Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why don't you want a 36" wb? you could find a decent belt drive for $1000 - $2000. it is so much better than a 21" push.
I would definitely pass out flyers in the areas you want to do.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would not limit myself to small lawns. It is obvious that to do 5 acre lawn with a 21" is not wise.

Though the goal should be to as many lawns as possible so the money can be made to buy bigger mowers. So it will be a struggle to do 1 acre property's though in the end you will have the biger mower to keep doing it and many more.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can definitely see doing smaller yards. around here 1 acre is $60 to $70 tops in most cases.
However .1 to .25 acres is $25- $40. There are various advantages to doing only small yards, as well as advantages to having a huge mower and doing large yards too..
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not opposed to mowing larger lawns. I don't even remember how long 1 acre takes with a 21". But, it will take a while to save up for those larger mowers, and then I'm not sure what size I would buy, because anything that can't fit through the gates means it won't help me on all the small to medium size back lawns. So I'm wondering how much time a 32"-36" would save me on a 1 acre lawn? It's still going to take longer to do the edging.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
Depending on your area, a newspaper ad might not be a very efficient way to advertise. I live in a city with almost 1.4 million people, and about 450 square miles, so I don't want to advertise all over the city, because my driving time and gas cost would be horrible. If you pass out flyers you can pick the areas you want to mow, and some neighborhoods seem to have smaller average lawns than others.
And who looks in the newspaper for lawn care?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

other advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I don't know. I don't think that many people read the newspaper. And same goes for the yellow pages. They tried to call me and sell me an ad. lol Their marketing was an OK idea (you only pay if you get calls). But it was too much per call. I think it was $20 or $30. Maybe if I was doing landscaping jobs I could afford that but not for mowing and trimming! And I still don't know who reads the yellow pages. lol

I've had some people tell me to use bulk mail targeted by zip code, or coupon packs. Those might be worth looking into.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Newspaper advertising was great 15 years ago. Same with the phone book.

Pass out flyers, get a cheap website, craigslist, backpage....the list goes on and on and on. It can be done, just advertise like crazy.

I have a 2 man crew mow many smaller yards, and can tell you this....everyone else is targeting smaller yards. There is A LOT more competition with smaller yards because of the cheap equipment needed and anyone with a 21" can do it. When I quote larger yards, its only me and a few others involved giving the customers quotes because of the bigger mowers needed. The choice is all yours on which direction you want to go. Either way, it takes a lot of advertising.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a one man operation. I have a 60" CZT Bad Boy and a 22" Craftsman self propelled.

The push will wear out faster but I will make a killing on it. I paid $250 tops for it maybe three years ago. Before I started this business. If I can take care of it and get maybe 100 cuts minimum out of it for $35 per cut. That's is $3500 less the cost of mower and gas.

I am in an area that gas plenty of small and big yards. I like to do my small yards at one time and will put everything in the back of my truck. Saves gas money by not pulling my trailer. But it makes me look smaller by not having my trailer set up with me.

I can do a pretty open acre in an hour with my ZTR. But i can do a my push mows in 40-45 mins and have a whole lot less overhead. So do the math.

I am going to try and get more smaller yards.

2014 Bad Boy CZT 60"
Craftsman 21" Self Propelled
Echo SRM-210
Echo SRM-280t
Husqvarna 150bt Blower
2014 Ram 2500 HD 4x4
14' Landscape Trailer
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Find an area where you see several lawns that look a bit long to you. Then unload your mower from your vehicle, push it with you as you hit every home. Simply knock on their door and tell them you'll mow their grass for $x amount. My price is $5, but some people charge their own rate.

If your price is low enough, you'll get a lot of cash jobs. Make sure you have them sign a waiver before mowing.

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh boy. Solid advice right there. Lol. Waiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
Find an area where you see several lawns that look a bit long to you. Then unload your mower from your vehicle, push it with you as you hit every home. Simply knock on their door and tell them you'll mow their grass for $x amount. My price is $5, but some people charge their own rate.

If your price is low enough, you'll get a lot of cash jobs. Make sure you have them sign a waiver before mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device