten me with a less than stellar rating and promising not to help me should a complaint come in unless I give them the money. I don't even bother answering the call any more. The last time I talked to a BBB rep she cussed at me and that was the last straw. It's all one huge money grabbing scam.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a fan of the BBB, and will not pay to be accredited. However, that is mainly because I don't spend any money on marketing.

If I was spending on marketing, and my website was a big part of that, I would definitely pay- no matter what I think of them. The fact is that a lot of people trust the BBB and actually think it's a government agency. Having that a+ rating badge on your website is an instant trust builder for a lot of people. You only get a few seconds to convince someone to stay on your site- $370 a year doesn't seem so bad for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I see someone advertising an A+ BBB Rating, all it makes me think is that I know they shelled out a ton of money for it and would shell out a bunch more just to keep it there. I don't pay any attention to BBB Ratings because I know how they work. I understand that quite a few people don't really know though. I simply don't trust any sort of internet ratings for businesses. It has been sociologically proven that people have a greater propensity for speaking out if they feel they have been wronged or screwed over in one way or another than if they had a pleasant experience with a business. So you never know if the 3 bad reviews for a business is a good representation of their overall business or not because you don't really know their sales volume in comparison. Anyway, I just don't trust internet ratings at all. I understand a lot of people do though.